+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Free Recycling of Old Equipment? in Technical; ITR Recycling (above) are coming to collect 36 CRT monitors for us tuesday. No collection charge, no unit charge, all ...

Thank Post
    ITR Recycling (above) are coming to collect 36 CRT monitors for us tuesday. No collection charge, no unit charge, all free. They assured me they will present us with all the legal paparwork etc
    Will let you know how we get on.

Thank Post
    LCWS have always done a good job for us. They are on 01254 726303. They take anything working or not and don't charge anything.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by andy_d View Post
    We are located in South Derbyshire.
    A company I have used before is Excel Datasystems.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bossman View Post
    @andy_d:
    we have used these before and they were great just came and took everything which was really junk and gave us a nice certificate all for nothing.

Lancashire Computer Waste Services
    I've used these as well and the service was good. Found out about them from others on here using them.

Thank Post
    ITR Recycling
    Arrived on time, took all the equipment, didnt charge a penny and gave all the required paperwork
    Will be using again

6. Thanks to burgemaster from:

dirtydog (23rd February 2009)

Thank Post
    Cheers for letting us know

Cooper

Thank Post
    thanks ill contact them

Thank Post
    Mate Recycling - Sounds as if they are after XP licences to be honest, I'd personally avoid.

If you've ever had any dealings with Stone computers, they now have a disposal place at their site.

It looks an awful lot like a meat grinder for computers.

rad
    Thank Post
    Based in West London we use Techlogic, free, convienient no hassle

Can't talk now: The mother-ship is calling!
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,274 Times in 870 Posts
    Blog Entries

RecycledIT

To add to this thread we have just disposed of more than 80 Viglen Incepta II, associated TFT, several servers and some other odds and ends. I could not guarantee to those collecting the kit that it was in working order [although some of it was]

We tried to make sure that we were not just shifting unusable kit [or equipment that would be uneconomic to salvage/reprocess]

Charge for disposal: None.

They were very friendly and very prompt [they agreed to be on site at 10:00 this morning and that is when the arrived] They took all the kit without question. Excellent service!

Contact details:

Andy Stapleford
    e: andy@recycledit.co.uk
    t: 01480301692

Hope this helps.

12. 2 Thanks to DaveP:

Arthur (5th August 2009), Jamman960 (5th August 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanks for this, I've just contacted them.

I've had nothing but trouble with another free WEEE collection company, will give the full story once an alternative has been booked

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,443 Times in 1,891 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CPLTD View Post
    isnt there any legalities with using freecycle, i.e school policies that make sure a registered wee company only takes old school equipment because of the data protection act ect , im curious
    Quote Originally Posted by LeMarchand View Post
    Surely it would be OK if the disks were securely wiped? (Or, even better, removed and destroyed - but then you wouldn't have so many takers).
    Quote Originally Posted by witch View Post
    We have two separate networks: admin and curriculum, and I only deal with curriculum machines. So, there is no pupil data of any sort on the machines, just a few junior school software programs.
    I wipe the disks and reformat. Sometimes if the disks are a reasonable size I will swap them out for old smaller disks I have about the place.

Frankly, I have never had a problem and have now found homes for upwards of 50 machines over the years.
    The issue isn't regarding the data, it is regarding the legal requirement to prove the materials were disposed of correctly under the WEEE regulations.

There is nothing specific about not being able to give it away to others, however, if you give something away, and it ends up flytipped etc... then it wouldn't be the person who had it from you who would be in trouble - it'd be you. You'd need some form of transfer of responsibilities documentation to prove that you transferred ownership to the new person.

Also, something to remember here is the following:

Quote Originally Posted by Environment Agency
    • If you bought equipment before 13 August 2005, and are replacing it with new equipment fulfilling the same function, then the producer of the new equipment is responsible for the collection, treatment and recycling of the old equipment, regardless of whether they were the original manufacturer.
    • If you bought the equipment before 13 August 2005 and do not replace it, then you are responsible for financing and arranging treatment in accordance with the WEEE Regulations and existing waste management legislation, including the Duty of Care and the Hazardous Waste Regulations.
    • If you bought electrical equipment after 13 August 2005, then the producer of that equipment is responsible for its collection, treatment and recycling when you dispose of it.
    • If you lease or rent equipment, the producer is usually responsible for its disposal.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,877 Times in 1,395 Posts
    Blog Entries
    we used DNA IT Recycling, did our whole school for free!

Thank Post
    We're based in S.E. Derbyshire and we've just used IT Collections Ltd - A computer recycling company and IT disposal centre to dispose of a lot of our old kit.

There were circa 130 desktop units, around 20 or 30 TFT panels, some CRTs, a couple of old poweredge servers and a good 40 or 50 broken laptops (that had been cannibalised for spares over the years) and they happily took the lot.

Cost us nothing. They provided a certificate of collection when they picked it up on Friday, and assured me we will get a certificate of secure data disposal in a couple of weeks along with a complete breakdown of kit in terms of serial numbers (I already have that anyway but it will be interesting to see if any of it "disappears" along the way).

In terms of the servers, we removed the drives and wiped them ourselves - with the oxy-acetylene gear in the technology prep room. That was fun.

Thank Post
    Just had ITcollections Ltd from Derby collect a load of old equipment from free. Couldnt complain about anything, rang him up about a week ago, sorted out a date and time, and he turned up as he said he would. Definately be using them again. It puts countys collection to shame, having to wait about 8 weeks for collection from them, and we pay them 25 a year. Anyway, would recommend IT Collections Ltd. itcollections.co.uk

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast