+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Dell ultra small thingies in Technical; Do Dell have a model that bolts to the back of the monitor? I've been told they do and that ...

Thank Post

Dell ultra small thingies

Do Dell have a model that bolts to the back of the monitor? I've been told they do and that we should get a quote but I've searched their site and I can't see anything.

Thank Post
    Its the optiplex 755 usff that you want, then one of the monitor options in an all in one design, that has fixings to attach the pc to the back.

Steve

3. Thanks to steveg from:

laserblazer (20th October 2008)

Thank Post
    Erm.. you may want to do something about that title as "Jobbies" can mean something else from where I come from...

Thank Post
    We were looking at these, but then realised we can get All-In-One machines that are a better specification for less money from a couple of places. They are a much neater solution, only need a single power plug per machine, and no external power box like the USFF dells have which means less cabling involved. They also take pretty standard componants unlike the USFF Dells, so no real worries about replacing bits when the warranties run out.

Mike.

Thank Post
    Interesting Maniac. Thanks for that. I've looked at all in one systems but they were more expensive. Perhaps I need pointing in the right direction.

Thank Post
    Have a look at the sponsor of this section of the forum, SCL online, they do a good range of all in one PCs. I havn't personally used them (yet) but will be calling soon for a quote. Stone computers also do all-in-ones which use the same chassis as the ones from SCL, but I think SCL's prices are slightly cheaper.

I have an evaluation unit from Stone at the moment (was delivered today) and it seems very sturdy although they are a little top heavy, but we plan to use industrial strength velcro to attach them to the worktop to stop the kids moving them around or knocking them over. (has anyone else done this, and does it work?)

Mike

Thank Post
    We use a large number of the usff dells - not just as all in one's but as wall mounted pc's to drive the whiteboards,plasmas etc. I agree that true all in one solutions offer a tidier solution on the desk but with the usff you can easily swap boxes/monitors around.

Thank Post

All-in-one

we bought first all-in-ones 5 years ago but after 2 years we lost some monitors. (no easy replacement as strange connectors)so ended of machine.Then moved to the dell and in 2 1/2 years have had one power supply fail and 2 dead monitors (DOA) but dell have new one their next day and easy to fit.So i would always go for this approach as it uses standard parts unlike some of the the cheaper all-in-ones about there.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,345 Times in 731 Posts
    I'm not so sure abouth the cost. These can be had with DC Processor/2GB/80GB/DVD-RW/XP PRO/ the 17" all-in-one monitor + 5Y NBD warranty for under £450.00 even less if you are buying in larger numbers.

Also with the monitor/base unit being separate it make changing a faulty monitor a 5 min job, unllke the complete all-in-ones.

Thank Post
    SCL did quote and were very helpful. However, it seems that prices have shot up in the last few months and their all in one computer was a bit more than we can afford.

A couple of Governors went to look at the Dell machines in another school and said they were pretty similar to the HP DC7900 in appearance. I'm still waiting for the Dell pricing.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    I'm still waiting for the Dell pricing.
    We went for the SCL all-in-one machines in the end, although we did consider the Dells. The Dell sales team simply weren't as helpful - they can read catalogue numbers and descriptions out at you on the phone, but that's about it. SCL actually know their stuff. Also, we've just waited ages for delivery of a single PC from Dell, they seem to be taking a long time to do stuff at the moment.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Hong ago was that David? The Dell quote is coming from our LEA who have a bulk purchasing scheme.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by laserblazer View Post
    Hong ago was that David? The Dell quote is coming from our LEA who have a bulk purchasing scheme.
    You mean how long ago did we order the Dell machine? Sorry, can't remember the exact date, but it was something like three of four weeks ago - actually, the machine finally turned up on Friday.

We bought the SCL all-in-one machines at the start of the summer, although I understand prices might have gone up since then.

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by imiddleton25 View Post
    we bought first all-in-ones 5 years ago but after 2 years we lost some monitors. (no easy replacement as strange connectors)so ended of machine.Then moved to the dell and in 2 1/2 years have had one power supply fail and 2 dead monitors (DOA) but dell have new one their next day and easy to fit.So i would always go for this approach as it uses standard parts unlike some of the the cheaper all-in-ones about there.
    To be fair, I think LCD screen technology has moved on a long way in 5 years, I would expect even the cheaper screens used in the all in ones to be more reliable these days. It is noteable however that both stone and SCL only offer a 1 year warranty on the screen and chassis of their all in one machines.

Mike.

Thank Post
    I found what I was looking for and got an on-line quote for £636.00, which is way over. I've phoned them for a better price based on 70 computers. Be interesting to see if they can shave off £160

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread