+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Local colour printer in Technical; All classroom teachers have the option of a mono laser printer in their classroom. Teachers being teachers, one or two ...

Thank Post

Local colour printer

All classroom teachers have the option of a mono laser printer in their classroom. Teachers being teachers, one or two HAVE to have colour. One of them has a Deskjet 895Cxi, which I donated but her laptop doesn't have a parallel port and the USB-Parallel convertor I put on is erratic. ie. it works for me but not her!

It seems that HP has deemed that small, economic printers don't generate enough consumable revenue. Can anyone suggest a reasonable, cheap to run, colour printer please.

USB is fine, doesn't need to be networked.

Thank Post
    When I last worked out costings on this, if space isn't a factor, a colour laser was the more economical option. Unfortunately since I did all my figures they seem to have canned the printers I based it on! The cheap HP lasers worked out almost the same cost per page as using OEM injet carts, but the cheapest colour Canon at the time was what came out on top. Haven't had chance to order one yet though..

If you can still source the HP 2600N and aren't using it in a networked environment, these have proved a reliable workhorse for us - haven't had the spooler problems etc others have mentioned but not using it in the same setup.

Thank Post
    I wouldn't touch any of the "cheap" colour inkjets with a 400 foot bargepole because they kill the end user on the consumables. This is particularly true of the newest Canon Pixma range as they've gone with the iP3600 and iP4600's with completely different and considerably smaller cartridges. Worst still they took a step back on the functionality so it's obvious they reacted to chip resetters and 3rd party consumables for the earlier models.

If I was to recommend anything I'd say go with an iP3500 or ip4500... If you are allowed or able then I'd definitely suggest going on ebay to the Canon refurb' store and get an iP4300 for around 35. As a printer they're excellent, they have alternative consumables (at long last!) and the print quality is really good with functionality which saves paper and will definitely win points (auto double sided & booklet)..

If you want a direct ebay link feel free to PM me..

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    It seems that HP has deemed that small, economic printers don't generate enough consumable revenue. Can anyone suggest a reasonable, cheap to run, colour printer please.
    We've been doing just fine buying old HP Business Inkjet 1100 / 1200 machines off eBay. Reliable enough machines (take separate print heads, solves problems with clogging), and sometimes around 30 a go on eBay. There are probably cheaper printers to run, though.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    we replaced most of our hp deskjets in the classrooms with Xerox phaser 6111 colour lasers.

Xerox Phaser 6110 and 6110N Printers

Thank Post
    HP DeskJet 6940's they do us and they are only around 70 I think. Worth a look plus they even come with an on board NIC.

7. Thanks to MatthewL from:

laserblazer (15th December 2008)

Thank Post
    We have some HP2600s and find them expensive to run. It would also be too big for the desk in this instance. I'm sure our new Bursar will be ok with Ebay. I'll take a look.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewL View Post
    HP DeskJet 6940's they do us and they are only around 70 I think. Worth a look plus they even come with an on board NIC.
    HP DeskJet 6940's - in stock - 68.99 with free dleivery if you would like any?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by dhicks View Post
    We've been doing just fine buying old HP Business Inkjet 1100 / 1200 machines off eBay. Reliable enough machines (take separate print heads, solves problems with clogging), and sometimes around 30 a go on eBay. There are probably cheaper printers to run, though.

--
    David Hicks
    Got one of these business inkjets in the garage if anyone wants to pick it up - for free...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,340 Times in 728 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by RabbieBurns View Post
    we replaced most of our hp deskjets in the classrooms with Xerox phaser 6111 colour lasers.

Xerox Phaser 6110 and 6110N Printers
    Just tried one of those as they are dirt cheap but it has been nothing but hassle. Sometimes it locks up when printing large documents and stoped working compleatly after only 2 weeks due to the waste toner bottle being full after only 200 copies had been printed.

Also the fuser is at the top where the paper comes out and this gets so hot that in a cold classroom you can see the heat.

Teach me for trying an alternative to HP
    Last edited by SYSMAN_MK; 16th December 2008 at 11:21 AM.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    We've had no problems really. I even bought one for the house I liked them so much. Its been fine too so far

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread