+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, PC Renting in Technical; We have been purchasing PC's for the last 4 years and have now got to a stage where it has ...

Thank Post

PC Renting

We have been purchasing PC's for the last 4 years and have now got to a stage where it has become quite expensive to replace the PC's every 4 years.

Has anyone had a good experience with renting PC's, and would you recommend it? Also could you give me an estimated figure of how much it might cost per PC?

Thanks in advance

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,309 Times in 1,624 Posts

Re: PC Renting

Just a thought - our local education authority has negotiated big discounts with various leasing companies - worth asking them?

Thank Post

you pay more in the long run for renting (lots more)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,309 Times in 1,624 Posts

Yes, you do pay more but if you really don't have the money to buy all new at once - it is a reasonable option. I am trying to persuade the bosses to lease for a couple of years while putting in place a proper replacement strategy (eg 5 or 10 machines per year), as our youngest machines are 4 years old and the oldest about 8!

Thank Post

You do pay more, in the same way that you pay more for buying your car on finance rather than outright. If your annual funding is so low you cannot afford to replace a set of machines that require replacement then this is a solution that will allow you to do so, which is in the school's interest more than blowing more than you can afford (at the expense of other areas) or saving for four years and putting up with obsolete machines for that time.

I recon if you add 10-12% on to the total value of you equipment and then divide by the number of years then you will have a pretty good idea how much leasing will cost you. You will pretty much own the machines at the end if you want to for a peanuts sum, or you can force the supplier to take them away and you can restart the process.

Thank Post

Our school do a laptop leasing scheme for the VI form where you rent a laptop and at the end of the lease you get to keep it because you'll have paid back the full amount of the laptop by that time. I think it's 30 quid a month for two years (not entirely sure on the figures)

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by Joedetic
    Our school do a laptop leasing scheme for the VI form where you rent a laptop and at the end of the lease you get to keep it because you'll have paid back the full amount of the laptop by that time. I think it's 30 quid a month for two years (not entirely sure on the figures)
    Joedetic

This is something I am planning on doing this year for our 6th Form. Can you let me know any problems if any you have had and if you think the scheme has been successful etc.

Sorry to take this Off Topic. PM me if you would like.

Thanks

Thank Post

Problems mostly technical ie broken hardware and configs. Scheme VERY successful.

It's mostly popular because it gives students the opertunity to have a laptop they can take to uni (if they participate in the buy-back bit of the lease). Parents are keen on it too

We held an info evening with presentations etc in the hall that all new VI Formers and their parents were invited to.

I've PM'd you a s***load of text that might help

Thank Post

Do you not build your own PC's, we can get an average spec AMD pc for £200 and the only upgradeing weve needed to do is increase the RAM. The cost of replacing parts isn't very much the odd graphics card here NIC card there but overall its a cheap way of doing things. Plus AMD socket A type are the most common budget processor socket type and we've been able to replace Athlons with Semprons of the same socket.

JayR

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread

Thread Information