+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Whole room for 4500 - possible? in Technical; I know, but that was including the licences and we use branded Dell kit with 4 hour response. So yep ...
    Thank Post
    I know, but that was including the licences and we use branded Dell kit with 4 hour response. So yep you probably could get on cheaper than that, but think he would be better off spending that bit more as he will have "all his eggs in one basket so to speak". Hence 3K for the system, i suppose if he wanted to he could get two cheaper ones and load balance them, then if one fails the use the other until its repaired.
    It personaly choice really, We prefer a very powerful and reliable single server that is well looked after, than two cheaper ones that aren't as powerful and possibly less reliable. However we have 5 other PC suites that use standard clients so if the terminal server classroom goes down its annoying but not the end of the world.

Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    You can get the server cheaper than that. Don't forget about licenses

That little bit in the middle of Little Old England
    Thank Post
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 739 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Butuz View Post
    I know exactly how you feel mate! 2006 budget - 50k, 2007 was 6.5k, 2008 worked out about 2.5k

All the hard work I've put in over the last 7 years is basically being undone due to finances.

Butuz
    Same here; our budget the last two years has been consumables only...

Last edited by tech_guy; 16th December 2008 at 09:10 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,587 Times in 1,390 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Bezwick View Post
    I know, but that was including the licences and we use branded Dell kit with 4 hour response. So yep you probably could get on cheaper than that, but think he would be better off spending that bit more as he will have "all his eggs in one basket so to speak". Hence 3K for the system, i suppose if he wanted to he could get two cheaper ones and load balance them, then if one fails the use the other until its repaired.
    It personaly choice really, We prefer a very powerful and reliable single server that is well looked after, than two cheaper ones that aren't as powerful and possibly less reliable. However we have 5 other PC suites that use standard clients so if the terminal server classroom goes down its annoying but not the end of the world.
    A few months ago we got a server with this spec

Dell Poweredge 1900
    2 x Quad Core
    8GB Ram
    Raid 5 120GB
    3 Year 4 hour warrenty

That just suied us for a TS

Thank Post
    Thanks for all the replies folks. Thin client sounds like a plan but we're a bit short on manpower for getting the whole system setup.

I reckon second user is probably the best bet. Hopefully once we're out of the deficit spending will go back to normal again.

Re: monitors. I've got no preference for them being wide or 5:4. It was jsut all that seemed available when looking at new systems.

Cheers

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,693 Times in 1,266 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I did a whole room with 5000 (albeit that everything was 2nd hand). The PC's were not bad spec, and came from an Academy not too far from me. We managed to get 2.8Ghz CPU, 1GB ram, 80GB hdd, and 128MB GFX cards in the machines. More than adequate.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,587 Times in 1,390 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Also a note with monitors, widescreen and larger screens, they take up more room that your standard 17" than you think.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by a_d_atkinson View Post
    Thanks for all the replies folks. Thin client sounds like a plan but we're a bit short on manpower for getting the whole system setup.

I reckon second user is probably the best bet. Hopefully once we're out of the deficit spending will go back to normal again.
    If you are short of manpower, thin client is the way to go.... much, much easier to manage.

If you simply don't like the idea of thin clients - some people just don't trust them for some reason - ICT Direct is your friend. John Graham will source you anything... hell, he'll even sell you a server for your thin client setup!

Thank Post
    Just gone back and checked my Purchase order, same spec as yours, same server even except we have 16Gig instead of 8Gig and yeah your right it was less than i remembered 2000, but then you need licences on top of that.

Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    A few months ago we got a server with this spec

Dell Poweredge 1900
    2 x Quad Core
    8GB Ram
    Raid 5 120GB
    3 Year 4 hour warrenty

That just suied us for a TS

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Ric_ View Post
    If you are short of manpower, thin client is the way to go.... much, much easier to manage.

If you simply don't like the idea of thin clients - some people just don't trust them for some reason - ICT Direct is your friend. John Graham will source you anything... hell, he'll even sell you a server for your thin client setup!
    To be honest we've got a funny arrangement. Previous HoD was in charge of techie and teaching side of technology and after his retirement it's left my (ICT HoD) and two technicians. Strictly speaking nobody is in charge of the techie side!

I've not looked into thin client at all to be honest but from a quick read up it sounds great and would suit our needs in terms of expanding. Much more chance of upgrading the servers every few years rather than a whole suit of machines.

Where can I go for an absolute numpties guide to setting the system up and what I need?

Thank Post
    Where can I go for an absolute numpties guide to setting the system up and what I need?
    EduGeek is your friend... see the links section at A guide to thin client computing

Thank Post

Re: monitors. I've got no preference for them being wide or 5:4. It was jsut all that seemed available when looking at new systems.

Cheers
    Thin Client really isn't hard to setup and as others have said will probably save you shed loads of time in the end.

Just for info Misco had some 15" widescreens yesterday for 35 a pop!

Thank Post

Talking

Sorry mate i don't know of any specific guides to help you, probably best buying a book and reading through it if you have never done it before.
    However i can warn you of a few things to watch out for.

Server OS

First you need to decide which server OS to use, each one having advantages and disadvantages.
    For example
    Windows Server 2003 Std (32Bit).
    Good compatability with applications (Moving from 98 you will have to think about compatability for your existing software).
    However Limited to 4Gig of Ram, and limited expansion opportunities.

Windows Server 2003 Std (32Bit)
    Less compatability with older programs but can use more memory.

Windows Server 2003 Ent (32Bit)
    Good balance of Compatability and can use up 32G of ram i think (Might be 16) This is what we use. Draw back is only 2 allowed for use with the Kernel.

Windows Server 2003 Ent (64Bit)
    Allows for more efficent use of resources, however again may have compatability issues with legacy programs.

Windows Server 2008
    I orginally tried to setup our terminal server with this but found that alot of our older programs wouldn't work with it. However could be worth looking at.

Server Specs, As you would expect the more powerful the better.

Installation
    Hide the system drive with GPO's, but make the C: drive big as the documents & settuings folder will probably get quite big. (we scheduled delprof to delete it once every two months). If you want to move doc's & settings default location to another drive as far as i am aware it can oly be done during install.

That should get you started but, its not that difficult, but expect to reinstall your server a couple of times until you get it right.

Thank Post

Room for 4500

OUCH i thought our budget was tight this year but that's painful.

out of the two sudgestions so far i recon that thin client would suit you the best, yeah the server costs a bit more and you may need to get in outside help for the setup but adding extra stations in the future once it is setup shoule be more economical for you.

Also remember average refresh rate for thin client is 10 years (or when the monitor breaks).

Thank Post
    I just bought 30 brand new computers for our suite for 4860.
    We bought asus eee boxes and they are doing us just fine!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveSmith View Post
    I feel for you. We currently have ~25 spare P4 machines (1.7ghz, 256MB, 20GB) that we probably will be disposing of/donating/bulk selling cheaply.
    Heck, there's your solution then - stick some second-hand (or new, even) TFT screens on those, upgrade the RAM a bit (probably add another 256MB at 10 each) and you're away. Probably have money left over at that rate.

For thin client, you don't have to spend money on licenses - Edubuntu is free, designed for education, and has all the stuff to do thin-client computing built right in. Bargain.

--
    David Hicks

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast