+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Speaker Setup in Technical; Hello all, I have a question I hope you audio enthusiasts can help me with - I'm working at a ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,249 Posts

Speaker Setup

Hello all,

I have a question I hope you audio enthusiasts can help me with -

I'm working at a school where they have speakers installed for whiteboards. These speakers are wired into an amp and then a dual VHS/DVD player is also connected into this.

The other classrooms currently have no fixed speakers and are using portable speakers with a 3.5mm jack. This does add a problem getting sound to work with the dual VHS/DVD player as this uses a phono connection.

I've used active speakers before, as they're cheaper, but also they do not require an amplifier which reduces the cost per classroom considerably. This would work perfectly with any PC, but still, there's a problem getting sound from the VHS/DVD player.

I bought a cable like this would the sound work?
    Alternatively is there an adapter/hub/switch I can buy which allows a single 3.5mm in, then 1 x 3.5mm and 1 x phono out? This would allow all cables to remain connected and just require switching over of the audio required (hope this makes sense).

Many thanks

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,413 Times in 1,867 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We have a load of speakers with adapters like the one linked - work fine.

Only thing I've found is simply that they don't last - the adapters go walk about, the speakers go pop etc... much quicker than an amp+speakers based system.

That's why I'm now buying ACOUSTIC SOLUTIONS|SP103|HIFI AMPLIFIER, STEREO | CPC and some 45W wall mounted monacor speakers. A complete setup comes to about 85, and will last at least 4 years. We seem to get through the cheap 3.5" jack type speakers (costing about 35 a set) about once a year.

3. Thanks to localzuk from:

Michael (8th December 2008)

Thank Post
    Here we plug the speakers into the 3.5mm audio out port on the computer and then use a phono to 3.5mm jack and plug that into the audio in port on the computer (usually the blue port) and then the sound runs through the pc and back out through the speakers.

hope this helps, you could have a look here for an idea for cables - Gold-Plated 2 Phono Sockets to 3.5mm Stereo Plug Adaptor > Maplin

5. Thanks to EvLPhenom from:

Thank Post
    I'd second the "get a fixed amp" suggestion for much the same reasons. If not, you can certainly get phono switches ([ame="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Red-Phono-Selector-Switch-Bulk/dp/B000LARTHQ/"]an example[/ame]) and use a couple of adapters.

7. Thanks to LeMarchand from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,567 Times in 1,407 Posts
    We use the Nuvo Wall Amp and speakers, the amp mounts into a deep single gang back box on the wall and 2 devices can be wired into the back of it.

It also has 2 3.5mm front jack inputs that mimic the back ones and you just switch them over with a small switch on the front.

Ben

Thank Post
    I too would use separates. I've installed lots of these two items (again from CPC). It allows the flexibility to have up to 4 stereo sources, but in most cases I only have a VCR, DVD and PC, with the MFL rooms still having cassette recorders. They do take microphones, but I've never experimented with this.

Amplifier

Speakers
    Last edited by Andrew_C; 8th December 2008 at 03:39 PM. Reason: y

Thank Post
    Another vote for the Nuvo Wall Amp and Speakers here.

The amp and PSU fit inside our existing trunking with a flying lead terminated in the appropriate connector. The speakers are mounted high on the wall out of kids' reach. Nothing to go walkies and just one control marked 'volume' which is nice and easy to understand for the less technically minded members of staff.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    We use the Nuvo Wall Amp and speakers, the amp mounts into a deep single gang back box on the wall and 2 devices can be wired into the back of it.

It also has 2 3.5mm front jack inputs that mimic the back ones and you just switch them over with a small switch on the front.

Ben
    +1

Thank Post

As do we, 1 in every classroom, but in the past 6 months we've had to replace almost 50% of them as they've packed in for no reason. Not reliable at all. We won't be using them again.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread