+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Server farm in Technical; Ok, below are some pics of my old schools server "farm". It's completely overkill, but, we did "save" for over ...

Thank Post

Smile Server farm

Ok, below are some pics of my old schools server "farm". It's completely overkill, but, we did "save" for over 5 yrs to get all this and it'll be there for 5+ yrs.

Network "core"

Just a network cabinet that happens to be in the server room

Cr@ppy workstation, not sure if that printer ever worked. Never used it, but you never know when you need a printer!!

Way over spec'd AD, DNS\DHCP. Not pre-email (yes PRE)

Again, more over spec'd servers, note the nice SAN and autoloader. Pre-killer of the P3 server.

Some pants old P4 homemade rubbish servers, just used for testing stuff.

Just though I would post it after someone was proud of there three servers with an autoloader thinking it was the best network ever. Note the above is completely over the top, but it was jsut before the virtualation kicked in and people cared about the price of electricity and the CO2 rubbish.

PS: YES!! SCSI, TAPES AND UPS!!

Thank Post
    Some nice cabling going on there.

Wow. I'm beginning to sound like a right geek. Look what you lot have done to me!

Thank Post
    Tidy setup you have there. Looks like you had a decent amount of room to put this all in as well!

@Edu-IT - You know you cant fight it, your a proper geek at heart. I just like the pretty flashing lights...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,039 Times in 797 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm a sucker for a nice bit of cabling - shows someone has taken the care and hindsight to make it both look nice and more importantly make it manageable. I've seen some recent installations by some - how can I do this without naming and shaming - cambridgeshire based companies that are absolutely *shocking*. I could have done better if I left my nan there armed with a pair of pliers, an armful of cable ties and a book "Dummies Guide to Origami". People often forget that it's not just about getting things working - tidy cabling allows for a decent and relatively unrestricted airflow, easy maintenance and keeps health and safety bods happy.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,486 Times in 1,928 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Wow, you have some serious space available there! I'd love to be able to split our cabinet into 2 cabinets so as to tidy things up but my server 'room' is 4ft by 10ft in size...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,053 Times in 922 Posts
    mmmmmmm HP Proliants yummy yummy cannot beat them

Thank Post
    At the time the back wasn't so nice, re did the wiring after we fitted the das to bottom left HP 360 and the autoloader (email).

We pretty much wasted space as we got the room, if things didn't work out right we could of squashed it all up, scrapped the old P4s and got it down to maybe two racks. Still would have need a better air con.

Quite surprised how much better the open racks are (when you got the space). Still was like a giant meccano set

The only problem was the fool who ordered it so we had to cut down deep, the SAN was an arse too, weird depth.

We mainly got the HP DL360 cause our System manager said it must be:
    scsi, have dual psu, dual cpu (slot), at least 2gb ram, and everything must be in twos if its critical.

If I was doing it again I would have just got a blade and a SAN and virtualize it all. Still this looks cooler

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread