Site Maintenance this evening The site will be offline for hosting changes. Time TBC

+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, replacing cases in Technical; we've currently got 16 celeron (600) 4 year old pcs in our suite which have on/off switches that are crumbling, ...
    Thank Post

replacing cases

we've currently got 16 celeron (600) 4 year old pcs in our suite which have on/off switches that are crumbling, how practical would it be to transfer them into new cases. I know they are not really worth keeping but we have limited money and have to make the most of our resources. I have a feeling that it will be fiddly, frustrating and maybe 2 or 3 won't work at the end of it. Any suggestions?

Thank Post

Re: replacing cases

Shouldn't be a problem. You might even find switches to replace the existing ones. Do you have a physics technician and/or accounts with RS or CPC?

Thank Post

If you dont use the optical/floppy drives etc I would be temped to take them out on their tray and mount them under the desk out of the way in a little wooden box or something and maybe a USB extension to the desktop.
    Radical but saves em trashing the new cases

Thank Post

Moving 'standard' components to a 'standard' case should be easy. (!). Assuming your existing PC is not using proprietary components. Once you get into the swing, it'll be less than 20mins per PC.

The vast majority of PC's are standards based - look for ATX or MicroATX (uATX) on your existing kits's spec. sheets. If it's a desktop or minitower then 90% certain you'll be microATX.

Most new cases are microATX these days (exceptions are a few newer BTX and SFF (small form factor) - again check the spec's.

Then check out the PSU - look for the wattage. It'll probably be in the 250 - 350w range. Make sure that the new case has a power supply at least as large as the current one, preferably larger. This will give you room for future growth (more memory, better graphics card, etc).

Then check out some case vendors and choose the prettiest/most functional for your budget. If you have budget to spare, spend it on the PSU rather than the case. A better PSU will be quieter and last longer.

Typically, you can find a cheapy cheap case with PSU for under £20.00. I buy componets from the likes of ebuyer.com, scan.co.uk, or microdirect.co.uk - all have a large selection to choose from.

Online ordering will give you a hefty delivery charge. Speak to an Account Manager before you order. It may be that in the quantities you're looking at they can quote you for a pallet load.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

You could look to Aria.co.uk as well they have a vast array of cases, PSUs etcetera. I've started to buy lots of bits and pieces from them recently as a matter of fact.

Wes

Thank Post

cheers for the prompt replies
    a lot of thought is going into this at school, because these pcs if they are replaced are going to be distributed round school to supplement /replace current older pcs, so I know that I will have to transfer cases eventually, but if they are kept in the suite as our main pcs they will have to last another 2 years at least, as slow w98s, then have to still be used round school to replace the even older slower classroom pcs.
    An ever decreasing circle!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts

could convert them to thin clients or linux, or both.
    We make pretty good use of old hardware this way (except when we can't get AT cases!)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread