+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Hardware Thread, 3D Graphics work PC specs in Technical; I have just been asked to spec and price up a new PC suite for the DT department given the ...
    Thank Post

3D Graphics work PC specs

I have just been asked to spec and price up a new PC suite for the DT department given the follwing requirements.

"They will need to be capable of running 3D Graphics programs, the bigger the better, the cost is not a problem"

While this generosity is still available I want to get a quote in as quick as possible

A laser cutter in the area of 10 to 15 grand has already been given the go ahead!

So can anyone recomend what spec they would look at for this or if anyone has something similar what have you got?

Would Alienware stuff be worth looking at?

...but I'll belive it once it has been ordered, if it ever gets that far.

Thank Post
    Hehe first question is which 3D programs

As unless your running some VERY high end graphics apps you wont need to speedy 3D Graphics card.

Unless they want to play Crysis2

Thank Post
    Isnt Alienware just Dell now?

Some of the specs on the XPS systems they do are pretty smart.

Ive had some success with these guys

iBUILD™ Intel SLi Gaming PC Performance | Power Computing | Custom PCs, Gaming PCs, Laptops, Motherboards, Workstations

Good prices and awesome build quality \ components

4. Thanks to pagelad from:

Griffo (11th February 2009)

Thank Post
    I wouldn't bother looking at gaming PC's...

Look for a spec that incudes something like an NVidia Quadro, or ATI Fire GL video card. These are specifically geared towards CAD work.

6. Thanks to westleya from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by pagelad View Post
    Isnt Alienware just Dell now?
    Are they? Damn

Thats like saying Aston Martin are really just Renault

The other spec I forgot to mention was "PLEASE NOT DELL" thats what the current ones are, really not impressed with them

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by westleya View Post
    I wouldn't bother looking at gaming PC's...

Look for a spec that incudes something like an NVidia Quadro, or ATI Fire GL video card. These are specifically geared towards CAD work.
    An interesting article on Tom's Hardware on the subject

Pro Graphics: Seven Cards Compared : Introduction - Review Tom's Hardware

The difference boils down to a bios and driver tweek. Not bad for charging an extra $500 for the same card!

Basically, what this means is unless you are doing some very highend professional CAD work you can almost certainly get away with using a £100 off the shelf OpenGL compatible gaming card. If for no other reason, as with video editing, but to free up the shared memory of on board graphics solutions.

Personally I'd look for Core 2 processors. Buying cache over speed. Around 4Gb ram and a £100 gaming card.

9. Thanks to tmcd35 from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,171 Times in 994 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Griffo View Post
    Are they? Damn

Thats like saying Aston Martin are really just Renault

The other spec I forgot to mention was "PLEASE NOT DELL" thats what the current ones are, really not impressed with them

Oooh! So I drive an Aston! Do Astons break down a lot? If they don't then it's not an Aston

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,698 Times in 2,288 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Don't touch Alienware with a barge pole, they are junk unreliable and not as fast as they claim to be. You want something really quick which actually lasts more than a day outside its warrenty period try one of these

HP with VoodooDNA

12. Thanks to SYNACK from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box View Post
    Oooh! So I drive an Aston! Do Astons break down a lot? If they don't then it's not an Aston
    LOL, Sorry, no offence meant but I just dont like them (they do come off rather well in an accident though) same goes for Citroen, Peugot and Fiat

Thank Post
    You want to look at workstation class machines rather than standard desktops. Look at Dell, HP or Sun under the Workstation sections.
    Desktop class machines really don't cut the mustard for high end stuff except games.

15. Thanks to teejay from:

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by teejay View Post
    You want to look at workstation class machines rather than standard desktops. Look at Dell, HP or Sun under the Workstation sections.
    Desktop class machines really don't cut the mustard for high end stuff except games.
    ^^^^

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,698 Times in 2,288 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Here is the HP area that you probably want to be looking at for the best reliability and best acceleration CAD wise. I had not read the other comments and clarifications before I posted the shiny HP hotrod above

Mechanical Computer Aided Design

Featured Solutions for MCAD

The comments above are correct in regards to most of the graphics cards just being a bit of an onboard bios tweak away from their proffessional guises but the onboard firmware has long since been locked down very solidly and as yet I have found no reliable way to unlock them (not looking too hard though). Besides this configuration is totally unsupported along with the fact that the cooling is often more robust on the Pro cards.

The other big and possibly most important thing with the pro range of cards is the drivers. These are huge in comparison to the consumer ones and provide special profiles that allow for the hardware acceleration of CAD, GIS and some pro 3D rendersoftware. This is the biggest reason to get those cards as they are able to integrate with the large CAD software properly. Aditionally the drivers are locked to the pro cards so there is no easy reliable way to get this extra and in some cases massive speed boost by installing these drivers on a standard card.

Here is a list of certified applications that can benifit: http://h20331.www2.hp.com/Hpsub/cach...0-225-121.html

Under the cost no object heading this is probably what you would be looking at:
    HP xw8600 Workstation (RB438UT) specifications - HP Small & Medium Business products

From an astetic point of view more of a high performance commercial truck than the hot rod I recommended above but build to do a lot of work for a very long time reliably.

This one is probably where you would end up though if pricing was being taken into consideration:
    HP xw4600 Workstation (RB461UT) specifications - HP Small & Medium Business products
    Last edited by SYNACK; 11th February 2009 at 11:01 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    The comments above are correct in regards to most of the graphics cards just being a bit of an onboard bios tweak away from their proffessional guises but the onboard firmware has long since been locked down very solidly and as yet I have found no reliable way to unlock them (not looking too hard though). Besides this configuration is totally unsupported along with the fact that the cooling is often more robust on the Pro cards.

The other big and possibly most important thing with the pro range of cards is the drivers. These are huge in comparison to the consumer ones and provide special profiles that allow for the hardware acceleration of CAD, GIS and some pro 3D rendersoftware. This is the biggest reason to get those cards as they are able to integrate with the large CAD software properly. Aditionally the drivers are locked to the pro cards so there is no easy reliable way to get this extra and in some cases massive speed boost by installing these drivers on a standard card.
    It might be a good idea if I clarified my comment on Pro vs Consumer graphics cards. I am in no way suggesting that anyone should try and hack a consumer graphics card to accept a Pro bios and drivers.

What I was trying to suggest is that unless you are going to be doing some pretty high end and complex 3D rendering, it is unlikely the cost difference would justify any nominal speed gains you'll get by buying Pro over Consumer.

In terms of spending money, I'd look at system RAM first and foremost. Then the processor - prefering larger cache to clock speed and clock speed over cores., but if I could afford the fastest quad-core with the most cache then sure why not? Finally I'd look at the graphics. Again memory first, then processor.

At this level memory is likely to be a bigger bottle neck than processor speed at this level. I doubt most school Technology department would see any difference between a £100 GeForce and a £2000 Quadro Pro. A professional Jumbo Jet desinger on the other hand would.

As other have said you're looking a 'Workstation' class machines from the likes of HP, Lenovo and Dell.

Thank Post
    I want to know how you managed to get someone to say "They will need to be capable of running 3D Graphics programs, the bigger the better, the cost is not a problem" if only more people would say this our job would be so much easier. We could actually spend the money for what was needed rather than skimping all the time

Seriously though, are the Tech dept really going to be doing stuff that needs a such high end machines? I agree with tmcd35, I doubt most tech dept would see a big enough difference in speed to justify the cost. But after reading your post I take it your Tech Dept is expanding or just in real need for an update? You might want to be a little checky and suggest to get quotes for more stuff(IWB, projector etc)

Thank Post

Workstations

@Griffo - As soon as you know the specification you are after, a quote could be provided from the forum sponsor - SCLonline!!! Just PM/email with the quantity and I will have it over to you in a jiffy

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast