+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Linksys AM200 - invalid IP fubar in Technical; Just a small note for anyone who's looking to use an ADSL modem for their broadband connection and needs to ...
    Thank Post

Linksys AM200 - invalid IP fubar

Just a small note for anyone who's looking to use an ADSL modem for their broadband connection and needs to use it with a static IP (like Be* Broadband).

DO NOT get a Linksys AM200 Annex A modem..

It seems that despite it being reported back in January of this year that nobody has corrected the issue of IP's being reported as invalid if the first IP block doesn't have 3 digits in it.

Yup... an IP of 10.x.x.x will not work whereas something like 192.x.x.x will be accepted. Same with the gateway and DNS settings.

Strikes me this n00b error extreme and just highlights why I avoid Linksys like the plague.. Idiots!

Thank Post
    I have 2 of these flashing happily away in bridged mode connected to a Vigor dual WAN router - my 2 static IPs are 81.178.x.x and 81.179.x.x (yes, Pipex god help me). Am I missing something? Give me a shout if you want to compare notes on setup.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by OutToLunch View Post
    I have 2 of these flashing happily away in bridged mode connected to a Vigor dual WAN router - my 2 static IPs are 81.178.x.x and 81.179.x.x (yes, Pipex god help me). Am I missing something? Give me a shout if you want to compare notes on setup.
    The problem is if you try to set the static IP in the actual modem interface rather than letting the router handle it...

Thank Post
    I thought that generally with UK static IPs you still left it configured as DHCP to the ISP on the modem/router? Mine are setup as PPPoE bridged now, but when I was using half bridged before they were also OK. What are you connecting the AM200 to?
    Last edited by OutToLunch; 9th October 2008 at 12:07 PM.

Thank Post
    I thought that generally with UK static IPs you still left it configured as DHCP to the ISP on the modem/router?
    For some reason the instructions from Be* are to setup the IP manually. It doesn't seem to use the DHCP for some reason.

Mine are setup as PPPoE bridged now, but when I was using half bridged before they were also OK. What are you connecting the AM200 to?
    Using a smoothwall express 3 box, as much because it gives me a chance to test things out as because I'm comfortable with it for security.

Thank Post
    Wierd. They'd be the only UK ISP I've come across that does that out of about 8 ISPs and 5+ different hardware brands I've supported... As a workaround, can't you put the AM200 into bridged mode then use PPPoE on Smoothwall's red interface?

Thank Post
    Wierd. They'd be the only UK ISP I've come across that does that out of about 8 ISPs and 5+ different hardware brands I've supported... As a workaround, can't you put the AM200 into bridged mode then use PPPoE on Smoothwall's red interface?
    To be honest I got the be* box working using a custom template someone posted on their forums so I'm a bit loath to play much more at the moment. I'll give it a shot when I've feeling a little less under the weather and bit more adventurous.

All I know is that linksys need to shoot the numpty who coded the firmware... I mean; how hard can it be to program a decent regex for a valid IP FFS!

Thank Post
    Got an AM200 working fine bridging a single IP here... using the BeBox for our multi IP line, so may avoid that one til they sort the firmware.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread