+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Backup Logging in Technical; Hi i have been given the task of moving all the IT Support info from an old intranet to a ...

Thank Post

Cool Backup Logging

Hi i have been given the task of moving all the IT Support info from an old intranet to a new Moss2007 one, Moss2007 is already being used for the intranet with each department using it quite well.

My question is....

Currently it is a 2nd line technicains job to go through a backup log and click yes/no as to whether or not a backup task has been done correctly (please see attachement)

One main problem with this is that reports cant be pulled off and trends noticed i.e backup on this server seems to fail every x days etc.

I was wondering how you guys go ahead logging this information, or any suggestions as to logging it, the solution has to be quick and easy for the tech to log each server as we have quite a few.

Regards people
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank Post
    Hi

I don't know if this would help you, but would you be able to create a simple web form in an ASP page (Classic would do), that the 2nd line tech can select the backup result from a drop down list, and click update. The code behind the page could then get the current date from the system, and make this the backup checked date, or get the current date -1 (Adjusted accordingly for your own backup strategy), and the result. Then commit these to a simple 1 table SQLServer Express database?

Another page could be used to page through the information, and custom queries can be created as and when required, and saved for future use.

You could just drop the pages into a folder on the MOSS server, and create a virtual web site. Then link to it from a current Intranet page, or create a shortcut to it on the desktop of the server(s) you are backing up.

Regards

Maria

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,784 Times in 1,107 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If you are using MOSS then you can create a data sheet and use InfoPath to create a web form for completion of it. I would also have a look at codeplex to see if there is already something there you can use.

4. Thanks to GrumbleDook from:

damienharrison (5th February 2009)

Thank Post
    Had completely ignored infopath forms for some reason, dont know why because im using them for something form based already lol, This forum is probably the best and most helpfull one on the web, no where have I seen where you can post a question about any subject and get high quality answers in an instant.

Cheers Edugeekers

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread