+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Hardware Thread, I am turning into a HP Wh*re in Technical; I just purchased 22 new pc's for one of our IT suites. I got a very nice price from the ...

Thank Post

I am turning into a HP Wh*re

I just purchased 22 new pc's for one of our IT suites.

I got a very nice price from the excellent people at Dabs for some DX2450's and Misco for some HP 19" TFT monitors. HP doesn;t half seem to have some excellent offeres at the moment, even if you have to jump through hoops for the cashback

Ordered via the web on Tuesday, monitors arrived Wednesday, computers arrived Thursday, new IT suite in situ on Friday and it looks very swish (well anything would compared to the old white CRT and Desktops we used to have.

One of the reason I am sticking with HP is their excellent warranty service, swapped a couple of hard drives and the replacements arrived within 48 hours.

Well done to Dabs and Misco.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,550 Times in 1,979 Posts
    Blog Entries
    That's why we moved over to HP. We've bought about 70 machines from them so far, and 4 servers and only had 1 laptop need repair - which was done within 72 hours.

Add in the build quality, and having an account manager at HP themselves who can help out should you need it and it's all good.

Thank Post
    Same here, moving from Dell, around 40 HP's now, with a new batch of 30 just in. The build quality is outstanding, and the specs are perfect for the price.

sdc
    Thank Post
    No problems with their workstations or laptops generally. However, we currently have a brand new server which hasn't worked since we got it - and we have next day support!! This hasn't been working since August...!

Thank Post
    165 HP PC's, 6 HP Servers, 3 HP Blade Servers in a HPC300 Bladesystem, 15 HP Procurve Switches, 24 HP Laser Printers.

All our laptops are Acer tho

HP is the way.

Our most recent PC's were 21 DC5800's bundled with a 22" Widescreen (Intel Core2Duo 3Ghz, 4Gb RAM, Gigabit Ethernet) and we got £3,150 cashback on them.
    Last edited by Psymon; 1st October 2008 at 09:53 AM.

Thank Post
    To be honest, we've moved away from HP and back to Dell. Had awful problems with the support and reliability. Yes when they are working they are quite nice pieces of kit, but when things go wrong their support is just awful and if you need to upscale a complaint you just end up banging your head against a brick wall and getting nowhere.
    YMMV

Thank Post
    Most of my experience of HP's support has been good, but the RTB warranty on the thin clients is very poor. They've taken months to repair/replace a unit on two separate ocassions.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Yep, we've moved towards buying HP kit (printers, PCs, laptops, servers, switches). I think it started off with the switches and the printers and went from there. :P

Not had experience of HP 'support' so can't comment on that. Only had one thing break (a Laserjet P2015n decided to break the plastic shaft of its pickup roller) but it was out of warranty.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
    My only gripe is the plastic shaft of the Laserjet pickup rollers. I must have replaced a dozen across various schools over the years!
    Where can you get those?

Thank Post
    HP Blades
    HP Rackmounts
    HP Racks
    HP UPS
    HP Switches
    & a HP video card (rebranded ASUS) in my workstation.

Dell/NEC workstations though.
    Im pleased with the Dells, they just work, and the support is excellent, next day fixing in 90% of cases.
    However, im more than happy with using HPs exclusivly for servers/switches.

Thank Post
    How do you guys get on with out of warranty spares for your HP PCs?

They had a reputation for being quite non standard a while back this is why I avoid Dell and HP.

Thank Post
    We have around 400 Dell desktop/laptops/servers and have had one out of warranty repair in the last year and only two in warranty reapairs. That compares to 250 white box machines using standard components and supplied by major manufacturers for which we have had 27 in warranty and 44 out of warranty repairs.
    HP have also been very reliable, but not as reliable as Dell and when something goes wrong they are a complete pain to deal with. They are also poor at getting equipment fixed correctly first time. We have had a laptop which has been sent off 4 times, plus three on-site engineer visits for the same fault and still doesn't work. I've asked for the laptop to be swapped out and they refused, even though it was only 8 months old. I vowed that would be the last computer I bought off them, same as with my experience with Acer a few years ago.

sdc
    Thank Post
    Just an update on our issue; we have two HP DL180 servers, one of which has been entirely replaced once. All three have exhibited the same fault - that is, they randomly reboot. We've had an HP engineer on site now for two days, and they have only just admitted that actually there is a problem with these servers. They have dodgy power backplanes! This generally means that under any form of loading - e.g. accessing files - then they'll see the minor increase in heat as a major problem and reboot! Great...!!

My advice is to steer clear of the DL180s. To be honest we have no issue with any other HP kit; unofficially, I've been told that these 180s are not actually HP manufactured - they're rebadged...
    Last edited by sdc; 3rd October 2008 at 01:04 PM. Reason: Typo

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,074 Times in 765 Posts
    Had a HP2015n DOA tried to get it replaced and as yet it has taken 2 weeks so far and no printer?
    Cannot fault the products it's their support centres that let them down.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,550 Times in 1,979 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bossman View Post
    Had a HP2015n DOA tried to get it replaced and as yet it has taken 2 weeks so far and no printer?
    Cannot fault the products it's their support centres that let them down.
    If it's DOA, why did you go via support? I return directly to the reseller in that situation, as it is their responsibility really - if you go through the support center, they will simply try to repair it rather than replace it as the reseller would do.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast