+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, KVM Switch with DB25 Female to Female connectors?? in Technical; Hey guys! It's been a little while, things have been crazy but almost completely rebuilt and running fantastically at the ...
    Thank Post

Post KVM Switch with DB25 Female to Female connectors??

Hey guys! It's been a little while, things have been crazy but almost completely rebuilt and running fantastically at the schools

I've got a question here about one of my 8 port KVM's at home. I recently bought a KVM switch off eBay, Cybex AV-8 Autoview Commander.

Anyways, I've got it here now, and I couldnt make anything display on the monitor. I plugged in my 5 DB25 KVM cables which I had and which was what prompted me to purchase this switch for such a great deal. The cables are male, but since the KVM switch is also male I ended up ordering 8 female to female gender changers. I plugged those in between and they fit perfectly.

I tried booting up a computer, and I couldn't get anything on the screen. I noticed that the computer just seemed to be restarting endlessly. The light went back and forth between the HD Activity light, and the CD-ROM light, which looked to me like it was restarting endlessly. So I tried to look up a manual, and managed to find one generic manual for legacy Cybex KVM products. Luckily for me, the manual helped me get to the control panel by tapping CTRL twice, luckily, it worked. The control panel popped up on the monitor I had connected. But I can't get any further then that.

My question to you guys, is do you think it has something to do with the gender changers I used? I can't figure out why I can't get the computers to talk to the KVM switch. But the switch appears to be working. Any suggestions? If you need more information please let me know. Thanks so much!

Thank Post
    I think the bit that's relevant is this:

I recently bought a KVM switch off eBay
    I hate to say it but I think there was a reason... I'd contact the seller to see if they know about the problem. If you get a null response I'd say it's safe to assume you were had.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Even if the switch was sold on ebay in good faith as a working device, it really needed selling with its cables. As far as I know, there's no standard for the connections on the 25 way connectors; eg if your leads are connecting the monitor to pins 1-15 but the KVM is wired so that the mouse and keyboard go on 1-10 with the monitor on 11-25 then it's not going to work.

Not sure if you'll be able to buy the correct cables separately but cables like this used to make up about half the price of the KVM so they're not likely to be cheap :-(

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread