+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Phone with Headset, AND Second phone number (Hey-ulp) in Technical; Problem #1: Phone & Headset I'm getting a lot of calls that require me to be sitting at a computer ...
    Thank Post

Phone with Headset, AND Second phone number (Hey-ulp)

Problem #1: Phone & Headset

I'm getting a lot of calls that require me to be sitting at a computer and able to access the system but recently my neck has suffered with cramps trying to hold a phone with my shoulder while typing and the other option of one hand typing is no go either... So, I'm looking for a corded (not wireless) phone that can have a headset connected to it.

I've had a brief look around at places like euroffice, etc... but the range is a bit daunting so does anyone have any direct experience and could recommend a unit and headset?

Problem #2: Second number/phone-line

Also, just to throw a real spanner in the works... I'm also looking at ways to get a second phone number without costing the earth for a second phone line or equipment. Ultimately this phone would be connected on this line so if anyone has any suggestions on this too that'd be great.

I am aware of VOIP but don't know enough about it, and someone suggested a line splitter (I'm on BT with Be Broadband on LLU I think) but I suspect that would reduce my ADSL speed so not sure...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by contink View Post
    Problem #2: Second number/phone-line

Also, just to throw a real spanner in the works... I'm also looking at ways to get a second phone number without costing the earth for a second phone line or equipment. Ultimately this phone would be connected on this line so if anyone has any suggestions on this too that'd be great.
    No idea on the first, but on the second, have you looked at one of the BT addon services? We used to use it before the TPS started working so well - it was basically a second number on the same line that had a different ring tone. Just looked it up - "Call Sign"

Call Sign *Get an additional number with a different ring tone £1.71 a month

You can't use both at once so not sure if that's what you were describing or not - basically meant we had a second number we gave out only to family + close friends, it rings differently so you know whether you can ignore the phone while eating your dinner etc... If that's what you were after, at £2 a month it's definitely going to beat getting a second line in!

3. Thanks to OutToLunch from:

contink (26th January 2009)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OutToLunch View Post
    No idea on the first, but on the second, have you looked at one of the BT addon services? We used to use it before the TPS started working so well - it was basically a second number on the same line that had a different ring tone. Just looked it up - "Call Sign"

Call Sign *Get an additional number with a different ring tone £1.71 a month
    Excellent... That will do the trick... Thanks for that...

Thank Post
    AFAIK, many headsets will work "pass thru" from a normal phone, (ie you unplug your handset and plug in the headset, which passes through). You'll need an amp to work with a non-headsetty fone tho. Look at plantronics headsets, the supra plus is what I use.

6. Thanks to tom_newton from:

contink (26th January 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanks for those bits of input...

I've resolved my issue with a set of these..
    Panasonic KX-TG 8323 With Plantronics C65 Wireless Headset

which includes a plantronics wireless headset which actually works even better for me. I had no idea they even existed... It'll be worth it though just to get rid of the awful BT Synergy 4500 Trio's we got last year and have just suffered with ever since (never buy from BT, they're awful!).

Also got the CallSign thing sorted out too so finally my wife knows when not to answer the phone... T'is all good

If anyone wants a £10 voucher for liGo let me know as I've got one I can let you have..

Thanks again Tom, O2L..

Thank Post
    Right... bit of a follow up required on this topic as I got some good info, some so-so info and some "errmm, oops!" info..

1. CallSign will not work with any phone that uses a polyphonic ringtone which includes the BT Synergy 4500 units which I had originally (and actually queried) and also most DECT phones which are a bit more high tech... So beware that bit. Seems odd really that BT offer a service that won't work with most new phones but hey ho...

2. You can get around part #1 with something called TwinTalk which basically takes about 2 rings to suss out which ring is which, and then diverts to the appropriate handset or (and this is important phone base!).

3. Twintalk is a great idea if you have more than one physically plugged in phone but if you're using a DECT with a single base it won't do nuffink' mate innet! So you need to get another wired phone or base...

For me, I've opted for another Panasonic KX-TG 8321 (single unit with base) and that will be paired up with the handsfree plantronics I got with my original order. About the only thing I'll need to remember to do is keep the phones marked so I don't get confused

All in all it's cost me about £250 to get it all sorted out and around £20 for the year with callsign so a bit more than I probably needed but I have to say that handsets, handsfree kit and everything are good quality and the LiGo site is incredibly good value with support that actually corrected a missing voucher for me over the phone, no quibble... Very nice..

9. Thanks to contink from:

plexer (30th January 2009)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread