+ Post New Thread
Page 21 of 45 FirstFirst ... 1117181920212223242531 ... LastLast
Hardware Thread, Sun Storage 7110 in Technical; Originally Posted by Soulfish Now you're making me jealous It's been around 12 months hard work developing the philisophy and ...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulfish View Post
    Now you're making me jealous
    It's been around 12 months hard work developing the philisophy and plan for moving forward and selling it to Teachers, SLT and Governors. Just in absolute shock at the moment that everything has finally been agreed and signed off, defo pint or two tonight

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    It's been around 12 months hard work developing the philisophy and plan for moving forward and selling it to Teachers, SLT and Governors. Just in absolute shock at the moment that everything has finally been agreed and signed off, defo pint or two tonight
    Currently working on a similar plan for us. Here's hoping I eventually get my plans approved!

Thank Post

Sun 7110 AD Problems

Hi,

I just got my nice shiny new Storage 7110 delivered last Friday but I'm having some trouble getting it bound to our AD.

I've applied the latest update 2009.04.10.3.0,1-1.16 but I'm still having problems.

Basically our organisation has two active directory forests.

The first is our primary live domain and the 7110 doesn't even acknowledge it's existence - when i try to join it I get the error:

"The specified domain controller could not be contacted, or the domain is invalid for the controller."

That domain is pretty non-standard though - The realm name is the same as our DNS root, but the DNS root is not handled by AD - the DNS is handled by BIND with only the necessary AD zones (_ldap._tcp etc) being delegated to the AD DC's...

I was more hopeful with our test/development domain - this is more of a standard AD setup - Windows server 2008 and the DNS root for this domain is fully delegated to the AD DC's. However I still get the error:

"The specified domain controller could not be contacted, or the domain is invalid for the controller."

After reading some advice on Sun forums I tried dropping the LAN Manager compatibility level from 4 to 2. This had no effect on our live domain but on our test/development domain I now get a different error:

"The attempt to join the Active Directory domain failed either because the clocks of the appliance and the domain controller are skewed or the administrative user does not have the appropriate permissions to create a computer account in Active Directory. It is recommended that NTP be used to keep clocks synchronized when using Active Directory."

The clocks are within seconds of each other so clock skew isn't the problem and I have full domain admin rights in the test/devel AD so permissions shouldn't be an issue.

Looking in the eventvwr of the DC I occasionally see NETLOGON errors when I'm attempting these joins of:

"The session setup from the computer XXXX-YYYY failed to authenticate. The name(s
    ) of the account(s) referenced in the security database is XXXX-YYYY$. The foll
    owing error occurred:
    Access is denied."

The 7110 is setup to use the AD DC as it's DNS server and it's NTP server.

I'm kind of stuck as to what to try next.

Can anyone help?

Cheers

Alan.

Thank Post
    I think its the format you are using for your ad username that may be causing the problem, try using username@domain format.

Thank Post
    Know exactly how you feel mate! Last two years we have only had £5k per year to spend on IT so to finally get the go ahead from SMT/Govenors to order the 7110s and Fire servers was like a breath of fresh air!

Butuz

Thank Post
    Yay, just had our full server infrastructure replacement project approved. Means we are getting a 22TB 7310 with 1x read and 2x write accelerators, plus some Dell servers which will attach to our existing 7110's for the virtualisation project.
    Those SSD flash accelerators really fly! It's really cool to get the disk hierarchy graphs up and highlight each disk individually, you can then see usage on the SSD followed by a flush to the disks every 30-odd seconds. If you read Brendan Gregg's blog on Sun he reckons you'd need HDD's spinning at 100K RPM or faster to compete with the SSDs.

Chris

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Duke View Post
    Those SSD flash accelerators really fly! It's really cool to get the disk hierarchy graphs up and highlight each disk individually, you can then see usage on the SSD followed by a flush to the disks every 30-odd seconds. If you read Brendan Gregg's blog on Sun he reckons you'd need HDD's spinning at 100K RPM or faster to compete with the SSDs.

Chris
    Yeah, can't wait.
    Must admit the 7110's have done a great job for CIFS shares, but they are too small and with the current changes taking place in our curricullum and delivery strategy we wanted something with massive storage and performance.

Thank Post
    I think its the format you are using for your ad username that may be causing the problem, try using username@domain format.
    Nope that's not it - if I try username@realm all i get is the "could not find domain controller" error.

Looking in the 7110 logs - for our 2008 AD I get:

2009-7-2 11:47:44
    smbd[667]

error

smbd: failed joining <REALM> (UNSUCCESSFUL)

and for our primary 2003 AD:

2009-7-2 11:52:19
    smbd[667]

error

smbd: failed locating domain controller for <REALM>

Thank Post
    @sev9756: Have you completed the DC information within the CIFS services page first? You may also need to restart that service.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric_ View Post
    @sev9756: Have you completed the DC information within the CIFS services page first? You may also need to restart that service.
    Yep tried that Ric - I've entered the name of our DC with the PDC emulator role into the CIFS service and restarted it (indeed I've bounced the entire box!)

Still no joy I'm afraid....

Cheers

Alan.

sjl
    Thank Post
    Iíve managed to get our 7110 and 2 SunFire x4140ís up and running today with VMWARE ESXi 4 - it was pretty painless (with a few expletives Ė but i blame the heat). Iíve been happy as Larry moving VMs about from one ESX host to the other and messing about with snapshots Ė all good stuff!

Has anyone used a snapshot to restore a SIMS server after a botched upgrade say? I suppose it would be a bit dodgy with SQL would it not Ė and itís not like SIMS upgrades often go wrong

sev9756: I had a problem at first joining the 7110 to our domain and i think what solved it was using the FQDN of our DC.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sev9756 View Post
    Hi,

I just got my nice shiny new Storage 7110 delivered last Friday but I'm having some trouble getting it bound to our AD.

I've applied the latest update 2009.04.10.3.0,1-1.16 but I'm still having problems.

Basically our organisation has two active directory forests.

The first is our primary live domain and the 7110 doesn't even acknowledge it's existence - when i try to join it I get the error:

That domain is pretty non-standard though - The realm name is the same as our DNS root, but the DNS root is not handled by AD - the DNS is handled by BIND with only the necessary AD zones (_ldap._tcp etc) being delegated to the AD DC's...

I was more hopeful with our test/development domain - this is more of a standard AD setup - Windows server 2008 and the DNS root for this domain is fully delegated to the AD DC's. However I still get the error:

After reading some advice on Sun forums I tried dropping the LAN Manager compatibility level from 4 to 2. This had no effect on our live domain but on our test/development domain I now get a different error:

"The attempt to join the Active Directory domain failed either because the clocks of the appliance and the domain controller are skewed or the administrative user does not have the appropriate permissions to create a computer account in Active Directory. It is recommended that NTP be used to keep clocks synchronized when using Active Directory."

The clocks are within seconds of each other so clock skew isn't the problem and I have full domain admin rights in the test/devel AD so permissions shouldn't be an issue.

Looking in the eventvwr of the DC I occasionally see NETLOGON errors when I'm attempting these joins of:

"The session setup from the computer XXXX-YYYY failed to authenticate. The name(s
    ) of the account(s) referenced in the security database is XXXX-YYYY$. The foll
    owing error occurred:
    Access is denied."

The 7110 is setup to use the AD DC as it's DNS server and it's NTP server.

I'm kind of stuck as to what to try next.

Can anyone help?

Cheers

Alan.
    There were some early issues around cross-forest and AD. Update your appliance to the latest firmware version and this should be fixed.

Cheers,

Phil

Thank Post
    If you have iSCSI/NFS traffic on a seperat IP range to your normal traffic and your servers and SAN are all plugged into the same switch is it still necessary to VLAN the ports as well?

sjl
    Thank Post
    Are you not using a separate switch for your NFS/iSCSI traffic to the SAN? If they were on the same switch I would of thought using VLANs would be best if only for security. Also if they are on separate VLANs they are in different broadcast domains so you donít get all the chatter from your other network.

Thank Post
    We have a dedicated switch for these servers and the iSCSI and SAN connections, they won't have the entire switch to themselves though. I probably will VLAN them I was just wondering if it was completly necessary.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread