+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Hardware Thread, HP want a faulty drive back in Technical; Before the xmas holidays (the last day that i worked), one of our SAS drives had failed so HP kindly ...
    Thank Post

HP want a faulty drive back

Before the xmas holidays (the last day that i worked), one of our SAS drives had failed so HP kindly sent out a replacement which arrived yesterday. Now, on the box, they are asking for the old drive to be sent back to them. The only trouble is, this drive was part of a Raid 5 configuration and on that raid was a lot of confidential information. I dont want to send the drive back as they said that they will try to fix the drive and format it. Well, in my mind if thats the case i aint sending the drive back as the information my still be accessable.

What does everyone else do in this situation?

Thanks

Tim

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    I'd say check with them about what exactly they plan to do with the drive, and any guarantees they can make about data security. Anything they say, you'll want to get in writing as well and keep it filed safely.

Thank Post
    Had a problem with a Dell laptop, new HDD arrived and installed, said we could keep our old one as I had various thoughts about the security and confidentiality of data.

They said keep it for a while and we'll ask for it too be sent in a few weeks. Needless to say they still haven't asked for the drive back.

Just tell them, you don't want to send confidential data, and you want to dispose of the data for yourself.

Thank Post
    I wouldn't've thought that they could extract much meaningful data from a single drive out of a RAID array??

Thank Post
    Right ok, thanks for the replies.

The only thing now is i have got to ring to the other side of the world to state this.... its a shame i can't email them...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by timbo343 View Post
    Right ok, thanks for the replies.

The only thing now is i have got to ring to the other side of the world to state this.... its a shame i can't email them...
    Ignore it, wait for them too call you!

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by SpuffMonkey View Post
    I wouldn't've thought that they could extract much meaningful data from a single drive out of a RAID array??
    Especially a single failed drive!

Thank Post
    They'll have a policy in place, when they do get the drive back they may do a few tests to see if its still functional and can be re-deployed by them, otherwise they'll put an RMA request in with the manufacturer who will re-condition the drive where possible and probably send it back out as a warranty replacement.

Either way it'll surely be wiped to military standards before being put back into circulation... neither HP or any manufacturer would survive if they allowed customer data to be restored from drives shipped by them.

HP will chase the faulty disk and charge you for the replacement if you don't sent it back, either way they won't be out of pocket.

Thank Post
    I once got a new laptop screen for a laptop which had been damaged. They sent a 14" when I requested 15". I asked for the correct one which they sent and issued a return for the other, it's still on my shelf 3 years later as noone ever came for it!

Thank Post
    We've never had to send any replacement parts back to HP or Dell, and have never been chased by them for payment.

They always tell us to dispose of them, unless they contain any elements that cannot be binned or recycled.

Mike

Thank Post
    Hey guys,

its pretty standard procedure for them to ask for the drive back as part of the warranty procedure.

All being said and done the drive will go back, realistically they will format it first, then check for disks errors on some bit of generic software and if all is ok resell it as a returned and non-faulty drive. If it ever lands in any new clients server, either it will replace a drive in an array and therefore be immediately written too, or someone will install a OS on it to start a new build...either way you data is never accessible.

Also with it being 1 drive in the array, it has some parity info on it which contains pointers to bits of data in the array, nothing usuable in that state anyway.

I wouldnt worry at all, the HP "machine" is such a huge operation, im tempted to tell you that there is almost no human intervention in the initial receipt and formatting stage.

By the way Happy New Year Guys and Gals.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,446 Times in 1,894 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I can understand the worry here though, as the DPA requires us to ensure that adequate protection is in place for any confidential data that we hold. Returning a disk, whether it was in an array or not, still jumps out as being a dangerous thing to do. Sure, we can all hypothesise about what HP do with it, but without written proof from them a school would still be liable if that data ended up being read by some hacker bod somewhere. Even with written assurances, it would still be a massive issue.

My thought on the issue would be to seek guidance from the Information Commissioner's office first, and see what they say.

Thank Post
    degauss gun.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    The simplest way to avoid this issue, although expensive, is not to claim warranty protection on broken drives that have confidential data on them. Simply stump up the cash for a replacement drive. In fact, if HP cannot or will not guarantee the security of the data on the returned drive (regardless of the state it's in) it's your only choice. Unfortunately a 'real' cost of complying with the DPA.

Thank Post
    Who or what is the Information Commissioner's office? and i think a very strong magnet might do the trick

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast