+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Looking for cheapest server with 16GB RAM in Technical; I want to virtualize a few non processor hunger servers into one box. When you go above 8GB RAM though, ...
    Thank Post

Looking for cheapest server with 16GB RAM

I want to virtualize a few non processor hunger servers into one box. When you go above 8GB RAM though, prices generally sky-rocket. Obviously they need special boards with many RAM slots, so I understand the price jump.

I just want to know where I can start from. CPU and disks are unimportant to me as any modern CPU will be more than fine, and I'll probably whack in a couple of WD's new 2TB disks.

Cheers for any help.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,391 Times in 1,853 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We ordered a HP DL360 G5 the other day, dual quad core E5440 processors, 16GB ram, dual 10k 146GB HDD's. Came to just under 3k. It came to around 2800.

What price range you looking at? Or are you looking at building one yourself?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,661 Times in 1,446 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Ask simon, he can get you cracking prices on servers.

4. Thanks to FN-GM from:

CPLTD (31st January 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by eejit View Post
    I want to virtualize a few non processor hunger servers into one box. When you go above 8GB RAM though, prices generally sky-rocket. Obviously they need special boards with many RAM slots, so I understand the price jump.

I just want to know where I can start from. CPU and disks are unimportant to me as any modern CPU will be more than fine, and I'll probably whack in a couple of WD's new 2TB disks.

Cheers for any help.

We can sort out a great deal for you on HP and Dell servers or even a bespoke build , send me your details by pm and I'll be sure to give you a buzz on Monday to go through your requirements ,

Thank Post
    Cheers guys. Not looking for high quality HP servers or anything like that - mostly going to have some non-urgent servers on there - WSUS etc. and some test network stuff, so for that reason price is everything.

So far I'm at the 1,600 mark so just want to see if I can go lower.

Thanks again for the replies though.

Thank Post
    What about one, or even 2 if they only support 8gb, of those 150 dell or HP servers that are always on offer. We've got the Dell T105 as a backup server. Dropped 4gb of standard crucial ram in it, a few HDs and we got a server for just over 300.

Doesnt have raid like but at that price you could buy a decent card and still come in at half your current quote. And tbh for the uses you've stated ,even if they only supports 8gb, it will be powerful enough, or like i said get 2 and start playing with clustering/failover/live migrations etc.
    Last edited by j17sparky; 31st January 2009 at 12:34 PM.

Thank Post
    What we do is buy Dell server with about 2gb of ram and then buy the ram separately from other suppliers. This saves us alot of money.

-ken

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,049 Times in 918 Posts
    Must agree that I'd get the server with lower ram and then buy Hypertech ram for its upgrades, its all well guaranteed stuff the Hypertech and the warranty support is second to none on it! Advanced shipment of the replacement stuff and a courtesy phone call to make sure you have got it and its fixed the problem before you return the dud stuff to them.

Thank Post
    Upgrading the RAM from a real cheapo unit is not ideal as they just won't have enough slots. I don't really want to buy two lesser units either as I'd ideally like the flexibility of having at least 16GB in one box.

Perhaps I should just be looking for motherboards that carry 8 or more RAM slots and take it from there.

Thanks for all the suggestions.

Thank Post
    Managed to get the components for a 12GB server for 765.38 ex.

Moving above that is tricky. I can do 24GB for 1,987.40 which is a massive jump of course.

I've done the above using an MSI X58 Platinum which will allow you to have two lots of 3 x pair DDR3 sticks. Means using the new i7 core CPU which might be nice to check out anyway.

Thank Post
    Look at Tyan and Supermicro. Lot more stable.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread