+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Hardware Thread, STONE or DELL Computers in Technical; Originally Posted by Dos_Box I don't like Stone because beige annoys me. The last stones I bought were silver and ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,050 Times in 919 Posts

Re: STONE or DELL Computers

Quote Originally Posted by Dos_Box
    I don't like Stone because beige annoys me.
    The last stones I bought were silver and black actually

Silver and black annoys me too.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

We went right off Stone when they provided us with an AV install a few years back. First of all, one of the whiteboards died. They gave us the number for their distos and told us to sort it ourselves. Then the projectors they supplied started blowing their bulbs prematurely. One actually exploded inside the projector. Again, they gave us the runaround, gave us Infocus' number and told us to sort it.

Infocus eventually agreed to replace the projectors with the same model and gave us some replacement lamps. The replacements also blew their bulbs within 300 hours. We got back onto Stone and after several letters to the MD from our headmaster asking for the projectors to be replaced with another brand. After a LOT of pressure they offered a later model of the projector. We agreed on the condition that should they blow again, they replace them with another brand.

Well, guess what. After 300 hours both blew their bulbs. This time they blamed it on the school's power supply (handily ignoring the other 6 projectors installed in that block alone, none of which prematurely blew the bulb), saying we were overvolting them and refused to replace them. They offered to supply us with some power conditioners but refused to supply new lamps. We agreed to the power conditioners and installed them. Then low and behold they started blowing bulbs after 300 hours again. At that point we were completely fracked off and just went out and bought a pair of NEC projectors from Probrand. So far, they've done 450 hours and counting.

Stone have not seen a penny from us since this debacle. They have lost well over £40000 of business. Which is a shame because the PCs they supplied us were good and reliable and the support on them was good.

The moral of the story is, avoid Infocus like the plague and don't use Stone for your AV installs.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,781 Times in 1,105 Posts
    Blog Entries

They do black as well you know ... in fact that is the only colour we buy from them since it hides the dirt better.

In my last place the Principal hated black ... thought it was too oppressive and dismal ... until he saw the price saving of buying black from Dell ... he then changed his mind.

Then he saw the saving we got a few months later with beige from Stone ... and when we bought them in black (since they had just started the black cases) he was a little peeved but we just wanted to keep a common theme around the school ;-)

Yep ... he didn't like me after that ... (and still doesn't)

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries

Just FYI but we just got a spam email (as in we did not sign up for this stuff) from stone. This normally would be bad enough for us not to talk to them (we will not buy from cold calls/spam ever) but it gets worse.
    They included the email recipients from the list so if anyone wants a spam list, say thanks to stone computers for that one.
    Good to know your details are safe

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroHour
    They included the email recipients from the list so if anyone wants a spam list, say thanks to stone computers for that one.
    Good to know your details are safe
    That is one of my pet peeves. I take the time to send a guide to the BCC function of their email client. Hopefully some others do the same and the message sticks

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,314 Times in 798 Posts
    Blog Entries

Its pretty disgraceful to give a list out like that. We have tons of peoples addresses now and we have NEVER bought anything from stone, nor have we had a quote.
    Anyone want to see if they on it?

Thank Post

I have 300 stone samsung laptops, they are pretty good actually with a great next day service and 3 years battery warranty yes THREE YEARS BATTERY WARRANTY!

We also had 17 desktop PC's from stone to kit out our music tech department but we had 3 DOA's out of the 17, and thought they were over priced too so we wont be buying stone desktops again.

Now we design our own boxes and have them built and shipped by compubits with a 3 year onsite warranty.

The difference is that stones PC's are built on a production line by production line operatives, compubits boxes are built by Techies in a workshop - hence less DOA's

Thank Post

I have a personal dislike of all things Dell....no real sane reason for it

Thank Post

I have a dislike for all Branded Desktops, component builds is where it's at and cheaper too.

Thank Post

We have bought Stone PC's for the last 3 years as with a limited budget we can't afford to buy branded pc's (they are a lot cheaper than Dell, website price is guide only).

they come in black

they were shipped to our spec as and when we needed them

Pre imaged

they have a 3yr NBD warranty

all Intel boards

We have had very few problems and as these workstations are in constant classroom abuse (sorry use) thats very good

perhaps Dell is a better build quality but at £50 to 75 per unit more we just cant justify it when buying 100+ units

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by darkest_star
    perhaps Dell is a better build quality but at £50 to 75 per unit more we just cant justify it when buying 100+ units
    Have you phoned them? the website guide is way inflated compared with what they will do, and bulk orders seriously get them slashing margins.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by E1uSiV3
    Quote Originally Posted by darkest_star
    Have you phoned them? the website guide is way inflated compared with what they will do, and bulk orders seriously get them slashing margins.
    Agreed. Dell will slash their wrists to sell to you and undercut any quote you get in my experience. I have been very impressed with Dell kit in recent years, and have not as yet been let down by them.

Thank Post

No problems with Dell for us- and with a three year on-site (NBD) hardware warranty we can't complain at all. It means less of a support burden for us (as far as hardware replacement is concerned) and standardisation of desktop hardware. I am also in the process of completing some Dell PowerEdge training that means I will be better qualified to understand and implement their IT Assistant software and tools...not bad at all.

We just ordered 60 new machines from Dell- 30 of them dual core with 17" flat panel monitors for a little over £500 a piece and 30 with CRT (170L) and they cost £400 each after some nice woman at Dell slashed another £40 off each for us :-)

I like them.

Thank Post

That margin is with Dell shashing the price

Stone Workstation with 17in crt = £329 or £389 with tft

our best price from Dell was over the £400 mark

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,162 Times in 987 Posts
    Blog Entries

Ask yourself this. Why do Stone never give PCs' to magazines or other review bodies for assesment? At least with Dell you can look up what you are about to purchase and it is not an unknown quantity from what is basically a corporate box-shifter.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast