+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Hardware Thread, In-house network cabling in Technical; How many of you do your own network cabling? At the moment we use a 3rd party contractor, but given ...
    Thank Post

In-house network cabling

How many of you do your own network cabling?

At the moment we use a 3rd party contractor, but given some recent problems with them we're thinking about doing it ourselves.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,719 Times in 1,485 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We do some depending on how much we have to do.

Z

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    We do some depending on how much we have to do.

Z
    Same here. We do use an outside contractor mainly though. Been using them for years and never a problem.

coquet636
    Check with your county council first before you start any work. We were going to put a network point into a room only 5 meters away from the patch panel and were told we were not allowed for insurance purposes.....

They said we had to be NIC Certificated.......

In my opinion you dont need to be a fully certified electrician to do a network cable, its not as if its gonna electrocute someone.. . .

Thank Post

If I have the time

If I have the time I will do cable runs, but only working part time at the school covering 10 hours a week I very rarely get the time to do it.
    Daft as getting an external contracter in is a lot more expensive but ho hum.

Thank Post
    We do most cabling ourselves. Due to the fact we generally go for the cheapest quote, which means we get incompitent monkeys doing the job, i would rather just do it myself and get it right first time every time.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,453 Posts
    What would NIC certfication be then? if they meant NICEIC then they are wrong anyway as that deals with electrical installations and not structured cabling.

We have used a local cabling company for the last 5 - 6 years Advantage Technologies and I have no fault with any of their work.

If I had the test gear and time I'd install it myself

Ben

Thank Post
    Dont do our own networking here, apart from 1 or 2 here and there that wouldnt be cost effective to get the contractor in. We have a long standing relationship with the contractor we use.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,468 Times in 1,912 Posts
    Blog Entries
    We've spent a small fortune on cabling over the last couple of years, enough that we could've hired a person as a technician in the school who could've helped out outside of cabling times...

I'd love to do it in house, but it just isn't going to happen.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by coquet636 View Post
    Check with your county council first before you start any work. We were going to put a network point into a room only 5 meters away from the patch panel and were told we were not allowed for insurance purposes.....

In my opinion you dont need to be a fully certified electrician to do a network cable, its not as if its gonna electrocute someone.. . .
    It is in fact possible to electrocute someone through a badly installed Cat 5 cable. Your cable will pass through many different zones wired with different electrical phases and has the potential to give 415 Volts if betwen phase. In any one phase before earth you have the potential 215 Volt

not probable though.

The thing you have to bear in mind is the testing of you cable to ensure it is complient to standards. Otherwise you may not be getting the through put that you think.

Have you a calibrated Fluke tester to test your cable?

And don't forget your cable has to be low smoke zero haligon, the purple stuff but watch out for fakes.
    Last edited by e_g_r; 25th November 2008 at 01:08 PM. Reason: old age!!!!

Thank Post
    We generally have a contractor in to do the work. We had a major refurb over summer with in excess of 140 points needed.
    We have just done an Art room ourself though with 14 network points.. just a stone throw from the nearest patch so wasn't too bad, just a box of cabling, some trunking and a drill!

As most here I guess, we do it ourself if it's 1 or 2 or very close proximity to the patch, else it isn't cost effective considering we're being paid to do another job!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,624 Times in 1,453 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by e_g_r View Post
    It is in fact possible to electrocute someone through a badly installed Cat 5 cable. Your cable will pass through many different zones wired with different electrical phases and has the potential to give 415 Volts if betwen phase. In any one phase before earth you have the potential 215 Volt

not probable though.

The thing you have to bear in mind is the testing of you cable to ensure it is complient to standards. Otherwise you may not be getting the through put that you think.

Have you a calibrated Fluke tester to test your cable?

And don't forget your cable has to be low smoke zero haligon, the purple stuff but watch out for fakes.
    Yes it may go through various zones however I bet my cabling contractors install teams aren't niceic qualled either.

Ben

Thank Post
    We do small bits of cabling ourselves, where it's only a couple of network points of simelar in house. Anything where it's long runs of cable, or more than a few new points we get an outside company to come in and do it for us.

The problem we have with this building is it's a PITA to run cable round, and as a result we have a lot of local wiring cabinets in rooms, where it's easier to run a single wire as an uplink then cable the rest of the room to the local cabinet. Often works out cheaper on the installation as well.

Mike.

Thank Post
    When they built schools in the 50s and 60s they had the foresight to make cabling a PITA. I did one ICT suite on my own over Xmas with no heating and I vowed never again. We get the County Infrastructure Team in now.

As I'm not even supposed to go up a ladder!

coquet636
    Quote Originally Posted by plexer View Post
    What would NIC certfication be then? if they meant NICEIC then they are wrong anyway as that deals with electrical installations and not structured cabling.

We have used a local cabling company for the last 5 - 6 years Advantage Technologies and I have no fault with any of their work.

If I had the test gear and time I'd install it myself

Ben
    Yes, thats the correct certification. Our county Council stated that they needed that level of certification as it comes with a high level of public insurance in case of an accident.

I tried the same reasoning as you, but they deem the cable to be carrying a current. . .

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast