+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Cable tampering in Technical; Strip bits of the insulation off the power cable. That'll stop them fiddling with the back of the PCs....

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

Re: Cable tampering

Strip bits of the insulation off the power cable. That'll stop them fiddling with the back of the PCs.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by indiegirl
    I've just ordered a £3.50 dummy camera (eBay!) with motion sensor and flashing LED to put in one of the other rooms. If they think they're being watched... they might not do it.... we'll see....
    Hmm, our kids didn't even notice the camera until the evidence was used against a few culprits. (high ceiling + beige camera + beige wall).

Maybe an especially flashy led will make it stand out.

If anyone finds any of those socketed beach-ball sized trackballs you find in computer kiosks in shopping centres, I want some. That'll stop em.

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisH
    My other pet hate is having to put the keys back in the right places after some comedian has spelt a swear word out or something or I have to sort "a password problem" because some of the keys are the wrong way round.
    Try these http://www.daskeyboard.com/
    Shame they are so expensive; I'd love to have these in the classrooms. My keyboard at home is very nearly like them, but it is very old!

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by unixman
    Try these http://www.daskeyboard.com/
    Shame they are so expensive; I'd love to have these in the classrooms. My keyboard at home is very nearly like them, but it is very old!
    And how exactly are you meant to know what your're typing. Do you have to use The Force

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,614 Times in 1,444 Posts

Blank Keys to Type up to 100% Faster
    Like on a piano, since there are no keys to look at when typing, your brain will quickly adapt and memorize the key positions. Within a few short weeks users increase their typing accuracy and find themselves typing up to 100% faster.
    Apparently

Ben

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by pete
    If anyone finds any of those socketed beach-ball sized trackballs you find in computer kiosks in shopping centres, I want some. That'll stop em.
    I did find some of them in my search... about £12 a go though and that was for the dummy ones...

(that was via Google)

Thank Post

[quote="plexer"]
    Blank Keys to Type up to 100% Faster
    Like on a piano, since there are no keys to look at when typing, your brain will quickly adapt and memorize the key positions. Within a few short weeks users increase their typing accuracy and find themselves typing up to 100% faster.
    ...... so why not just paint over the keys on an ordinary keyboard??? Much cheaper and same effect!!!!!

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by unixman
    And how exactly are you meant to know what your're typing. Do you have to use The Force
    No, you're meant to know how to touch type :P

Seriously, though, how many of us here are able to touch type properly without cheating and peeping at the keys?

I'm actually pretty good at it now, but I put that down to doing so much typing writing 3,000 word essays for my degree!

Thank Post
    Blog Entries

I need to look at the keyboard to get my bearings when I start but I can generally touch type OK.

I learnt to type quickly when I was a telesales rep for a certain computer mail order company. You have to learn to type quickly under those circumstances otherwise you can't keep up with the customer

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by crc-ict
    I'm actually pretty good at it now, but I put that down to doing so much typing writing 3,000 word essays for my degree!
    Didn't your essays involve the correct attribution of quotes :P
    UnixMan indeed!

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by indiegirl
    I did find some of them in my search... about £12 a go though and that was for the dummy ones...

(that was via Google)
    I think you think I mean dome cameras? I mean a computer trackball (a bit bigger than a cricket ball*) that's recessed into a metal plate alongside vandal-proof switches acting as mouse buttons. You used to find them in shopping centres (early 90's?) that were too pikey to use touchscreens.

However.........

*ponders the usefulness of having an Imperial interrogation droid lookalike attached to the ceiling*

*admittedly "beachball" was a bit of an exaggeration.

Thank Post

I can't touchtype in the litteral sence of index left finger rests on f or g or whatever it is, but I can type without looking at a keyboard that I'm familiar with, and luckily at school, most of the keyboards are the same.

But as soon as i hit an unfamiliar keyboard I need to get my bearings again, much the same as norphy said.

Chris

Thank Post

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisC
    But as soon as i hit an unfamiliar keyboard I need to get my bearings again, much the same as norphy said.
    Oh the fun of working on student's laptops when you find that they have French or German layouts. Fine if you hunt 'n' peck, but if you type... 8O

Thank Post

lol, can imagine the sorta lines you get out of that!

well, if you type
    "hello, how are you?"
    i guess on a french layout it would come out as
    "bonjour, comment allez-vous ?"

I am aware that it wouldn't but it sounded funny in my mind...

Chris

Thank Post

We've had the cable tampering issue for a long time.
    Mice/keyboards unplugged, stolen, mouse balls pinched, keys ripped out, etc.
    We're now swapping over to optical mice and cable tying everything - kids have started ripping mice out by force and snapping cables.
    We are also geting cameras throughout school... however, only a couple of classrooms are getting them (and that was a struggle due to leftie teachers wittering on about being watched and judged... surely only the crap teachers would worry about that if it were to happen!!!)
    Unfortunately the same rooms seem to get "done" and it seems to be that teachers just don't care - rooms that staff are given responsibility over tend to fare better, but the teachers who do look after the rooms aren't in all the time or teach elsewhere at times, so the rooms do occasionally suffer.
    The problems are also confounded by the fact that there is an open school policy forced on us - i'm gradually trying to wear them down on that so that kids are only in classrooms for lessons... and only when a teacher is present.

Most of the problems would also be solved if the government returned to the good old days where teachers could discipline kids and the kids had no rights - the "little darlings" can get away with anything these days and "joke" staff called Behavioural Support merely offer the junior thugs a "coffee and a talk"

At the end of the day, though, the only solution to prevention of damage to IT equipment is discipline, something sadly lacking in the whole of society. Until this changes, we are just going to have to keep replacing equipment and costing the school money (thankfully, not my department, as we now charge every department for any replacement IT equipment)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast