+ Post New Thread
Page 14 of 45 FirstFirst ... 410111213141516171824 ... LastLast
Hardware Thread, Sun Storage 7110 in Technical; ...
    Thank Post
    Just come back from a meeting with Andy (Cutter) and Phil (SUN) (Thanks Guys!!) Phil gave a very intresting presentation on the road map of the 7000 series and itís looking amazing. Those of you using them for home shares etc will have some very interesting options coming your way which I guarantee you'll love!! Unfortunately cannot say what exactly but trust me you will be happy! Generation 2 of the 7110 looks interesting I would say itís becoming more like the other higher end boxes but at a better starting price bracket so looking to be brilliant option for lower budgets.

All I can say is watch this space and if youíre in the market for a SAN or unified storage systems then these boxes are looking to be a good longer term investment.

2. 2 Thanks to RobFuller:

Hebdenlad (1st June 2009), linescanner (1st June 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by RobFuller View Post
    Just come back from a meeting with Andy (Cutter) and Phil (SUN) (Thanks Guys!!) Phil gave a very intresting presentation on the road map of the 7000 series and itís looking amazing. Those of you using them for home shares etc will have some very interesting options coming your way which I guarantee you'll love!! Unfortunately cannot say what exactly but trust me you will be happy! Generation 2 of the 7110 looks interesting I would say itís becoming more like the other higher end boxes but at a better starting price bracket so looking to be brilliant option for lower budgets.

All I can say is watch this space and if youíre in the market for a SAN or unified storage systems then these boxes are looking to be a good longer term investment.
    Rob,

Many thanks for your time this afternoon and glad you liked what was under the proverbial kimono.

Always enjoy meeting customers and going through how we're developing the S7000.

Hope you can make the S7000 Discovery Day on the 9th June in London.

Regards,

Phil

Thank Post

I'm looking forward to sitting down with Phil and seeing what Sun have got in store for us S7000 customers next week, and picking up some hopefully useful information at the Sun discovery day

5. Thanks to Soulfish from:

Hebdenlad (2nd June 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulfish View Post
    I'm looking forward to sitting down with Phil and seeing what Sun have got in store for us S7000 customers next week, and picking up some hopefully useful information at the Sun discovery day
    Cheers for the reply on the thread.

The Discovery Days should be interesting to say the least! I hope you're looking forward to an action packed morning for those of you attending!

I always enjoy the group sing-song at then end of these sessions (lol!). All together now... "Hi ho...."

Regards,

Phil

Thank Post
    Just come back from a meeting with Andy (Cutter) and Phil (SUN) (Thanks Guys!!) [...]
    Having had the same meeting last week with Phil and Mike I can also give this a big +1. The roadmap makes for very interesting reading, and should put to rest anyone's concerns about the future of the product. If the planned features go ahead then this is a very strong product line-up that has the potential to compete with the vast majority of mid- and high-end SAN systems. Great job from the guys at Sun, they're really on to a winner with this stuff.

Cheers,
    Chris

8. Thanks to Duke from:

Hebdenlad (3rd June 2009)

Thank Post
    Oracle stares into Sun for storage future ? The Register

here's an interesting read from a month back, talking about oracle-sun, and the various storage and tape product lines.

A lot of guesswork going on, some of it may well turn out to be well off the mark, but i tend to agree about the continuing OEM'ing of storage from the likes of LSI and HDS that sun currently do to fill out the storage lineup. There's definitely still a big market for the medium and high-end storagetek tape products, but Sun - whether it be with the S7000 or another in-house developed product need to be competing with EMC and IBM in terms of VTL and disk based backup products looking ahead.

As for primary storage then you'd need a viable alternative to the oem USP kit for the high-end market. If the sun S7000 roadmap is pitching towards the midmarket and does FC san and does it well, then it'd be interesting to see what happens with the OEM'ed products. Especially if they develop a true high-end S7000 product that can scale the way the USP/9900 kit scales.

10. Thanks to torledo from:

Thank Post
    I have a question for Phil or Andy with regards to power protection. The SAN is being powered though a UPS and direct mains, the question I have is in the event of power outage the SAN will have a sudden power loss. The servers accessing the disks should have powered down before this happens so disk access will be nonexistent but is this good for the SAN? Should an agent be loaded onto the SAN to do a graceful shutdown? I currently have APC UPS's with the network management card and the switch protected but the UPS also! Any advice or guides much appreciated.

Thanks,
    Rob

Thank Post
    @ RobFuller

Hi Rob, this could become quite a good discussion I was thinking about this issue myself, would it be a good idea to start a new thread and post a link here? Just a suggestion of course

Thank Post
    Hi Grant,

Good idea, this thread is getting very long now.

Please see: Sun Storage 7000 Power Protection Options Thread

Thank Post
    Is the 7110 4TB providing enough storage for everyone? We are trying to work out what size San we need based on currently having 1tb of data spread across servers, and with visualization in mind a 4TB san would nearly be at capacity? doesn't seem like a future proof option, especially as its not expandable?

15. Thanks to PRicho from:

Thank Post
    I'd say buy as much as you can afford to. I've got about 2TB in use, but that's constantly growing and I know I'll want room for development when we use it for virtualisation too. Add in the snapshots, room for new projects, archiving old data... I went for a 22TB 7410 with the knowledge I can expand it to 500+TB should I ever need it. We'll probably be using completely different hardware by the time we need 500TB but it's good to know the option is there.

Presumably you're only limited by budget? If so, and if you're anything like us, this is a long-term investment that's going to hold your data for a long time. Treat it as such and spend accordingly.

Cheers,
    Chris

17. Thanks to Duke from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts
    Anyone going on the Manchester / Northern Discovery Day next Wednesday at all? I'm booked on it so would be good to meet other Edugeeks if any are going

19. Thanks to john from:

Thank Post
    @ Duke: how would you back all of that up even if you were only using say 20Tb, also archiving and offsite storage of the backups?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Anyone going on the Manchester / Northern Discovery Day next Wednesday at all? I'm booked on it so would be good to meet other Edugeeks if any are going
    In a similar vein, is anybody going on the Tuesday Discovery Day in London?

Thank Post
    I'm attending the London one Soulfish

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread