+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, How do you use your Netbooks? in Technical; My vision: Netbooks in class used a research tool in classes. Some sort of word processing (open office or sommat). ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

How do you use your Netbooks?

My vision: Netbooks in class used a research tool in classes. Some sort of word processing (open office or sommat). We wanna keep the price as low as we can as we have been given a chunk of money to buy these and a trolley.

LM Vision: For them to do everything that the Desktops can basically do, meaning installing winsuite and all the programs they need. He feels that otherwise they are just going to be expensive alpha smarts...

Plus i've just remembered that they usually only come with Home and not Pro so that causes problems...

How do you use yours?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    bumpy bumpy (Mighty Boosh stylee)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Probably not the answer you're looking for but I'm looking to buy our first netbook soon to use for data entry. Almost finished writing a web based inventory system and need a small portable web browser and keyboard to use as I travel around the school and do a stock check.

Thank Post
    A primary school we deal with has over 50 linux based mini notebooks (Asus Eee) and they use theirs for internet access mainly for the kids however they can print over the wireless and they tend to transfer documents / files via usb stick.

They seem really pleased with them - I think they would be an absolute nightmare in a secondary school though!

5. Thanks to ssiruuk2 from:

Little-Miss (9th March 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,694 Times in 1,472 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Looking at getting them so teachers will do the registers during assemblies. I used to use one in my last place for testing out wireless and taking notes. Now i use my 13" MacBook its compact enough for me plus it has allot more power.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,212 Times in 761 Posts
    We have just replaced a classroom set of 12 Latitude D610s with Samsung NC-10s. We upgraded them to 2GB of RAM, installed Vista using our Schools Agreement upgrade rights, and they have all the deployed software, GPO management, and roaming profiles that our 'normal' class laptops have.

So far they are working pretty well. Vista runs just fine on them.

Thank Post
    We use the dept one (HP minibook 2133) for staff use (work on the fly when displaced), for emergency presentation use and so on.

I use my own AA1 for web and general use (Linux), Remote control/support here (Radmin under WINE on Linux), and general network related diddling (using Virtualbox and an XP domain build VM, with the VM residing on an SD card).

Big thumbs up for the Atom CPU..it fairly rips the VM along even with 512mb and an 8gb SSD. Contemplating retiring my Sempron Desktop and using the netbook on its own. I've got a 1gb upgrade for the RAM sat on the desk to bring it up to 1.5gb.

Thank Post
    We have about 30ish EEE 901 for our heads of department and about 5 mini sony vaio for SMT. These are used to accessing their mail on the go and for using in department meetings for reading/taking notes. They all are running windows xp pro with office 2003. On the EEE's i have removed the pagefile to reclaim space on the 4gb c drive.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread