+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Dell PowerEdge 1500sc RAID and other server questions in Technical; Despite many warnings to SMT that a new server was needed, one of the servers at one of my schools ...

Thank Post

Dell PowerEdge 1500sc RAID and other server questions

Despite many warnings to SMT that a new server was needed, one of the servers at one of my schools has decided to give up the ghost. It will boot, but only as far as the "loading Server 2003" screen in both normal and safe mode. The SCSI controller will try to fix one disc, but will only find problems on the other. Any Windows-based boot discs (UBCD, Server 2003) fail to find the system discs, but Linux-based ones see all the discs in the machine.

I'm wondering whether the Windows discs need the RAID drivers, but I'm unsure which of the many RAID type d/ls at Dell are needed. Anyone know? I was hoping that a repair install might get things at least going...

Going on from there, this may kickstart some server investment. At the moment, they have 2: the knackered Dell and and HP that seems mainly there for document storage and Ranger (SIMS and all network drives are on the downed machine). I'd rather they get a new Server and just transfer everything across (is this fairly easy to do?) or possibly consolidate everything onto one, or (more work, but spreads the load) the HP for network drives and the new server as the DC/SIMS machine.

However, I think it much more likely that they will just get some extra discs for the HP and want everything migrated onto it. Bearing in mind that my knowledge of setting up servers is virtually nil, is this something that is "do-able"? I'd personally prefer it if the actually got someone from the LEA in to show me how to do it, but the cost would be too high...

Oh, the pupils' (200+) laptops aren't on the domain, so if too many changes were made I'm guessing that the Public folder and network printer would have to be remapped. Pretty sure that the staff laptops aren't on the domain either.

I should point out that I took over after no-one had looked at the school for at least a couple of years (they had a <non, as it worked out->maintenance contract with an outside contractor previously).

Thank Post
    hi there,

the dell server is quite old, so it could be a number of issues, do you have the dell service tag number, having a better idea of the RAID controller can point us to working out which storage controllers are required should you need them.

If they are going to push to have SIMS and other elements like this installed onto the existing HP server you may need to check the spec can handle this, otherwise you could end up with another dead server.....or if not dead...extremely slow.

I would definitely go the new server route and install that as a DC handling DNS, DHCP, print server, not sure if i would put SIMS on the DC, because the SIMS has a SQL backend and im just not comfortable with installing this to the same server.

3. Thanks to sammy from:

LeMarchand (24th November 2008)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by sammy View Post
    the dell server is quite old
    Tell me about it!

it could be a number of issues, do you have the dell service tag number
    Not on site today, will check tomorrow (assuming the internet still available).

If they are going to push to have SIMS and other elements like this installed onto the existing HP server you may need to check the spec can handle this
    Hadn't thought of that!

I would definitely go the new server route and install that as a DC handling DNS, DHCP, print server, not sure if i would put SIMS on the DC, because the SIMS has a SQL backend and im just not comfortable with installing this to the same server.
    The 3 schools that I'm familiar with in the LEA are all single-server, so I'm guessing that it's "approved" (and would save me work if it's possible just to clone the machine - I'm fairly sure that it's the drives on the way out, but I guess it depends on how corrupt they are).

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread