+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Hardware Thread, Mini Laptop in Technical; p.s. Intel Atom N270's now clock @2315mhz if you don't mind the liquid nitrogen Slashdot | MSI Wind U100, Overclocked ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,032 Times in 812 Posts
    p.s. Intel Atom N270's now clock @2315mhz if you don't mind the liquid nitrogen
    Slashdot | MSI Wind U100, Overclocked With Liquid Nitrogen

So they will probably qualify for a 'vista capable' sticker

Thank Post
    I hace ths SSD Acer Aspire One in blue (same blue as the writing on the EduGeek syickers btw )... anyway... I love it. Paid 200 for mine from Currys of all places. Much prefer it to the EeePC 701.

Thank Post
    Last time I checked, Play were doing the blue/512ram/120hd Acer for 200.
    1 gig stick of RAM from Crucial was about 11 or 12 quid.

Couple of points to note:

There is a well known issue with the BIOS locking up, usually a couple of weeks after first use. Look it up on the web and have a bootable USB stick with the latest BIOS files handy... On the other hand you might be lucky! Never had a problem since doing mine, and it was easy enough.

Letters in BIOS password can only be entered in caps.

Linux SSD to XP is not recommended judging by the threads I have read (speed issues).

SSD to HD is not a straight swap either, something about a zif cable and missing SATA port.

Upgrading the RAM or changing the hard drive is a dog of a task which involves completely disassembling the bottom part of the unit including unscrewing the motherboard from the chassis and accessing the other side of it. It wasn't designed for easy access! Theoretically it will take less than half an hour if you know what you're doing. My first attempt took an hour and a half, being very careful, and I still managed to mangle the clips holding the keyboard.

Battery is a paltry 2.5 hours with the standard unit which is flush with the chassis. An extended one is available too.

Max system memory is 1.5gb if you chuck in a one gig stick in the only available slot (512 is built in)

Nippy with XP, 2003 Server is pretty quick too (VM or otherwise, though the graphics drivers don't work).

Keyboard is better than the EEE 701, but the mouse buttons take some getting used to.

Otherwise, spec is untouchable for the price if you are prepared to upgrade it yourself.

Thank Post
    Hi Guys,

any of you tried the Asus 901 model with XP on it. I tried that few months ago, and thats proven very reliable, quick, robust, good looking and battery life is excellent. The next one i want to try is the HP Mininote, then possibly the Acer.

The problem seems to be that the better models in these netbooks push into normal laptop cost territory which makes them a difficult choice to make.

PS. Only gripe about the Asus is that the distribution supply chain is terrible and they come into and out of stock in the UK....creating issues.

Thank Post
    Hp are so much more reliable....i havent got 1 bad thing to say about the warrantys on any of there kit, and i mean not only notebooks, but server kit, storage kit, etc etc. Over the last 6 years i have worked with them , IBM, Tosh, Lenovo, Acer etc etc and HP are the only ones where i can honestly say they have performed briliantly in every aspect.

Anyway enough of my endorsements...its too early in the morning to be patting manufacturers on the back.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sammy View Post
    Hi Guys,

PS. Only gripe about the Asus is that the distribution supply chain is terrible and they come into and out of stock in the UK....creating issues.
    We normally get ours from Insight or RM. They always seem to have plenty of stock.

Thank Post
    Thanks for all the advice you guys - I have now ordered one and will be here tomorrow.

People who have one - should I leave the default O/S on it or reload it with Ubuntu?

Thank Post
    The only extra things I'd need to start with are lamp and gPHPedit. Would these be simple enough to install on the default OS?

Is the default OS locked down (in a similar way to ASUS eee PC's) or is it a full linux distro?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12