+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Hardware Thread, Whole room for 4500 - possible? in Technical; ...
    Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    Sorry, TS CALS, even - so that's 100 (ish) for Windows Server and 20 (ish) per workstation for device and TS CALS. Technically for 6 workstations that's 220 (ish) - maybe better round up to 250.
    Where are you getting your licences from David? MS Academic prices through aur LEA are waaaay cheaper:

Windows 2003 Server Std : 48.71
    Windows Terminal Services CAL: 8.99

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    Hey, their waste is our gain :-)

--
    David Hicks
    Quite what I was thinking too. I assume we're all here as we work in education, so we are all gaining from all this "nearly-new" stock being sold off a B grade and as 2nd hand prices (some good bargains about too)!

With regards to thin client - I'm not dismissing it at all, just saying that I don't see why there is a big hype about it. Sure, in some environments it can be life saving (whether that is budget restraining or what not), however if you don't have to take that route then why do so? I'm not prepared to take an interest in it if we aren't going to benefit in any way - that's just my opinion; i'm not dismissive of "all new technologies without first doing my homework on them".

The OP wanted to replace an IT suite which I assume is used heavily, thus they'll want as much power in there as they can afford and do without too much inconvenience - fat clients I would say are better here.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Butuz View Post
    Where are you getting your licences from David? MS Academic prices through aur LEA are waaaay cheaper
    Ah - we're a private school, we don't have any purchasing agreement (or, on the up side, interference) from an LEA, and we have to pay VAT, too.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveSmith View Post
    Sure, in some environments it can be life saving (whether that is budget restraining or what not), however if you don't have to take that route then why do so?
    You only have to install / configure server-based applications once, you don't have a bunch of seperate machines to deal with. Also, thin clients can come in dead handy for remote access - let your pupils connect to the same desktops they use at school, from home. Of course, ideally we'll all ditch this whole "desktop" thing in a couple of years and be using entirely web-based applications anyway.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,451 Times in 1,897 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveSmith View Post
    With regards to thin client - I'm not dismissing it at all, just saying that I don't see why there is a big hype about it. Sure, in some environments it can be life saving (whether that is budget restraining or what not), however if you don't have to take that route then why do so? I'm not prepared to take an interest in it if we aren't going to benefit in any way - that's just my opinion; i'm not dismissive of "all new technologies without first doing my homework on them".

The OP wanted to replace an IT suite which I assume is used heavily, thus they'll want as much power in there as they can afford and do without too much inconvenience - fat clients I would say are better here.
    As dhicks has said, installing an app only has to be done once - on the server. The clients last 10 years, minimum. Updating a suite is as simple as replacing the server. You will be able to afford a larger number of clients with the same amount of money. You save a lot in terms of power (the thin clients don't get anywhere near as hot either, so you save on not needing aircon too). ie. altogether, it's far more sustainable than fat clients.

But all of that is thoroughly discussed by Becta and in various threads on here too...

Thank Post

4500 - It is possible

With the pre-owned equipment we stock, we can provide over 25 systems (HP DC7100 business pc's and HP TFT's) for 4500. This includes keyboard mouse and 12 month ICT Direct warranty.

We can also suit the specifications to your needs.

John Graham
    ICT Direct Ltd
    www.ict-direct.co.uk

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234