+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Hardware Thread, FUJITSU SIEMENS ALERT!!! in Technical; Quite confused about this - even our very old fujitsui siemens lifebook c series laptop copes with a smartboard. It's ...
    Thank Post
    Quite confused about this - even our very old fujitsui siemens lifebook c series laptop copes with a smartboard. It's about 5 years old and doesn't have a problem

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 791 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Seen a few of these particular machines on smartboards with absolutely no problems - however I wasn't involved in setup. Again though, I can't see any reason why they shouldn't work and to mirror what's been said in the unlikely instance of the supplied ports not being fully compliant the machines shouldn't be sold.
    Suspect it's merely a power management issue.

Thank Post
    This might explain a fist full of problems here as we run our Smartboards with old low spec Dell computers and they are forever dropping the usb connection. Where on the Smart web site does it give the spec of 300ma @ 5v, I've never seen or heard that before.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SimpleSi View Post

So, I wonder if people could recommend an alternative low cost desktop machine that does work with Smartboards for my next suite rolllout

regards

Simon
    Excuse my ignorance, but what price range is considered low cost?

Tony

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,478 Times in 1,921 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Spitfire View Post
    This might explain a fist full of problems here as we run our Smartboards with old low spec Dell computers and they are forever dropping the usb connection. Where on the Smart web site does it give the spec of 300ma @ 5v, I've never seen or heard that before.
    It's in the spec documents for each board. Such as http://www2.smarttech.com/NR/rdonlyr...60v27Aug08.pdf

Thank Post
    I know it may be a simple solution, but might it not be that the power saving for the USB in Device Manager needs turning off?
    Where is this setting please?

but what price range is considered low cost?
    £10

Cost isn't my main issue - I started with FJs and liked them because of the ease of use in getting to the insides and ability to plug another drive in quickly (They used to be on plastic rails and the sides came off with using tools) and the beefy OTT PSU that could also be easliy exchanged with tools in the case of a fault.

Engineers dream

I used this facility as my main method of cloning a machine quickly and simply.

They stopped the easy slide in and out drive bay but by then I'd moved onto cloning from image on 2nd partition so it wasn't needed anymore.

Now the PSU's have been replaced with standard looking ones - and the last machines I got need a screwdriver to get the side off.

But I've kept buying them because they've worked OK - their driver site is good and my main supplier is a dealer for them

But now a fellow technician has been given grief by "support"

Time to move on - if you treat your customers badly, that's what happens - it just business and not personal and I'm sure the next company will do the same eventually but for a few years, we might get some actual benefit before someone in that company turns the screw a bit too tightly.

But if you/we don't act - we'll just get trodden on.

So I'm not after low cost - I'm after someone who says - buy these ones - I've had little trouble with them and on the odd occasion I've had a fault - it's been rectified quickly and to my satisfaction.

regards

Simon

Thank Post

Simon
    Device Manager -> USB Controllers -> USB Root Hub -> Properties -> Power Management Tab -> Untick the 'Allow Computer to Turn off this device to save power'

Job Done!

I know its not to do with Fujitsu PC's but the only other PC I had problems with a Smartboard was an RM EcoQuiet PC which refuses to boot with the SmartBoard plugged in. Its a known problem and requires you to change the USB Speed setting in the Bios to High Speed I think to allow it to boot. Works fine after that. Just thought it might help someone as we are talking SmartBoards and USB.
    Last edited by TechSupp; 19th February 2009 at 12:05 PM.

Thank Post

£10

Cost isn't my main issue - I started with FJs and liked them because of the ease of use in getting to the insides and ability to plug another drive in quickly (They used to be on plastic rails and the sides came off with using tools) and the beefy OTT PSU that could also be easliy exchanged with tools in the case of a fault.

Engineers dream

I used this facility as my main method of cloning a machine quickly and simply.

They stopped the easy slide in and out drive bay but by then I'd moved onto cloning from image on 2nd partition so it wasn't needed anymore.

Now the PSU's have been replaced with standard looking ones - and the last machines I got need a screwdriver to get the side off.

But I've kept buying them because they've worked OK - their driver site is good and my main supplier is a dealer for them

But now a fellow technician has been given grief by "support"

Time to move on - if you treat your customers badly, that's what happens - it just business and not personal and I'm sure the next company will do the same eventually but for a few years, we might get some actual benefit before someone in that company turns the screw a bit too tightly.

But if you/we don't act - we'll just get trodden on.

So I'm not after low cost - I'm after someone who says - buy these ones - I've had little trouble with them and on the odd occasion I've had a fault - it's been rectified quickly and to my satisfaction.

regards

Simon
    Hi Simon

Currently we are in the intrim service for BSF, I have bought 90+ hp5800

Product Description HP Compaq Business Desktop dc5800
    Processor 1 x Intel Core 2 Duo E7400 2.8GHz 1066MHz
    Form Factor Small Form Factor
    Cache Memory 3MB - Level 2
    Chipset Intel G33 Express
    Storage Controller Serial Attached SCSI
    Hard Drive 250GB - standard - Serial ATA-300 - 7200 rpm
    Networking Ethernet
    Fast Ethernet
    Gigabit Ethernet
    RAM 2GB (installed) / 8GB (max) - DDR2 SDRAM - 800MHz
    Graphics Controller Intel GMA 3100 Dynamic Video Memory Technology 4.0
    Monitor None
    Optical Drive DVD±RW (±R DL) / DVD-RAM
    LightScribe Technology
    Card Reader 16 in 1 card reader
    OS Provided Microsoft Windows Vista Business / XP Professional downgrade
    Dimensions (WxDxH) 33.7 cm x 37.8 cm x 10.0 cm
    Weight 8.1 kg

Very pleased with them, build them up with bartPE, fast, reliable loads of usbs and also ps2 (old faithful)

not sure if that is waht you are after but i really rate the ones we have, none have been DOA either, always a bonus

Tony

Thank Post
    Hi Si
    My inclinination too is to try another manufacturer. We have been fsc resellers for 6 years and the reasons we stayed with them was because the warranty support was good, but I am finding that schools are preferring to miss out on the extended warranty anyway (cost V risk equation). The bloke I dealt with didn't even have the courtesy to call me and it took 2 weeks to investigate with absolutely no feedback inbetween. So, like you I am going to try elsewhere and use them as long as I think its the right thing to offer our customers
    I'll let you know who we "fall into bed with" Si, maybe we can do business

Jim

P.S. you know who I am don't you??? (the good looking one LOL)

Tony - how much were the HP's?

Thank Post
    I worked for Fujitsu for a while as a Field Engineer, and, seriously, I wouldn't buy a Fujitsu with your money, let alone mine.

If anyone's interested, we use Gaia Technologies to supply our pc's....well put together, quality components, smart, fashionable piano-black cases which the kids seem to like, because they don't attack them in the normal manner, no hassle about DOA's or ELF's.....in fact very few DOA's or ELF's. They've supplied us wit hwell over a hundred pc's now, and I can only think of one DOA, which was replaced before we even returned it.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by jimbopem View Post
    Hi Si
    My inclinination too is to try another manufacturer. We have been fsc resellers for 6 years and the reasons we stayed with them was because the warranty support was good, but I am finding that schools are preferring to miss out on the extended warranty anyway (cost V risk equation). The bloke I dealt with didn't even have the courtesy to call me and it took 2 weeks to investigate with absolutely no feedback inbetween. So, like you I am going to try elsewhere and use them as long as I think its the right thing to offer our customers
    I'll let you know who we "fall into bed with" Si, maybe we can do business

Jim

P.S. you know who I am don't you??? (the good looking one LOL)

Tony - how much were the HP's?
    I paid about 350 a machine i *think*, I will check the invoices.

Thank Post
    We use Toshiba's for teaching laptops - never had a problem (apart from the old A10's) so keep using them. Nice and cheap and work a charm.

Thank Post
    @jim
    OK I've switched my purchasing to another manufacturer - lets see if that brings FS to the table apologising profusely.

(Well got a quote in for 1PC - but its a start )

regards

Simon

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12