+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Qwizdom in Technical; Do any schools here use it? Got a quote in for this system, but its pretty expensive. Is it worth ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Qwizdom

Do any schools here use it? Got a quote in for this system, but its pretty expensive. Is it worth it?

I cant see it more than a gimmick really, do they get used much?

Also, are there any other manufacturers making similar products I should be aware of?

Thanks.

Thank Post
    Yes.

It's pricey, and doesn't get used a huge amount (mostly in science), but when it does, the girls just light up. The science HoD uses it for end-of-topic reviews and so on, and they're certainly a lot more interested when she does than when she doesn't.

Thank Post
    We've got some, don't get used much at the moment, but they seem to work quite well when they are used.

We've using their powerpoint based, it's a bit of a pig to roll out. I'll dig out my notes.

Thank Post
    We currently run two sets of them here, one older 'blue' set and a set of 30 red ones with little screens in them (technical explanation as I dont know models)
    The red set were bought by our maths department and get a fair amount of use. One of the dept created a whole bunch of resources and has shared them out accross the network. The blue set doesnt get used as much but there seemed to be a fair amount of interest in them recently.

Thank Post
    We have some but they haven't been used for ages because they take so long to set up. Also, the kids with a tendency to be hyper in lessons go completely ape!

Thank Post
    The insistence on .net 3.5 is a real pita. You end up having to install patches and deploy the certain versions of .net. I found the only way to do this was to make sure XP SP3 went on last by disabling it until Qwizdom installed.

Thank Post
    Any system that takes an hour to prepare five minutes of questions and costs a fortune isn't worth using! We have Senteo and once you get the initial setup done it is easy to use. It integrates with the SMARTBoard software and can be used with prepared questions or you can make the questions up as you go along in class. Of course you need to get decent training first!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Thanks for the heads up to senteo. What kind of price does that come in at?

Thank Post
    We bought Qwizdom a while ago and have had alot of dot net errors!!!!!!

buggy software as well as dodgy handsets that dont always connect first time!

Thank Post
    Some of teachers use it a lot here. They like the voting and percentage area.

Nightmare to setup and install the software though.

Thank Post
    Senteo - don't know price. Try speaking to Richard at Datacable 01535690075

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,692 Times in 1,506 Posts
    Just get your teachers bluetooth dongles for their laptops if they don't have it built in and let your pupils use the bluetooth on their mobile phones?

Ben

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Forwarded the info of senteo to the staff who are after these systems, and got this reply.

Looks great, the only worry I have is the adaptability for language based subjects. The remote only seems to have the first half of the alphabet. This would restrict questions to true/false or multi choice.
    Quizdom gives the option of answering with a word, phrase, or number instead of true/false or a multi-choice selection.

Smart may be looking to upgrade this facility in which it would definately be a good system. I don't know if you can find out if numeric and word/phrase answers are possible using the system.

Apart from that, it looks good.

Can someone who uses it answer whether it will do what it is they are asking?

Thank Post

Smile Qwizdom's remotes

I have found Qwizdom to be by far the most easy to use student response system on the market. It is simply powerpoint! If you are unfamiliar with powerpoint then granted it takes some getting used to, if, like surely most of us though, you are able to use Powerpoint then Qwizdom's Actionpoint (a Powerpoint plug in) is an absolute doddle to use.
    I use it with a top set maths group - who love it. We also use it in school for engaging children with EAL (English as an Additional Language). Many of those children are delighted to be able to demonstrate an understanding of a concept without having to write in a script that they are not familiar with. Imagine if you had to start writing in an Arabic script to show you understood concepts!
    It is worth noting as well that the support I and schools in our cluster have recieved from Qwizdom has been first class, unlike many companies in the technology industry who seem to promise the earth and deliver very little!

Thank Post
    We use Senteo and I love that I can just press a button in the notebook software and ask the class a question. We are looking at getting another set as apparently they are on offer at the moment

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information