+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, CRT Monitor attached to UPS, good idea? in Technical; During a recent power outage it was noted that while both our servers were connected to an APC 1000 UPS, ...

Thank Post

CRT Monitor attached to UPS, good idea?

During a recent power outage it was noted that while both our servers were connected to an APC 1000 UPS, our KVM'd monitor was not, meaning the servers could not be shut down. Power was restored before the UPS ran out of juice but now I want to add the monitor to the UPS.

I spoke to a friend of mine about this and he said that it wasn't the best idea to add CRT's to a UPS as they can cause spikes and surges themselves!?!

Is my friend right or am I ok to add my monitor to the UPS?

Cheers in advance!

Thank Post
    Even a 15" crt can easily overload a 1kv UPS when it turns on (although briefly)

If it's on battery power, then the ups will immediately turn off to protect the battery.

So, no, not a good idea

3. Thanks to DMcCoy from:

PrimaryTech (19th October 2008)

Thank Post
    Looks like it's hands out for a TFT/LCD then

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    what about a tft?

IVe got a small 15" tft plugged into my ups...

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    Even a 15" crt can easily overload a 1kv UPS when it turns on (although briefly)

If it's on battery power, then the ups will immediately turn off to protect the battery.

So, no, not a good idea
    presumably you mean with other servers and equipment connected to a 1kva UPS......i don't see how the inrush current for the CRT on it's own would overload a 1kva ups. It used to be quite common for people at home to connect their PC's, printers and CRT to a small 500va ups.

ALso, not sure what the thread starter means by a CRT creating spikes and surges, surey PDU's and UPS protecting equipment does the necessary power conditioning of 'dirty power' coming from the building leccy supply. I always thought the main issue with the equipment load is the inrush current required for powering up a device which can overload a UPS and it's batteries albeit momentarily.

Thank Post
    tft should be fine, although it will still use quite a lot of power, but shouldn't overload the ups when it powers on.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by torledo View Post
    presumably you mean with other servers and equipment connected to a 1kva UPS......i don't see how the inrush current for the CRT on it's own would overload a 1kva ups. It used to be quite common for people at home to connect their PC's, printers and CRT to a small 500va ups.

ALso, not sure what the thread starter means by a CRT creating spikes and surges, surey PDU's and UPS protecting equipment does the necessary power conditioning of 'dirty power' coming from the building leccy supply. I always thought the main issue with the equipment load is the inrush current required for powering up a device which can overload a UPS and it's batteries albeit momentarily.
    I have a 1000VA here, with the server using less than 15% of the capacity. I had an old 15" crt that would cause the ups to overload briefly when it turned on. I found out it turned the ups off when overloading on battery after the power failure pop up turned the monitor on, turning the ups and server off instantly.

This also occurs when bringing the monitor out of standby for a crt.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DMcCoy View Post
    I have a 1000VA here, with the server using less than 15% of the capacity. I had an old 15" crt that would cause the ups to overload briefly when it turned on. I found out it turned the ups off when overloading on battery after the power failure pop up turned the monitor on, turning the ups and server off instantly.

This also occurs when bringing the monitor out of standby for a crt.
    I'll typically take it out of standby at least 10 times every day, so I think a tft looks like a better option.

(Currently there are 2 Viglen Servers connected to the UPS)

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,313 Times in 1,789 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by PrimaryTech View Post
    I'll typically take it out of standby at least 10 times every day, so I think a tft looks like a better option.

(Currently there are 2 Viglen Servers connected to the UPS)
    On an unrelated note - why do you use it so much? I only ever turn on the screen for our servers when there is a big emergency... Everything else is done remotely.

Thank Post
    Both servers are in the ICT suite where I spend the majority of my time, so I tend to go direct to them instead of via MSTSC.

I use the servers throughout the day to check on backups, run scripts, that sort of thing...

Thank Post
    We were in this situation at one point. Our KVM wouldn't work with an LCD monitor (weird I know) so we just replaced it with a new KVM and a rackmount pull out LCD/keyboard/mouse thing.

Thank Post
    During a recent power outage it was noted that while both our servers were connected to an APC 1000 UPS, our KVM'd monitor was not, meaning the servers could not be shut down
    Configure the Power Button to Shut Down when pressed?

Windows key > "U" > Enter? (for XP)
    Windows key > "U" > "S"> tab > tab > Enter comment > Enter? (for Server 2003)

Remoting in?

There are many ways to shut down the system without needing the see the screen, surely? Not meaning to be condesending here, just making some suggestions!

Thank Post
    To be honest you need to revise your UPS strategy as an APC 1000 between two servers and a monitor is going to give you less than 10 mins of runtime, probably more like 5 minutes! Also you should have both your servers connected to the UPS by serial leads so that the UPS software will automatically shut the servers down.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread