+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, 2.5" 10k 320GB SATA HDD in Technical; Hi, Our dept head has bought a Western Digital HDD 2.5" 10k 320GB 300mbps, its a nice piece of kit, ...
    Thank Post

2.5" 10k 320GB SATA HDD

Hi,

Our dept head has bought a Western Digital HDD 2.5" 10k 320GB 300mbps, its a nice piece of kit, but it's twice as thick as a normal HDD, its 1.5cm thick!!!

This means it wont fit in any of our laptops and then one that it will maybe fit in the sata connector on the laptop is half cm too low so wont plug in.

Anybody ever come accross this before?

D

Thank Post
    Its for a server. Post it to me and i'll replace it with a laptop one (4200rpm)

Thank Post
    LOL............ Nope its ok he has a converter so he can use it in his desktop, I would imagine he will be doing that shortly. It will then be on to the next gadget!

D

Thank Post
    :'(

Hope he enjoys the noise!! :huff:

Lol.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    Which drive is it to be nosey, as I thought the only ones they made at that speed were the WD VelociRaptors which are desktop drives designed for enterprise and high end use such as gaming (and people that love speedy pcs like me)

WD VelociRaptor 300 GB SATA Hard Drives ( WD3000BLFS )

Thank Post
    We have one in one of our UTMs in the office. I was considering implementing them as the standard drive, but we'd need to remanufacture the mountings. Hitachi have been really irritating in constantly discontinuing drives - and these are server grade drives too, we are on our 4th revision, though there are only 3 with customers (1st change was during beta). New UTMs ship with the 320Gb 7200rpm Hitachi E7k320. Bit big but all we could lay hands on. Each revision is a touch faster than the last though, which is nice if you're doing bogloads of reporting. The WD does not seem over noisy, and it is *rapid* - maybe when we do a Guardian appliance I will consider it as a production unit again... right now it is jammed in leeds-test-1 avec no screws at all

It is under the velociraptor brand john, and AFAIK it is the only 10k 2.5" SATA (you can get 15k in SAS).

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts
    Are you telling me my UTM that I bought at my last place has a Hitachi Deathstar in it!!!! If so I've just gone off them

My reason is I lost all my GCSE and A Level coursework on that brand of drives, will NEVER buy them again! (and before the smarties come on and say backups, I would except both drives failed within hours of first use so had installed the OS and Word-processing package, finished writing coursework, or nearly finished it and then saved and then the tink tink tink noise and off they went to HDD Heaven).

I'd think the UTMs would be great with the VelociRaptors in them, I've had the 74 and the 150GB previous models they have done of them (previous generations to the current VelociRaptors) and they are still great drives and quiet enough, the 150 is in my current PC as the main drive and its great speed

How bout you send me a UTM-1000 free Tom complete with the VelociRaptors in it and I will give it a permanent good testing for you

Oh and thanks Tom for that info, guess WD haven't updated the website yet to show it, will get CCL onto finding them and listing them as a 10K external drive would be very good for backups from servers

Thank Post
    We have been extremely impessed with the Hitachi drives so far - reliability wise they've been good, though we have had one or two failures its to be expected on that many units, and AFAIK we have had no failures of the 120Gb units at all - even the one I dropped at BETT is in good nick.

Thank Post
    I've been looking a the 300GB Western Digital Veliciraptors and whilst I fancy one or more - they're quite poorly designed, as has been mentioned in 2.5" guise their much thicker than normal thus don't fit into laptops or removable hot swap bays, in 3.5" guise with the built in heatsink and mount, the SATA connectors don't line up as per normal SATA hard drives - so you can't use them in any 3.5" hot swap drive bays either!!!!!

Sillyness!

Agree with John though. They call them Deathstars for a reason. They used to be IBM Deathstars, now they are Hitachi Deathstars. Same s**t diferent label!!!!

By far the most hard drives that have failed over the last 7 years here have been deathstars.

Butuz

Thank Post
    in 3.5" guise with the built in heatsink and mount, the SATA connectors don't line up as per normal SATA hard drives - so you can't use them in any 3.5" hot swap drive bays either!!!!!
    There is a newer version with a different part number that has a redesigned Icepack which has the connectors in the correct place.

Thank Post
    If your doing that much writing just get SSD!!

Hate western digital, love Seagate. 5 yrs warranty and RMA is easy. Plus I find them more reliable.

Thank Post
    SSD are sooo good, I had one of the faster types either SCL or MLC can't remember which one. The same guy who has the 2.5" drive had me install it into a Tablet PC. Boy was it fast afterwards.

D

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Butuz View Post
    Agree with John though. They call them Deathstars for a reason. They used to be IBM Deathstars, now they are Hitachi Deathstars. Same s**t diferent label!!!!

By far the most hard drives that have failed over the last 7 years here have been deathstars.

Butuz
    Luckily the 2.5" drives don't suffer any of the same issues as the old deskstars. To be fair, neither do the new deskstars, but when one fails someone is bound to remember their old nickname.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread