+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Wall Mount PCs in Technical; We are in the process of "speccing" up PCs for our new 6th Form building and are looking for a ...
    Thank Post

Wall Mount PCs

We are in the process of "speccing" up PCs for our new 6th Form building and are looking for a number of wall mounting units, but are not finding much.
    We ideally want a PC that is small, bolts to the wall and then has a flat screen monitor bolted to it.
    I have looked at a few "all-in-one" units (including Macs and Sony Vaio), but I would prefer something along the small form factor route (easier for repair and upgrade).
    Any suggestions?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,811 Times in 1,559 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If you want to down the thin client route you can get ones that are incredibly thin.

They sit on the back of the monitor then you can attach a bracket on the back of the thin client to the wall. I have seen it and it works well.

Thank Post
    The HP USDT cases can be screwed to the wall and have a monitor screwed into them by using a quick release bracket.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Richie_OLSJ View Post
    We ideally want a PC that is small, bolts to the wall and then has a flat screen monitor bolted to it.
    I remember seeing them at BETT last year - full computers, not thin clients, could be wall-mounted and attached to the back of a screen. No idea who was showing them - BETT is only a month or two away, might be worth waiting until then.

We went for SCL machines (forum sponsor) in the end, their all-in-one PCs. A post of mine from a coupld of weeks back has a picture of our new media suite if you want to see what they look like. They did also give us a quote for some small form factor PCs that could be bolted to the wall, but via a bracket I think rather than a proper snazzy mounting.

Edit: It is, of course, possible to make your own "all-in-one" PCs - standard (full-size) case with one side with holes drilled in and monitor screwed to it.

--
    David Hicks
    Last edited by dhicks; 19th November 2008 at 12:46 AM.

Thank Post
    On the Dell ultra small form factor machines you can get the stand that you screw them into with the monitor attached to that, I cannot find anything on their website but it might be worth giving them a call. Hope this helps.

Thank Post
    Thanks for your help.
    We don't have any thin clients and don't want to start going down that road (not got anything against thin clients, just don't want to start using them when the rest of the school is on "full" machines).
    The SCL and the Sony units only seem to have desk mount stands (as do pretty much any of the VESA mount PCs/All-In-Ones - we've just kitted out a CAD suite with some very nice Lenovo units).
    To be honest, I have not yet seen ANY small form factor PCs with the ability to mount to a wall AND have provision for mounting a monitor.
    I will check out Dell and HP, just in case they provide some sort of wall mount stand for their SFF offerings

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by MatthewL View Post
    On the Dell ultra small form factor machines you can get the stand that you screw them into with the monitor attached to that, I cannot find anything on their website but it might be worth giving them a call.
    I think I had a look at those, too - they were nice, but I seem to remember you had to buy a specific stand to fit the case and screen, and all the prices I could people to give me always included the basic PC with another Ł100 or so as a surprise add-on when you mentioned the all-in-one stand. Put the price per unit up rather.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Richie_OLSJ View Post
    To be honest, I have not yet seen ANY small form factor PCs with the ability to mount to a wall AND have provision for mounting a monitor.
    Surely any PC that is designed to mount between a monitor and a stand could be mounted on a VESA wall bracket?

Thank Post
    Hi

We did not fix the pcs to the wall but what we did was fix a set of doors under the counter and placed the pcs behind that. They were out of site and did not get messed with quite so much and the room looked nice and neat. The only advice I would give if you do this is to ensure you have enough space and ventilators for the heat to come out during summer when it gets hot.

Just an idea.

Richard

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew_C View Post
    Surely any PC that is designed to mount between a monitor and a stand could be mounted on a VESA wall bracket?
    No, they tend to mount to specific stands, so can't guarantee that they are VESA.
    However, we are now looking into the HP DC7800 USDT - there are fixing screws at the top (looking at some pics I have seen), but no mention of whether they are VESA

Thank Post
    I'm pretty sure most of the USFF type monitor mounting systems use the monitors VESA holes to attach the stand to monitor. It might be worth looking at some of the adjustable mounting cages (usually used for mounting slim line case under desks) and seeing if you could mount these vertically on the wall just behind the screens.

but no mention of whether they are VESA
    I could be wrong but I think these are to fix it to the monitor stand.

Thank Post
    Asus EEE Top ETP1602?

Thank Post
    ... otherwise, the Dell USFF jobbies have a wall mounting bracket option. You get one bit for the main unit, another for the power supply. Monitor can be wall mounted separately using standard VESA plates.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by meastaugh1 View Post
    The HP USDT cases can be screwed to the wall and have a monitor screwed into them by using a quick release bracket.
    Have you got any more info on these?
    The only HP USDT wall mount I have found was for the DC7100.
    The current USDT is a DC7800 and I haven't found any mention of a wall bracket (and I have yet to confirm whether a monitor will bolt on to the case of the DC7800)

Thank Post
    There's always this Jack PC Thin Client by Chip PC Technologies
    Lenovo (IBM) do a stand onto which you can mount any VESA monitor, and their specific base unit, although I can't find it ATM.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast