+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Building a Computer in Technical; I was under the impression that XP won't handle more than 4GB of memory. Back to your specs - for ...
    Thank Post
    I was under the impression that XP won't handle more than 4GB of memory.

Back to your specs - for video editing I'd double the HD space or allow for a large external drive.

A TV card might be useful too.

Thank Post
    Case should be fine, ATX comes in a few sizes (normally the issue is when its mATX meaning much smaller!).

Only problem may be if the PSU is cheap in the case (for £25 this is likely) it may cause problems down the line with the demand especially with that beast of a CPU, the memory and the GFX Card.

GFX card will be fine if he's only using one monitor, if he's using two I'd look at one with dual DVI outputs rather than 1 DVI and 1VGA.

Thank Post
    Hes only talked about the one monitor. What sort of power supply would you recomend becasue i would prefer a case and a power supply seperate to ensure that it delivers appropiate power for the processor.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by alan-d View Post
    I was under the impression that XP won't handle more than 4GB of memory.
    For a 32bit install without PAE it will see (varies) between 3/3.5GB of memory, but the 64bit version will (according to wikipedia but unable to verify) see far more.

Linky doodle.

5. Thanks to kmount from:

alan-d (29th January 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by LukeC View Post
    Hes only talked about the one monitor. What sort of power supply would you recomend becasue i would prefer a case and a power supply seperate to ensure that it delivers appropiate power for the processor.
    I'd recommend an Antech or Tagan power supply, not sure on the rating, maybe 500W would be enough.

(Someone with a powerful machine will be able to comment more)

Thank Post
    A few of you talk about PAE i understand that it stands for Power added effieciency but how would you ensure this is running as i havnt dealt with the term before. Still learning many new things.

Thank Post
    Physical Address Extension - A technology used to allow 32bit operating systems to address physical memory (RAM) beyond 4GB.

Have a nose [ame=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Physical_Address_Extension]here[/ame] but don't get too scared of the text!

(I'm off for the night now, take care)

9. Thanks to kmount from:

LukeC (28th January 2009)

Thank Post
    thanks thats cleared that up a bit for me

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Given the GFX Card, hi-spec CPU, decent mobo, possibility of multiple hard drives I'd wade in at a guestimate of around 600watt for the PSU, but look for a quality brand.

On the subject of GFX cards it all depends if he wants to play games. If not, then to be honest, IMHO, the choice of GFX card is largely unimportant. Any GFX card, even the cheapest, would be better than an on board chip using shared memory - that's all thats really important.

@Kmount - even for dual VDU I'd challenge anyone to see the difference between a DVI and VGA monitor on screen sizes below around 24". Can't remember the max resolution a VGA signal will support, but until you hit that res. there is no difference between the two.

@alan-d - WinXP/Vista 32bit can use PAE to see more than 4gb of Ram. This basically 'switches' between the 4gb memory banks. The computer can only see 4Gb at a time, but by switching the banks can access more. obviously this is slower than a 64bit OS that can see all the ram as one continuos block. Think of it like virtual memory on a hard drive, but a bit faster.

12. Thanks to tmcd35 from:

alan-d (29th January 2009)

Thank Post
    I doubt he will be playing lots of games. More for his work, videos, photographs and audio.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,696 Times in 2,286 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by tmcd35 View Post
    @Kmount - even for dual VDU I'd challenge anyone to see the difference between a DVI and VGA monitor on screen sizes below around 24". Can't remember the max resolution a VGA signal will support, but until you hit that res. there is no difference between the two.
    DVI is more resistant to interference and handles colour reproduction better on may moniters so it depends on your environment, your moniter and how much attention you pay to the colours as to how easy it is to notice the difference.

As to the OP I would strongly recommend dual moniters, it is an absolute criminal waste to limit a computer with that much processing power to one moniter. From a user point of view the shear visual impact of 2 x 22" moniters actually gives a percived power increase greater than most actual speed upgrades. It is also really handy for both video and image editing as it gives you space to do it in an uncluttered way. Oh and I would also recommend a branded PSU of around the 600W mark.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,052 Times in 973 Posts
    Not sure if it's true but have heard a lot of people comment on creative sound cards saying they are better for gaming so what about an m audio or yamaha sound card- obviously depending on your budget
    Last edited by mac_shinobi; 28th January 2009 at 10:15 PM.

Thank Post
    64 bit XP would be a waste of time, a ZX spectrum has better driver support than 64 bit XP

I would use either 64 bit Linux / OS X / or Vista (Win7?)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,696 Times in 2,286 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by mac_shinobi View Post
    Not sure if it's true but have heard a lot of people comment on creative sound cards saying they are better for gaming so what about an m audio or yamaha sound card- obviously depending on your budget
    Not as true as it was for XP as Creative really dropped the ball for the new driver model in Vista. The new high deffinition audio system in Vista was incompatible with the built in sound processors in the high end Creative cards so they were all basicly working badly at about the integrated sound level of performance. I don't know whether they have finally got their act together with regard to drivers and redesigning their hardware but I would suggest caution as last I heard their drivers were really buggy and unstable.

Thank Post
    And if the OP goes above 24" it would make his investment less fruitful. For information, VGA tops out at 2048x1536 versus DVI's 2560x1600 which isn't a large difference but if you're speccing it up you might aswell go for the best if you can afford it.

Plus, it seems fairly pointless to have a single VGA and a single DVI connection if you buy matching monitors.

It's all about what if as the OP is speccing on behalf of a client.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast