+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Hardware Thread, Minimum height for Smartboard installation in Technical; for health and safety reasons, as i understand it, the projector ( ceiling mounted) cannot be lower than the height ...
    Thank Post

what about health and safety

for health and safety reasons, as i understand it, the projector ( ceiling mounted) cannot be lower than the height of the door top, and the board should not be lower than the tables used in the particular room. I understand this will stop any claims for hit heads, or bad backs.
    Our suppliers stick to this rule, and with good reason.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by farmerste View Post
    for health and safety reasons, as i understand it, the projector ( ceiling mounted) cannot be lower than the height of the door top, and the board should not be lower than the tables used in the particular room.
    That does make (some) sense, but it should be noted that is your supplier's practice, not law. One problem with mounting the board so high as you suggest is that you may not be able to reach the top.

We put our projectors much higher than some suppliers recommend (around 2.4m up), as it keeps them out the way, encourages people to use the remote not jab at the buttons and keeps them as far out of the teachers' eye lines as possible. Obviously, our boom-mounted ones are lower, but even those are comfortably above head-height (except the height-adjustable ones which I keep smacking my head on - ideal height for 4-yr-olds and smaller teachers, but not so good for 6-foot me!)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by NickJones View Post
    There are no legal height restrictions, however do remember that the height-adjustable boards can only be moved by around 60cm (I think), so you should also factor in how high you might need it to go as well as how low.
    Workplace health and safety will/should say otherwise, it should be a height that the teacher doesn't have to strain their back bending over/looking up to use it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by p858snake View Post
    Workplace health and safety will/should say otherwise, it should be a height that the teacher doesn't have to strain their back bending over/looking up to use it.
    Fair point. A height-adjustable one would address this, of course, as the teacher could raise it when they wanted to use it and slide it back down for the pupils. If the board is mounted at a fixed height, it needs to be one suitable for both a 3-foot child and a 6-foot teacher.

Thank Post

what about

err, what about a 3 foot teacher with six feet ??

Thank Post
    Your supplier really should have all of this information for you.

The general rules of thumb are as follows:

Mount the boards with the bottom sitting around 700 - 1000mm from the floor, this is a reasonable height for teachers not to injure their backs using the boards. If you have small children use a step or height adjustable wall mount. DO NOT MOUNT A BOARD AT EXTREMELLY LOW OR FLOOR LEVEL.

There are no specific health and safety laws concerning projectors (however there certainly should be as I have seen some ridiculously unsafe installations), however the guidelines in place for the ceiling mounted projecors were to mount at around 2.4m+, the main reason for this was the bright light shining in teachers eyes. With wall mounted projectors there is less chance of the light shining directly into your eyes if you stand to the side of the board whilst addressing the class, so typical height for the projector tends to be a little lower at around 2m.

If you are unsure your supplier should be offering site surveys and support in getting the correct solution for you. It is not worth saving a couple of hundred pounds if the boards then become very dificult to use.

DC

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrenC View Post
    If you have small children use a step or height adjustable wall mount. DO NOT MOUNT A BOARD AT EXTREMELLY LOW OR FLOOR LEVEL.
    So when the child finishes with the board, moves back and falls a-over-t off the step, breaks an arm/leg/neck....

If the difference between teacher and pupil height is an issue, I say get a height-adjustable board. Let's face it, the cost of the height adjust kit is FAR smaller than the cost of an injured pupil.

Thank Post
    I agree, personally I think that the height adjustable boards are a far better idea, however some schools walls are made out of paper and as such we can not install a HAWM unit onto these as they simply will not take the weight.

I do think the step is a better option than mounting the board at a very low level, you could say that you should remove all furniture from classrooms as children could potentially fall and hit their head on a desk. The steps are ruggerised to make them non slip and as long as care is taken there is no more reason for accidents than normal with a step.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DarrenC View Post
    Your supplier really should have all of this information for you.
    This is exactly what I thought. A good installer will know what height to install the board at, and will have experience of various installs. They should have the knowledge with regards to height, power, projectors etc.

Thank Post
    If you cannot get the height adjust boards get the teacher to mark the wall where the top of the board should be. That way they dont complain. Please note that the height of the board may affect the length of the post that the fitters fit to the projector.

I only advice this as if you decide it will be wrong. But if they decide they will have to live with it.

Richard

Thank Post
    If you cannot get the height adjust boards get the teacher to mark the wall where the top of the board should be. That way they dont complain. Please note that the height of the board may affect the length of the post that the fitters fit to the projector.

Not quite correct there, the length of the mounting bracket is dependant on the projector type and the size of the board it has nothing to do with the height of the board.

Some installers may try and reduce the length of the boom arm if the install is very low but this will just result in an image that is too small.

If you are worried over the length of the boom arm then I would suggest looking at one of the ultra short throw projectors either Hitachi's EDA111 or Sanyo's XE50. These are mounted extremely close to the wall and as such minimise the chance of cracking your head on them.

Thank Post
    £220 for the step?!!

thats all i'm going to say.

Thank Post
    It's slightly irrelevant anyway as Steljes haven't had any in stock for months now, apparently £220 doesn't put off too many people.

Thank Post
    Halfords... Small plastic steps you use for washing your car... £15?

And they're probably smaller so you could stash them under a table and use it for a foot rest

the only problem there is drawing horizontal lines across the top of the board.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12