+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Dual TFT mount in Technical; Having just acquired a second TFT for home (impulse Ebay purchase, but it was a bargain...), I'm now trying to ...

Thank Post

Dual TFT mount

Having just acquired a second TFT for home (impulse Ebay purchase, but it was a bargain...), I'm now trying to find a suitable dual-TFT mount.

I need to raise both screens up by about 20cm (partly due to the desk space, but also to get them at the correct height), and I'd prefer not to have to drill holes in the desk (although clamp would be ok). I've looked at some by Ergotron, but they are all fairly expensive. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Stephen

Thank Post
    Document Express have a number of single stands which would allow you to position the moitors next to each other and it might be more cost effective.

See Document Express - if you ring and ask for Jenny Barrett she will be able to sort out education discount off those prices.

3. Thanks to Ric_ from:

SteveMC (7th March 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric_ View Post
    Document Express have a number of single stands which would allow you to position the moitors next to each other and it might be more cost effective.
    Thanks for the pointer, - unfortunately there's only a limited desk space, - so I'd need to raise the screens above the level of the printer. Looks like the only option may be to go for one of the single-central-pole-with-two-arms stands

Stephen

Thank Post
    Could you screw them to the wall?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    Could you screw them to the wall?
    If you'd seen the wall behind my desk, you'd know what that'd be a bad move! It's a blocked in chimney, and even papering it was a challenge. I think some of the plaster is now a structural part of the house

Stephen

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    I know you've said the Ergotron ones look expensive, but I'd urge you to consider them as an investment.

We've have these at work and I like them so much I bought one for home. They are sturdy pieces of kit and the older ones we have in the office have lasted extremely well.

8. Thanks to AngryTechnician from:

SteveMC (7th March 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    I know you've said the Ergotron ones look expensive, but I'd urge you to consider them as an investment.
    I've a feeling I'll end up with something like that, - just wondered if anyone had found anything cheaper that did the trick. Currently the second screen is stood on top of the printer - I've also discovered that the ATI drivers let you position the screens at an off-set too, which is actually quite handy!

Stephen

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveMC View Post
    I've also discovered that the ATI drivers let you position the screens at an off-set too, which is actually quite handy!
    It's not obvious, but that's actually built into Windows, and isn't driver specific. If you go into the Display Settings control panel you can drag them around in there too - there's just nothing to tell you it's possible (not even a mouse cursor change) unless you happen to try dragging them!

I've been a big fan of multiple monitors since I first started using them about 10 years ago. My particular preference is for a big widescreen primary monitor, and a smaller secondary monitor that is the same width as the primary is high, then rotated 90° into portrait. Portrait is great for reading websites since most sites these days have a lot of whitespace at the sides if you use a high resolution, while there's almost always extra vertical content. It's also nice for reading PDFs.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by AngryTechnician View Post
    I've been a big fan of multiple monitors since I first started using them about 10 years ago.
    Occasionally I manage to have two screens at work, but if I leave the office for any length of time when I return the second one will be attached to some ill machine or other. It could be worse though, as once I got back to find that my boss had sold my system to someone who was in desperate need of that exact motherboard

Stephen

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread