+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Updating PC suites - what kit should I buy? in Technical; Hi, I'm looking at convincing my school to upgrade the ICT suites, which will use the usual office software & ...

Thank Post

Updating PC suites - what kit should I buy?

Hi,

I'm looking at convincing my school to upgrade the ICT suites, which will use the usual office software & photoshop and was wondering any suggestions on kit? I have some ideas but would like to know if anyone can think of something that I haven't.

Thank Post
    Telling us what you've thought of will save on repeated efforts and probably get you more of a brain storm effect.

What spec do you currently have, how many etc?

Thank Post
    I am a total HP convert these days. I am getting unbelievable pricing these days on their equipment and if you can tie it in with their rebate scheme, even better!
    If you want a number of a very good HP reseller let me know. I have yet to have anyone beat him on HP prices (apart from printers).

Thank Post
    You could talk to SCL who sponsor this forum. They have supplied to a number of members who have been delighted with their service.

I suspect you will be hearing from before you are very much older

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinclair_Spectrum_16K View Post
    I'm looking at convincing my school to upgrade the ICT suites, which will use the usual office software & photoshop and was wondering any suggestions on kit?
    See this thread for a couple of images of rooms full of SCL's standard desktops and snazzy all-in-one machines:

New Suite.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    As a rule I usually go for the highest spec the school can afford in IT suites(without any gamer extras) to ensure that pupils spend more time learning than waiting for application X to load. Hopefully when they come up for replacement the spec is still high enough to be used elsewhere - it makes putting forward a case for renewal so much easier when you can say that X number of classrooms will recieve upgrades as well as the suite being upgraded.

As a rule I always try and set an expiry date on IT suites as soon as they're put in place, theres nothing worse than getting to a point where your having to firefight to keep enough pc's working and having teachers/students complaining that they're too slow.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
    I am a total HP convert these days. I am getting unbelievable pricing these days on their equipment and if you can tie it in with their rebate scheme, even better!
    If you want a number of a very good HP reseller let me know. I have yet to have anyone beat him on HP prices (apart from printers).
    next time your looking at purchasing HP equipment give us a chance to quote and I think you might be pleasently suprised and even with printers.

Thank Post
    Hi Sinclair_Spectrum_16K

I'd like the opportunity to discuss this with you further if that is ok? You can see from other members that we supply top quality PCs at great prices and offer a very good service.

If you are happy to discuss your requirements with me then please send me a PM or email me here

Many thanks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by CPLTD View Post
    next time your looking at purchasing HP equipment give us a chance to quote and I think you might be pleasently suprised and even with printers.
    I will bear it in mind next time as long as you dont get dont have the reaction that some suppliers have had when quoting against them lol. Talk about spitting the dummy out. Ps they supply resellers as well so that gives you an idea of the pricing.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH View Post
    I will bear it in mind next time as long as you dont get dont have the reaction that some suppliers have had when quoting against them lol. Talk about spitting the dummy out. Ps they supply resellers as well so that gives you an idea of the pricing.
    LOL never spit our dummy out , hey we cant win them all, I would say if they supply re-sellers it must be the likes of misco and if so we KNOW we can beat there pricing on HP equipment , a bold statement i know lol

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jamman960 View Post
    Hopefully when they come up for replacement the spec is still high enough to be used elsewhere - it makes putting forward a case for renewal so much easier when you can say that X number of classrooms will recieve upgrades as well as the suite being upgraded.
    Ooh, good point - might want to include in your upgrade plan what happens to the stuff in the IT suites being replaced. With our new room upgrade I'm hoping to make a whole language lab with the screens from the computers being replaced (multi-workstations machines using either NComputing cards or Userful software, haven't decided yet), get four workstations up in our primary department and half a dozen workstations for science. Older machines also make fine thin clients, of course. Regarding HP printers, we have a "refurbished" 4600DTN that's working just fine, cost us £300.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post

Smile

Hi,
    I just been told there may be some money in the kitty (before the end of the financial year) to do all 4 ict suites (approx. 120 machines). Of course I would pefer someone like dell/ Hp with their 3 year warranty. But what about CPUs should I go for Core2Duo or Quad core? I think we will stick with XP though, too much school software form other departments are still XP based! How much should we spend on a single machine? What should I be aiming at for a very good spec that will be future proof for the next 4 years?

Thank Post
    Hi again!

We offer a 5 year warranty as standard on our PCs.

With regards CPU, I don't think you need to go as high as a quad core CPU to be honest. Something like a Core 2 Duo E7300 would suffice I would say but maybe I can send you a couple of options? One using a Core 2 Duo and one based on Core 2 Quads?

Anyway, let me know

Regards

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinclair_Spectrum_16K View Post
    But what about CPUs should I go for Core2Duo or Quad core?
    I'm thinking of running a whole darned computer suite off a single quad-core processor, so I should think Core2Duo should be fine. If you want future-proof, get 4GB of RAM per machine, that'll keep them going for a few more years. Spending a bit more money on the graphics card is probably worth while to get something that will be reasonably fast and run all the fancy desktop effects you get with Windows Vista and Ubuntu these days.

Don't worry about the size of the harddrive, 80GB is more than enough, you'll be using the storage on your servers anyway. Don't forget the servers, by the way - don't make the mistake of assuming that your 4 rooms of machines will all work just because the look like your computer at home, you'll need suitable server-based stuff to manage them all and provide storage space.

What are you doing with your old machines and screens?

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Hi,

I have been told to get a quote for one suite and go on from there. Usually with the old machines we recycle them down to admin/ teacher computers depending on how good they are (all pentium 4s). I also need to look at re-wiring for two ICT rooms so looking for a company to do it all together. Can anyone recommend companies that will do the hardware, software and re-wire the suites?

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast