+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Hardware Thread, Laptop/Smartboard display issue in Technical; Originally Posted by Michael It could well be the VGA port is faulty then. I think realistically your only solution ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,680 Times in 2,273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    It could well be the VGA port is faulty then. I think realistically your only solution would be to buy a USB to VGA adapter.
    Or a port replicator / docking station which would give it full accelerated graphics back again. I don't think that USB based adapters offer propper acceleration and so they don't play video well/at all depending on quality. It does sound like the port on the laptop is fried though.

The docking station would bypass the external VGA port totally and use the integrated one on the docking station instead, looks like you also get DVI along with the usual complement of other ports:

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Original-DELL-Latitude-Inspiron-Replicator/dp/B00080O512]Amazon.com: Original DELL Latitude / Inspiron - D/Port Advanced Port Replicator for Dell Laptops.: Electronics[/ame]
    Dell Latitude D505 Docking Station

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    At 199 Witch may as well go and buy a new laptop for that kind of money! I don't see why the USB to VGA wouldn't give full acceleration, however I suppose it depends how good the drivers are. You'd most likely need a USB 2.0 port too.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,680 Times in 2,273 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    At 199 Witch may as well go and buy a new laptop for that kind of money! I don't see why the USB to VGA wouldn't give full acceleration, however I suppose it depends how good the drivers are. You'd most likely need a USB 2.0 port too.
    Or 90 from here Dell Latitude D810 Keyboards, Port Replicators and more

The USB bus has rubbish latency and practicly no bandwidth compared to an internal slot hence the difficulty with time sensitive stuff like video. I don't know how much laptops cost over there and I didn't see any comparitive sources or prices for a USB solution so I think my suggestion was and still is valid. Comparitivly over here a new teacher laptop would cost arount $1600 (540) so at 1/6th the cost the replicator could still have been a more practical solution than a whole new laptop depending on how new the original was.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    I agree internal bandwidth would always be better/faster. Cheap laptops do start from around 199; which is typically the kind of prices some schools pay, but of course it really does depend on the exact requirements.

I had a quick search and found this. It supports upto 1360 x 768, which is HD resolution using USB 2.0 so it can't be too bad

Thank Post
    Can you get the BIOS screens to display on a normal bog standard monitor, pluged into the laptop?

Thank Post

Alternative solution

A generic USB-VGA adaptor is about 60 (US$100)

Alternatively, what I've found is that any powered VGA splitter or booster device works perfectly, so for a cheap solution, try something like this: BELKIN OMNIVIEW VGA SIGNAL BOOSTER UK*::*Audio/Visual Cables*::*Cables*::*Custom computer, custom built pc, computer components, computer parts, CISS Ink System, Continuous Ink Systems for 38 (US$56)

We have over 50 teacher laptops, which all work fine in every room, except for the Dell D505s in specific rooms. These particular rooms have die-cast aluminum boxes with a VGA extensions cable fixed into it. The other rooms, which all work fine with the D505s, have a VGA D-Sub socket mounted on a faceplate, with a soldered cable to the projector.
    Eliminating the room's built-in VGA extension cable by connecting the laptop directly to the projector works fine.

ALL laptops in the school are set to 1024x768 @ 32bit 70Hz, so it is NOT a refresh rate/resolution issue.

We do also have some Dell laptops with VGA ports which don't make proper contact with the motherboard. These have now mostly been fixed, by stripping the laptop down and pushing the VGA port pins back down onto the PCB with a hot soldering iron. (Don't use any solder on the iron, otherwise it will bridge across pins shorting them out, which is very difficult to remove)
    Last edited by Techmut; 12th March 2009 at 11:59 AM.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,375 Times in 1,672 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Techmut View Post
    A generic USB-VGA adaptor is about 60 (US$100)

Alternatively, what I've found is that any powered VGA splitter or booster device works perfectly, so for a cheap solution, try something like this: BELKIN OMNIVIEW VGA SIGNAL BOOSTER UK*::*Audio/Visual Cables*::*Cables*::*Custom computer, custom built pc, computer components, computer parts, CISS Ink System, Continuous Ink Systems for 38 (US$56)

We have over 50 teacher laptops, which all work fine in every room, except for the Dell D505s in specific rooms. These particular rooms have die-cast aluminum boxes with a VGA extensions cable fixed into it. The other rooms, which all work fine with the D505s, have a VGA D-Sub socket mounted on a faceplate, with a soldered cable to the projector.
    Eliminating the room's built-in VGA extension cable by connecting the laptop directly to the projector works fine.

ALL laptops in the school are set to 1024x768 @ 32bit 70Hz, so it is NOT a refresh rate/resolution issue.

We do also have some Dell laptops with VGA ports which don't make proper contact with the motherboard. These have now mostly been fixed, by stripping the laptop down and pushing the VGA port pins back down onto the PCB with a hot soldering iron. (Don't use any solder on the iron, otherwise it will bridge across pins shorting them out, which is very difficult to remove)
    Thats really interesting - thanks -

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12