+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Smartboard Halts computer! in Technical; We have 6 brand new Smartboard 660i's connected to 6 Acer Veriton m464 Desktops. When the computer has been logged ...
    Thank Post

Smartboard Halts computer!

We have 6 brand new Smartboard 660i's connected to 6 Acer Veriton m464 Desktops. When the computer has been logged into Windows XP, the Smartboard works fine, no issues.

However, if the computer is powered up with the S/B USB cable plugged in, the Acer computer halts at the bios 'Acer' screen, and doesn't continue (requires a holding down of the power button for anything to happen). If the USB cable is not plugged in when the computer is turned on, all things are ok!

Any suggestions? Both Acer and S/B firmware and bios are the latest. Have tried a variety of USB ports on the Acer too.

Thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,697 Times in 1,475 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We had the same problem with the exact same computer in my old school. If you use a USB hub with its own power supply plug that into your machine then the smartbaord into that it will fix it. We ordered 100 of these and got it and 99% of them would have a smartbaord on. the person who suppliers the supplier gave the school USB hubs for every machine.

There is no other fix for this, new PSU might work.

Z
    Last edited by FN-GM; 31st January 2009 at 11:11 AM.

3. Thanks to FN-GM from:

rocknrollstar (31st January 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    You getting this Simon lol

We had the same problem with the exact same computer in my old school. If you use a USB hub with its own power supply plug that into your machine then the smartbaord into that it will fix it. We ordered 100 of these and got it and 99% of them would have a smartbaord on. the person who suppliers the supplier gave the school USB hubs for every machine.

There is no other fix for this, new PSU might work.

Z

another classic reason why we no longer deal with Acer as a vendor
    Last edited by witch; 26th March 2009 at 08:04 AM.

5. 3 Thanks to CPLTD:

farmerste (9th February 2009), Oops_my_bad (18th March 2009), rocknrollstar (31st January 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanks for that- wouldn't of thought of trying a powered usb hub!

I suppose it's a case of go with your gut instinct- I originally was skeptical of buying Acer, but thought i'd try it anyway. The general support for Acer is rubbish, even on their own website... At least I only have to buy 6 usb hubs.

Thanks again!

Thank Post
    Hi All,

Im having this exact same issue. I have tried a powered USB hub and even upgraded the firmware on the mobo to the latest version (Board is intel D102GGC2). At boot the PC will just hang at the BIOS screen and wont carry on until the smartboard (660) is unplugged. Once in windows if I connect the board up the device isnt recognised and the light on the smartboard just flashes green :/ smart software is installed on the PC. The smart board is working fine as I have tried with another pc/laptop.

Anything else I could try?

Thank Post
    First thing I would get working is the smartboard from windows. green flashing lights aren't good. Have you got the latest notebook software and driver software?

However, I don't think booting from scratch would be affected by this, as windows hasn't loaded yet.

Interesting that FN-GM said he got 99% of them working with a powered usb hub, but obviously not all of them. Try contact him to see if he solved the lost sheep...

Don't know if a 660i would behave differently to a 660 though.

Thank Post
    A flashing green light on a smartboard normally means that it is operating in HID mode, and that the SMART drivers aren't running. There's a few things that are worth trying:
    • Try using a short USB cable (2m or less) directly into the connection on the smartboard. It's often hidden away by installers but you'll find it at the back of the board directly underneath the status light.
    • Check that the smartboard service is running in computer management.
    • Uninstall then reinstall the smartboard drivers whilst logged-in as a local administrator.

If all else fails try calling Steljes tech support. The number's 08450 724999.

10. Thanks to TommyCooper from:

Oops_my_bad (26th March 2009)

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rocknrollstar View Post
    First thing I would get working is the smartboard from windows. green flashing lights aren't good. Have you got the latest notebook software and driver software?

However, I don't think booting from scratch would be affected by this, as windows hasn't loaded yet.

Interesting that FN-GM said he got 99% of them working with a powered usb hub, but obviously not all of them. Try contact him to see if he solved the lost sheep...

Don't know if a 660i would behave differently to a 660 though.
    Actually no i siad 99% will have a smartboard connected

Thank Post
    @FN-GM Sorry about my misinterpretation of your post

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rocknrollstar View Post
    @FN-GM Sorry about my misinterpretation of your post
    Dont worry about it

Thank Post
    had this with some acers before i found knocking back usb to usb 1 mode worked to fix it (as it was in the nursery meh they dont use usb drives for much more than the odd word/textease file so its fast enough)

15. Thanks to sted from:

Thank Post
    Smart Tech released a tech bulletin in 2006 regarding the D102 board - http://www2.smarttech.com/kbdoc/84872 (knew I'd seen it somewhere!)

Apparently its caused by the D102 violating the USB2 specs, I would have expected intel to have sorted it out by now though.

17. Thanks to Jamman960 from:

Thank Post
    Cheers guys, on my way home tonight I suddenly realised there were 2 disks - one with the smartboard 10 software and one with drivers, I think havent installed the drivers which is why it's running in HID mode as above.

I will try the drivers tomorrow and also the knocking back to USB1.0. As for the board - typical eh? Did upgrade the firmware to the latest one but not exactly what you'd expect from an intel platform Hopefully this will sort the boot hang issue. Will keep y'all posted

Thank Post
    Hi all, falling back to USB 1.0 in the bios worked beautifully, thanks again

Thank Post
    Not sure if this will help at all but I've had problems posting/booting with certain USB devices connected in the past (though not with smart boards).

My solution was to disable USB keyboard support in the bios. For some reason my machines were hanging at post/boot because something like a USB bluetooth device was connected and the machine seemed to think it was a USB keyboard. After disabling that, everything's been running fine since

21. Thanks to cokecan72 from:

Oops_my_bad (10th June 2009)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread