+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Burning DVDs Failing Everytime! in Technical; I have a Toshiba Qosmio F50-10z running Windows Vista Ultimate x64. No matter what I do, I can't successfully burn ...
    Thank Post

Burning DVDs Failing Everytime!

I have a Toshiba Qosmio F50-10z running Windows Vista Ultimate x64. No matter what I do, I can't successfully burn a DVD. I'm using ImgBurn and it gets a random percentage through the burn process and then the write speed goes down to 0 and nothing happens. I can't even quit ImgBurn, it just sits there and keeps trying and I have to force out of it. I tried CDBurnerXP but that won't work on Vista x64 with certain drives (the author confirmed this at the official forum).

I tried loads of DVDs and got coasters everytime. So, I sent it off for repair and they replaced the Drive for me. However, it is still doing the same thing!

The drive is a Pioneer DVD-RW DVRTD08A ATA. Any ideas what could be wrong?

Thank Post
    you could always try some free software called ashampoo version 6.

I have sometimes found it fails DVDs or CDs for that matter due to lack of system resources.

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,343 Times in 742 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Try InfraRecorder:

InfraRecorder Welcome
    Last edited by tech_guy; 25th January 2009 at 09:20 AM.

Thank Post
    Concerning if even after RMA it's failing.

I'd advise if you haven't already, trying a reinstall of the OS (or a second hard disk installed with Linux or something to eliminate the software side) before again advising the repair centre of the issue.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,048 Times in 970 Posts

Nero ?

Nero version 9

Nero - Support - FAQ

Should work - also have seen some MS KB's relating to IN CD that nero has and there is a fix for 32 bit and 64 bit versions of vista ( apparently fixed in SP 1 of vista ).

I don't use vista - but you may be able to try the trial version of Nero 9 to see if that rectifies it which according to the above FAQ should

Good luck

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,048 Times in 970 Posts

event viewer

Does vista have event viewer or something along those lines in control panel --> administrative tools ?

see what errors and event ids you are getting if you can find any error logs or event viewer logs or anything like that.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoom7000 View Post
    The drive is a Pioneer DVD-RW DVRTD08A ATA. Any ideas what could be wrong?
    Have you tried changing the ATA cable? Is the ATA cable getting interference from somewhere? Is the ATA slot on your motherboard knackered? Is there a slave device (harddrive, other CD drive) on the same bus that's not working, spewing out scrambled data? Are slave/master jumpers set correctly? If set to cable-select, try setting to master.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Try reducing the initial burn speed. Used to be a good trick with CD-Rs, with DVDs your mileage may vary but it's worth a try.

Thank Post
    Just a thought !! Try plugging in an external USB DVD writer and see if the problem goes away!!

Thank Post
    The Toshiba Qosmio F50-10z is a laptop, so I can't really perform any hardware diagnostics. I did reinstall the OS a few times actually. Started off with Toshiba preinstalled Home Premium (x86) and I successfully burned the 2 restore DVDs that Toshiba's applications prompt you to. I then upgraded to Vista Ultimate (x64) because the Home Premium (x86) was pointless because it has 4Gb RAM. Started having problems burning disks. Tried loads of disks, no luck, sent off for repair.

As soon as it come back from repair (replaced DVD drive) I installed Windows 7. I didn't get round to trying to burn a disk before reinstalling Vista (x64). Again, tried burning after install, no luck.

Finally spent all weekend doing a clean reinstall of Vista again and this time installed all of Toshiba's crap that I was trying to stay away from. (Software and other bits and pieces downloaded from thier website) However, it seems to have done the trick. I just managed to burn a Vista iso. I'll burn a few more disks tomorrow and see how it fairs. Looks like I may have been missing a driver or something. I also noticed a firmware update they have only just released a few days ago for my DVD drive, so I updated that too.

It's all a bit funny really, I ordered 2 of these laptops, both from Toshiba direct, both at the same time, same order, 1 for me and 1 for the NM and albeit they are identical machines, they have different DVD drives. Mine is a Pioneer (as mentioned above). NM's is a HL-DT-ST GSA-T50N. Just tried burning a Dual Layer disk on NM's laptop today and had no problems at all.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread