+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, NS Optimum Workstations in Technical; Hello Again Just before I started working here at my current school, my predecessor ordered 30 NS Optimum workstations to ...

Thank Post

NS Optimum Workstations

Hello Again

Just before I started working here at my current school, my predecessor ordered 30 NS Optimum workstations to replace older kit. I have just noticed that all of the machines were supplied with Microsoft Windows Vista - Home Basic. We are currently using Windows XP Pro on them through the Microsoft Schools Agreement. My question is, is Vista Home Basic a legitimate 'base' operation system to have for a Windows XP volume upgrade? I was under the assumption that it wasn't. I've been notified by the Bursar that NS Optimum were fully aware that we would be using XP Pro on them.

Any advice and guidance would be grateful.

In a Server Room cutting through a forest of Cat5e
    Thank Post
    No.

vista home is equiv to xp home and you cant downgrade to that

Youre predecessor must have requested VHB because NSO wouldnt normally provide anything but XPPro or VistaBusiness/Premium

Thank Post
    Are you sure about XP Home Edition? I don't have the quote for the computer order, but by looking at similar machines on NS Optimum's website, they are selling them with Vista Basic...
    NS Optimum Total ICT Solutions Provider For Schools And Colleges

Thank Post
    MS Schools agreement allows you to put Vista Enterprise/Business or XP Pro on any pc as long as it allready has a windows licence. this can be 3.11 / 95 / 98 / xp home / etc

this is part of the Desktop Licence that costs you 23-35 quid per workstation per year

Thank Post
    Pretty Sure K-strider is right I have been dealing with Licensing here for around five years and all the PC suppliers I have dealt with which is numerious amount asked if I had a Microsoft Schools License when I have said I have they all said that as long as you have this License you can have the lowest priced windows System then upgrade with the School License.

One tail of caution is I had quite a few optimum machines when I first arrived here and I spoke to the person here who was in charge of the Network before me and they said that their had been some issues with Optimum and Licensing in that they didn't provide license keys with the machines, it got to the point where the school and LEA were extremely unhappy with Optimum.

They can also be a bit agressive in their Sales as I have had some quotes off them and they have rang me three or four times a week to see if I had decided yet and on one occasion were a bit upset when I decided to purchase from someone else, needless to say I haven't used them for anymore quotes.

Thank Post
    XP Home and Vista basic is sufficient enough to act as a base license for a schools agreement.

Thank Post
    Thanks for clearing up the licencing issue. The other issue I am faced with, is that I have a dozen with faulty PSUs, and trying to get replacements from NS Optimum is a nightmare (they are all still within warranty).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by 80murphyjoe View Post
    Thanks for clearing up the licencing issue. The other issue I am faced with, is that I have a dozen with faulty PSUs, and trying to get replacements from NS Optimum is a nightmare (they are all still within warranty).
    Their kit looks pretty standard, might be worth buying a few replacements to use while you wait for stuff to come from NSO.

If you havn't already, have a dig around the forum, quite a lot of people have experience with NSO.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Steven_Cleaver View Post
    Pretty Sure K-strider is right I have been dealing with Licensing here for around five years and all the PC suppliers I have dealt with which is numerious amount asked if I had a Microsoft Schools License when I have said I have they all said that as long as you have this License you can have the lowest priced windows System then upgrade with the School License.

One tail of caution is I had quite a few optimum machines when I first arrived here and I spoke to the person here who was in charge of the Network before me and they said that their had been some issues with Optimum and Licensing in that they didn't provide license keys with the machines, it got to the point where the school and LEA were extremely unhappy with Optimum.

They can also be a bit agressive in their Sales as I have had some quotes off them and they have rang me three or four times a week to see if I had decided yet and on one occasion were a bit upset when I decided to purchase from someone else, needless to say I haven't used them for anymore quotes.
    Aggressive is an understatement....they now know better than to ring us up anymore though

NS_Optimum_Ltd
    Quote Originally Posted by 80murphyjoe View Post
    <edited for spam. PM Sent>

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,173 Times in 900 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Didn't know about the MS licensing thing for some reason, yet to need it though but will bear that in mind.

Not too impressed with NSO's support personally, to start with it sounds outsourced and to second they just pass the buck to manufacturers. Not good when it was their fitting staff that mucked up an installation No problems with the kit itself though generally.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread