+ Post New Thread
Page 22 of 45 FirstFirst ... 1218192021222324252632 ... LastLast
Hardware Thread, Sun Storage 7110 in Technical; Yes better to seperate them with vlans. If you just reply on subnetting and you make a mistake with the ...
    Thank Post
    Yes better to seperate them with vlans. If you just reply on subnetting and you make a mistake with the subnet masks you could potentially reveal all your storage by accident to the rest of the network.

Butuz

Thank Post
    Is the ILOM the same accross the range?

I've just downoaded V3.0 of the ILOM and installed it on my X4150 but I can't seem to find a version for the 7110 can the same image be used or does it have a specific version?

Thank Post
    @cookie_monster: IIRC the 7110 is a X4150 chasis. The ILOM (Service Processor in Sun speak) is fully flashed out the box... just SSH or navigate to the web page.

Thank Post
    X4240 AMD type chassis - the 4150 is 1u and Xeon.

Butuz

Thank Post
    Hey all, got a couple of S7000 questions I'm hoping someone might be able to shed some light on...

First the simple one - Has anyone had any issues with Firefox 3.5 and the S7000 BUI? I'm on the previous firmware release rather than the very latest one and I get in-BUI errors that are handled by the interface (box drops down from the top of the screen). It doesn't hang the BUI but is worrying as I've also had one with IE8. I can replicate it with FF3.5 so I know it's not a one-off, does anyone know if the latest release fixes these or do I need to file a bug report?

Second is the complicated one - We have two domains here (thanks, Capita!) and I need users on the admin domain to be able to access CIFS shares on the S7000, even though the box itself is joined to the curriculum domain. If I try to add permissions on the share or root-level ACL on the S7000 as group@admindomain.local it tells me it's an unknown or invalid user. Our Windows servers allow us to add a group from a different domain to a folder ACL, anyone know how can I do this on the Sun box?

Many thanks in advance,
    Chris

Thank Post
    @Duke:
    1. I've noticed the error boxes you mentioned in IE8. Sun say that IE8 isn't a supported browser so I thought it was something to do with that.

2. I assume you have a trust in place between your domains. Could you not create a user group on the curriculum domain containing users from the admin domain?

Thank Post
    Hi Phil,

Quote Originally Posted by Hebdenlad View Post
    There were some early issues around cross-forest and AD. Update your appliance to the latest firmware version and this should be fixed.

Cheers,

Phil
    Tried that but still no joy - appliance is now running Version 2009.04.10.3.0,1-1.16 but still running into the same problems.

I've got a support case open with Sun at the moment about this. I'll PM you the case number if you want to take a look at it.

Cheers

Alan.

Thank Post
    Hi,

I am new to all this but I recently purchased a X4150 and am very happy with the build quality and performance. I have been reading through this thread and I am wanting to purchase a couple of 7110's to consolidate all my data from various servers.

1. I currently run DFS with the data coming from 2 servers, am I able to still run DFS with the data being held on the 7110's?

2. Which protocol is best suited to DFS - NFS or iSCSI - performance will play a part in this?

3. I am also considering moving my SIMS Database, etc onto the 7110 and having a cluster setup at the front end for fault tolerance is this viable?

4. As I said before I use DFS this obviously kept my data replicated a cross servers, is it still okay to do that with the 7110 or are you able to use the built in replication to do this better?

Sorry for all the questions I might have more, but any help would be greatly appreciated.

Craig

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric_ View Post
    @Duke:
    1. I've noticed the error boxes you mentioned in IE8. Sun say that IE8 isn't a supported browser so I thought it was something to do with that.

2. I assume you have a trust in place between your domains. Could you not create a user group on the curriculum domain containing users from the admin domain?
    1) Oddly IE8 is actually working better for me than FF3.5 right now! In Firefox, if I go to a shares page then the access page then mouseover the 'ACL Behaviour' area I get:

Code:
    Exception type: Error
    Native message: Permission denied to access property 'akl_list' from a non-chrome context
    Mapped file: https://hostname:215/lib/ak/akList.js line 1581
    Mapped stack trace:
       /lib/ak/akList.js:1581	@akListReferenceFromObject([object SystemOnlyWrapper])
       /lib/ak/akList.js:2170	@(1,[object MouseEvent])
       /lib/ak/akList.js:2179	@([object MouseEvent])
       /lib/ak/akSubr.js:86	@([object MouseEvent])
    I'll upgrade to the latest release later and test it.

EDIT: Bug still exists with the latest release and FF3.5. I know they might not officially support it yet, but everyone's going to be upgrading from FF3 to FF3.5 pretty quickly. Anyone know how to file a bug report with Sun's storage/hardware team?

2) Well I certainly though so... I can add admin groups and users to an ACL on a curriculum server with no problem (admindomain\username) so I assume there is some trust between the domains, but if I try to make a group in the curriculum AD and add an admin user it can't find it or see that domain, so perhaps not?

Cheers,
    Chris
    Last edited by Duke; 8th July 2009 at 04:52 PM.

Thank Post
    UPDATE: The latest firmware release doesn't provide a solution to the FF3.5 bugs or the two-domain issue, but I do have a workaround for the latter if it affects anyone else:

We have full trust between our two domains, but the S7000 still won't see user accounts or groups on Domain B if it's joined to Domain A. As Ric_ points out, the most obvious solution would be to create a group in Domain A and add users from Domain B to it. However, this doesn't appear to be possible, at least not for us and other people I found online.

What you can do however is add a group from one domain to a group on another domain, so the solution is to create a group in Domain A called Domain B Users and give Domain B's admin account control of it. Then go onto Domain B, pick a group that contains all your Domain B users, to go 'Member Of' and select Domain B Users from Domain A.

You can now go onto the S7000 and add Domain B Users@Domain A from the same domain that the SAN is on, and it will apply the permissions to the users on Domain B.

Anyone know about submitting bugs to Sun regarding the FF3.5 issues?

Cheers,
    Chris

Thank Post
    Does anyone know if there will be a JBOD addon for the 7110 yet?

Also I can't get the Phone Home service to connect either, i've definitely entered the right proxy and port I get the message below. We're on EMBC if that helps anyone.

The appliance was unable to connect to the remote support servers (or the web proxy, if specified). Check your proxy and network configuration
    Thanks.
    Last edited by cookie_monster; 20th July 2009 at 11:31 AM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    UPDATE: The latest firmware release doesn't provide a solution to the FF3.5 bugs or the two-domain issue, but I do have a workaround for the latter if it affects anyone else:

We have full trust between our two domains, but the S7000 still won't see user accounts or groups on Domain B if it's joined to Domain A. As Ric_ points out, the most obvious solution would be to create a group in Domain A and add users from Domain B to it. However, this doesn't appear to be possible, at least not for us and other people I found online.

What you can do however is add a group from one domain to a group on another domain, so the solution is to create a group in Domain A called Domain B Users and give Domain B's admin account control of it. Then go onto Domain B, pick a group that contains all your Domain B users, to go 'Member Of' and select Domain B Users from Domain A.

You can now go onto the S7000 and add Domain B Users@Domain A from the same domain that the SAN is on, and it will apply the permissions to the users on Domain B.

Anyone know about submitting bugs to Sun regarding the FF3.5 issues?

Cheers,
    Chris
    Morning.

If you guys are coming across bugs on a regular basis can you please feed them back to me as soon as you can? Once I know about them I can determine if they are actually bugs or if there is a solution that already exists.

You can either PM or reply on here and I'll pick it up as soon as possible.

If they are real showstoppers then log a support call and / or call me via the number I have on here.

Cheers,

Phil

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    Does anyone know if there will be a JBOD addon for the 7110 yet?
    It's no secret that this won't be possible.

Also I can't get the Phone Home service to connect either, i've definitely entered the right proxy and port I get the message below. We're on EMBC if that helps anyone.
    Are you using a local proxy? Does that have error logs that suggest what the problem might be?

Thank Post
    It's no secret that this won't be possible.
    Oh...this was being seriously talked about as an option when we bought it So there are no expansion options for the 7110 then, if we want more storage we just buy another unit?

Are you using a local proxy? Does that have error logs that suggest what the problem might be?
    It goes straight to the LEA proxy, all i see in the logs is

Registered new client public key for SOA Failed (unable to connect)
    Cheers.
    Last edited by cookie_monster; 20th July 2009 at 04:51 PM.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by cookie_monster View Post
    Oh...this was being seriously talked about as an option when we bought it So there are no expansion options for the 7110 then, if we want more storage we just buy another unit?
    Replacing the disks may be an option - Sun down't currently have an upgrade option though so it means buying lots of new SAS disk

It goes straight to the LEA proxy, all i see in the logs is
    If you have a local proxy that could be used, you would be able to get more log messages. Mine run through a Smoothie UTM which goes upstream to the LA proxy.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread