+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Multiple Screens Displaying 1 Image in Technical; Wondering if someone can give me some advice to pass on to my mate who asked me this: She wants ...

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Multiple Screens Displaying 1 Image

Wondering if someone can give me some advice to pass on to my mate who asked me this:

She wants to be able to have 4-9 Screens, showing the same image.. it will be a cluster of screens so she wants a segment of the image ti disply on each monitor.

I have never tried to do this before, so the question is

- What screens have to be used, or dont it matter aslong as its a PC monitor

- Is there any software involved, if so what is it

- Any useful information regarding this would be very helpful!

I have recommended, she but a Large TV, or Projector but she dont want to and she says she dont have the space either.

Thanks for your help

James.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 791 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Going to have to be a bit vague on this as I've yet to do it myself, however I've fiddled with machines that came from such an environment.

Hardware wise, you'll need a system with multiple graphics cards - each capable of multiple monitors on its own. The only cards that are properly capable of doing this without sacrificing one thing or another for gaming performance are Matrox manufactured - if my dodgy memory serves me, the last ones I were playing with were G200 chipped quad head (1 card, 4 screens) PCI cards.
    Example: MATROX G200 QUAD 32MB PCI G2+/QUADP-PL/7 & VGA CABLES! on eBay, also Graphics Video Cards, Graphics, Video TV Cards, Desktop PC Components, Computing (end time 05-Feb-09 21:21:45 GMT)

Or looking at more modern alternatives:
    Matrox M-Series quad-head graphics cards rear up | IT PRO

They also do a G450 version which I may assume might be priced between the above two solutions.

Do check out the matrox site however : dug up this link for the software which may provide some use (although only with their cards) :

Matrox Graphics - Products - Multi-Display Desktop Software

So a pair of quad head graphics cards should run a bank of 8 screens without issue, you can add and remove the cards if you need more or less - just make sure the system you're using them in has adequate slots in whatever flavour, PCI for the older ones or PCI Express for the favoured newer cards.

Thank Post
    This type of thing is usually refered to as a video wall.

If you Google it you'll find companies who do this, don't want to think of the cost.

Might be some issues with setting up something like this yourself, principaly getting the balance of all the monitors same/similar.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    @ synaesthesia - Thank you for that information i will have a look through what you've said tomorrow when i am more awake

@ Antoeknee, exactly i have warned this person that its going to cost a fair few bob, and it needs to be very accurate.

Hey we will see what the final out come it =]

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread