+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Hardware Thread, STONE or DELL Computers in Technical; I dont disagree with the Dell option, I have to look at what I can get for the budget I ...
    Thank Post

Re: STONE or DELL Computers

I dont disagree with the Dell option, I have to look at what I can get for the budget I have and to keep a rolling replacment of computers going I can't justify Dell or HP when I need to replace volumes of PC's

I would rather save money on the workstations and invest in our infrastructure and Servers (which are all Dell)

Previous to Stone we used DAN PC's both of which have served us well so I dont think it is as big a compromise to us as it may be to others.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Well judging from the website they only sell to Public sectors schools/colleges/unis/lea etc.. So no point in sending them to a PC mag and saying review this for us but remember 99% of your readership can't buy from us lol!

Never had any problems with Stone Computers after sales or pre. Might be an account manager thing?

Wes

Thank Post

How can anyone compare STONE and DELL? Dell are probably the largest PC manufacturer on the planet with millions of units installed in all sorts or businesses. Have you noticed how many Dells appear on TV???

I have been working with Dell PCs since they fist started up in the UK in 1987 (Yes I am that old!!) I have rarely had any real problems with the kit, found it reliable and long lived. Some of our Dell GX110 PCs are 5 years old and although a bit slow these days and being phased out, still boot every time.

We have bought over 300 Dells in the past 3 or 4 years, have had no DOAs and any problems have been sorted quickly and efficiently. I would recommend them to anyone.

We also have Dell Servers which have also proved reliable and stable.

We do have some minor concerns over Dell's business practices of late but they seem to be pushing to take the education market by storm.
    But the kit has always been excellent.

We also have some experience of dealing with those who seem to think it better to build your own PCs. Our Junior school has 22 PCs build by a freelance technician that have had problems with PSUs blowing up (literally!). We just cannot get anyone to take responsibility for the failures and have a number of unusable machines. The case manufacturer wants us to disassemble all the PCs and send back the cases for checking. You wouldn't have this problem with a branded PC. There is also the problem of compatibility. Although much better than it was, there is still the chance that the motherboard won't like the sound card for instance. Who then sorts the problem. Branded PCs go through many hours of testing that we simply do not have the time to do.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,171 Times in 994 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by darkest_star
    I dont disagree with the Dell option, I have to look at what I can get for the budget I have and to keep a rolling replacment of computers going I can't justify Dell or HP when I need to replace volumes of PC's

I would rather save money on the workstations and invest in our infrastructure and Servers (which are all Dell)

Previous to Stone we used DAN PC's both of which have served us well so I dont think it is as big a compromise to us as it may be to others.
    Didn't DAN turn into Stone? I get very nervouse about a company that sell soley to organsations who tie themselves into one supplier. It gets my backhander-senses tingling, especially when you can do better elsewhere.

Thank Post

[quote="Dos_Box
    Didn't DAN turn into Stone? I get very nervouse about a company that sell soley to organsations who tie themselves into one supplier. It gets my backhander-senses tingling, especially when you can do better elsewhere.[/quote]

I thought Omega turned into Stone or did Dan brand it's kit with that logo?
    Do you mean that Stone only sell to organisations who tie themselves in too one supplier?

We have a lot of Stone machines here, but we also have Dells and NS Optimum PC's ... To be honest they've all been just as good as one another were the hardware is concerned as they all only use intel parts. I've had a the odd problem with all companys equipment as i'd expect with general wear and tear, but out of all the companies i've dealt with Stones support is the best and i think their end product is very good too.

Even if i wasn't on a tight budget like i am i'd still think of Stone Computers as one of the top on my list to get my equipment from based mainly on the service you get.

Thank Post

I dont want to get into a flame on this But I I dont take backhanders

my opinion differs, the needs of our school are well served even without everyone wearing Dell badges. We look at ALL options each time we make a paurchase

last time we bought Stone They won the bid, this time we source from 3 builders + Dell & HP same as we did last time if Stone deliver then they will win if not someone else will

If we had had a bad expreince with Stone we would not use them again

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,171 Times in 994 Posts
    Blog Entries

Sorry, I was not referring to anyone on this forum, mearky from conversations \I have had in the past from others. Usually in whispered tones in darkend rooms. I just find Stone to ba an anomaly. They are successful, and often huge organisations buy soley from them for their IT procurement. I find this a little suspect. That is all.

Thank Post
    been using stone now for 4 years and have nothing but goods words to say.
    great build quality
    very competitive
    5 year waranty on our 50 pcs purchased last year.
    next day turn around.

would highly recommend on our experience with this company.

Thank Post
    We've used stone for a couple of years now and i've been very impressed with their service and support. They generally supply good PC's in tough cases which is exactly what we need. They can be a bit pricey but for that you get a 5 year next day warrenty on their workstations.

JINX :-), you just beat me to it.

We also use Dell but i've found they have a nasty habit of turning up at silly times, expecially in the hols even when you say 'we will not be here after 4' they still ring saying "I'll be there at 4.30" grrrr.
    Last edited by cookie_monster; 7th March 2008 at 08:44 AM.

Unvalidated User
    Thank Post
    I must be mad maybe I should milk the school budget
    I used to build them, now they do it for 30 quid. Still I spec them up exactly (the mainboard everything) and do all the s/w and h/w support. Is getting harder with the amount of machines we have got to (300ish).
    Still can add onsite (i think) or send it back within a year, never do though more likely chat about the problem and get the faulty bits sent to me in post. Reliable machines just a few here and there and the older ones have seen better days. I use CCL btw.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123