+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Home Plugs connectors in Technical; Hi all, does anyone have experience of these? I am thinking of getting some for home as we have a ...

Thank Post

Home Plugs connectors

Hi all, does anyone have experience of these? I am thinking of getting some for home as we have a few pc's and the wirless is a bit flakey. Also can you plug them into extensions? What sort of speed is best? I heard through reviews that the 85mb will only give 25mb.. any experiences on this?
    Cheers
    Nik

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NikChillin View Post
    Hi all, does anyone have experience of these? I am thinking of getting some for home as we have a few pc's and the wirless is a bit flakey. Also can you plug them into extensions? What sort of speed is best? I heard through reviews that the 85mb will only give 25mb.. any experiences on this?
    Cheers
    Nik
    No personal experience but most folk I know that have them think are great.

Ebuyer are offering a Twinpack of 85mbps for £34.99 at the moment.

I've heard they do run on extension leads but it's not recommended, especially if they have surge protection etc.

Thank Post
    Yes, we have a pair here to evaluate and they are excellent. We struggled getting traffic between buildings, obviously, but in a house everything's on the same electrical phase so they're much happier.

Thank Post

Thumbs up Homeplug

I was supplied with a pair of these with my BT Vision Box. I was wary of using them but it was better than cabling the flat. I plugged both of them into extension leads and connected them to the net etc and after setting them up they've worked fine.

Thank Post
    I run them at home with good results

At first took the the net feed from my virgin modem to the router in the centre of the house. This worked fine as the speed of the isp link was 20mb and the speed between the plugs ran at about 40-45mb.

then changed router to the the front room and used the plugs to feed one machine at the back of the house. All good but still max speed of 40-45mb

These will not go past the fuse box as we tried to see if this could work for my neighbour next door

Thank Post

Thumbs up

I have four of these, all of which are on extension leads. They all work fine, no issues at all. I'm not sure what speeds they run at but are more than capable for the work that I do at home. Having one in the front room means I often don't have to work in my cold office upstairs, just plug in the laptop and work in comfort

Thank Post
    We've got four of these as wired connections to the network for printers in a PFI build corridor which naturally wouldn't allow any network sockets, etc... without charging £3k.

We got the netgear 85mb versions with 4 network sockets on them and whilst it was a little "interesting" getting to grips with the setup I have to say they work very well... Especially now people read the "don't switch off!" notice on each one

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcshammer_dj View Post
    These will not go past the fuse box as we tried to see if this could work for my neighbour next door
    Unlikely to work next door, but 3 down might. This is because houses are often wired on alternating phases of the three phase system. For this reason they could cause problems in a large school with a 3ph supply.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by NikChillin View Post
    Cheers
    Nik
    We have a pair running at work and we have no problems with them at all. Infact, they are perfect for the places that may require only one or a few network points without running cables.

Scan have an offer on some at the mo

Linksys PLK200-UK Wall Socket PowerLine AV Ethernet Adapter Kit (Twin Pack) £48.29 @ Scan + post&p - HotUKDeals Forum

Thank Post

Thanks everyone for your thoughts on this. I think this is the way to go as I can't be bothered to go through the process of wiring up the house.

Thank Post
    We bought some for the head, as he's a total wifi disaster...work well..except he's just broken a pin off one..god knows how.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread