+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Help with home broadband in Technical; Hiya All Dunno if anyone has come across this problem before, but I dunno who to contact, my ISP or ...
    Thank Post

Help with home broadband

Hiya All

Dunno if anyone has come across this problem before, but I dunno who to contact, my ISP or BT wholesale.

Right, I keep checking samknows.com and keep hoping my connection will go from 1.5 mbps to at least 2mbps, but i checked it the other day and it has dropped to 0.5mbps and i am experiencing drop outs on my internet connection. I think this is because i currently have a 1 mbps connection but if my line is 0.5mbps (checked on both bt wholesale and samknows) then surely having a higher connection than what the line can take you will get drop outs.

Also, this thing about how far you are from the exchange depends on what speed you can get is a load of all tosh... I am closer to the exchange to some people i know, and still i am getting low speeds.

Who do I contact? If I contact my ISP (tiscali) they say it is a BT problem, but if i contact BT they say it is an ISP problem.

Can anyone help??

Tim

Thank Post
    Hi,

BT Wholesale won't talk to you as you aren't their customer, so don't waste your time.

Forget what the checkers say, forget about this tosh about distance from the exchange being the be-all-and-end-all for line speed.

Log onto your router, get hold of the downstream and upstream sync, attenuation, and signal to noise ratio (SNR) and paste them here.

Tiscali are notorious for screwing this sort of stuff up, I helped someone over on Tiscali User recently who had his line speed capped "because they/BT thought it would be best" but that once the profile was reset it's increased by 100%.

I'm struggling to follow your 0.5mbit 1mbit stuff but basically as the downstream line sync speed increases, it pushes the signal to noise margin down which is where you start to get your drop outs as over a period of 24hrs it may fluctuate several dB's and if it hits 0 you lose, game over etc.

With your line stats, we'll know more.

Also, it's worth comparing your stats to what you get when plugged directly into the test socket located behind the master socket.

Hope this helps.

*yes ADSL is one of my outside hobbies
    Last edited by kmount; 19th September 2008 at 08:28 PM. Reason: changed uncapped for profile reset.

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,217 Times in 1,635 Posts
    Firstly, I'd try this BT page to find out what speed BT reckon you can get on your line (your phone number is better than your post code)

BT Total Broadband speed test - get up to 8Mb download speeds!

If this disagrees with the speed you're getting, you probably need to start with your ISP and then BT... but they'll probably try to blame each other

I have major hassles with my line. Especially when they opened it up to the full 8Meg and apparently I could have 1 at the time. Allegedly I can get 2.5Meg now... must test it again!

EDIT

sounds like kmount is way ahead of me on this

PS is Leeds/York area Harrogate?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,572 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Your broadband speed is based on several factors - firstly all broadband companies advertise speeds using the term upto 8Mbps (for example). Secondly your distance from the exchange is influential as is the quality of your phone line.

Tiscali to say the least do not have a fantastic reputation, but they have a fabulous marketing team (hence the high take up of their services).

How far are you from your exchange? What are you using to receive broadband - a USB modem or router? If a router, do you use wireless?

For the record, you should contact your ISP. You pay them for a service across the BT network. Unless they are unable to resolve your connectivity problems, they have a duty of care to contact BT on your behalf (in the event a BT engineer was required).

I'll try and help you best as I can The best way to deal with ISPs is to cover all the basics they ask you first, otherwise they will send you around in circles. Most call centres involve people reading information on a screen with little or no technical expertise.

Thank Post
    Thanks for the responses.

See the attachment for the router stats.

The BT total broadband says that i can only get 0.5mbps. "We've just tested your line and can confirm your line supports the UK's most complete broadband package, BT Total Broadband. We estimate your maximum download speed to be 0.5 Mbps (Megabits per second)."

The distance from the exchange is 2.13km. "You are approximately 2.13km from the exchange. Note that this is the straight line distance." Again, infomation is from samknows.com.

I am connected to the router via wireless but i have no problem with the connection round the house. The problem has only begun since the stats reporters told me i could only get 0.5mbps.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thank Post
    Hi,

Looking at your sync speed you are on a fixed 1mbit package which should be giving you around 115-120KByte/s from somewhere like Zen Internet - Test Files - If it isn't, it's not your lines fault, its either contention or you have been 'capped' like the chap I spoke to on tiscaliuser. - A quick call sorted that out for him armed with the right words.

If you were to regrade to an "up to 8mbit" package assuming that 11.5dB doesn't change over the course of the day you could expect closer to 2mbit but if it was to, you'd probably be going into an even more unstable connection.

Just to allay something, the checkers are guesses, I'm not aware of any consumer checker which performs a whoosh test on your line to establish the SNR/Attenuation of the current platform.

As you're downstream attenuation is 55dB the max it can be for a 2mbit fixed line package is 43dB which is why the checker isn't interested.

Tiscali aren't known for their greatness in dealing with technical issues, but you could give them a go, I know the guy who runs the technical support team for freedom2surf and Nildram if you want me to get him to give you a ring?

Failing that, you have Be* LLU available at your exchange so you could try your luck on an ADSL2+ circuit to try your luck, checkers reckon for 55dB downstream attenuation you could get between 2 and 4mbit. - http://www.bethere.co.uk/

Thank Post
    Is your netgear this model if so have a read of the following article.

Netgear DG834(G) (Version 1, 2 and 3 have Texas Instruments AR7 Chipset,)

ISP blows the whistle on router chip 'fault' ? The Register

Rob

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,728 Times in 1,491 Posts
    Blog Entries
    How would you know your line is capped please?

Thanks

Thank Post
    It depends.

If you're on an "up to 8mbit" package commonly referred to as ADSL Max then you won't necessarily be capped, but you may have a stuck profile. You can check your profile at Test Result - This link won't work if you are on a Datastream or LLU connection.

If you are on a fixed line speed package, be it 512k, 1mbit, or 2mbit but you _never_ achieve speeds anywhere near the figure regardless of the time of day etc then it's possible you are capped by your ISP for whatever reason and the best bet is to check with them showing speedtests and as much evidence as you can find, line stats etc to prove your case and they may look into it.

These days, a lot of the old 'fixed' line users have moved over onto the variable up to 8mbit package as to get a fixed line speed one's line has to meet certain criteria but the speed itself is normally achievable on an "up to" package without the need for testing.

Who is your ISP and are you on a fixed or upto package?

Thank Post
    Bog Tiscali off. I switched to Plus.net and they leave them standing, as well as having excellent customer support (7pm on a Sunday, and they call to check I'm connected OK? Damn good)

The last straw with the T-monkeys came when I was suffering awful speeds (sub-dialup) for a week, and blocked ports. When I complained that I couldn't mail,FTP or RAdmioin into work over VPN, they told me that if I was VPN'ing for work, I really needed a "business" package as the home packages weren't designed for it.

Total bloody monkeys. Their speeds were abysmal at the best of times.

Thank Post
    Just an update on this issue.

Thanks for the responses. The link "test result" which takes me to speedtester.bt.com states that i can only get 512mbps on my home connection. I know that we are not on a capped connection from Tiscali.

Last night the internet was awful! I was trying to download a basic 16mb file last night and the speed was about 2.3K/Bs. I managed to get onto speedtest.net after 15mins of waiting and did a speed test. I got 186kbps where as my upload was 225kbps, this was at 18:33. I tried multiple times to do a speed test, but i couldn't browse to ANY sites. We rang tiscali and they were saying that we needed to ring an 0871 number, even though i was finding alternatives on saynoto0870.com. We got incontact with BT to see what they could offer us, they said that we could only get 0.5mbps. Now this is what i dont understant. 6 months ago, we could get 1.5mbps. Why has someone "downgraded" our bandwidth? Does anyone know of a contact number i can ring regarding this issue? I'm guessing it is at the exchange site as BT and Tiscali are all reporting that i can only get 0.5mbps.

Thanks

Tim
    Last edited by timbo343; 25th September 2008 at 08:53 AM.

Thank Post
    They are correct in only offering you a 0.5mbit connection because your attenuation is above the threshold for 1mbit. - Line's do detoriate etc with time/stressors which isn't helpful in your case.

The alternative is to apply for a ADSLMax connection (upto8mbit) which doesn't have limits based on your attenuation etc so your line will go at whatever rate it can.

Thank Post
    Right ok, well doing a bit of research, i found this... Broadband/ADSL SNR dropping in the evening. SNRM (Noise) causing internet connection to drop It might be worth changing my router... as i have got the DG834PN.

Thank Post
    That will help you more if you move to an "up to" package because the SNR is the key to unlocking higher speeds.

It probably won't help you in getting a faster fixed line (ie. more than the 0.5mbit you're being offered) as that's done purely on Attenuation.

Worth trying another brand of router though in general as they tend to return slightly diff things

Thank Post
    How much telephone cable/extension lead is there between your main box where the phone line enters your house, and how many ASDL splitters are there in between?

In the past I have a non digital Virgin connection which I use for broadband, but as this is no good for TV I have subscribed to SKY for more telly choice and a + Box.

Therefore I have took their 8 meg over phone line option, connecting to the main socket directly I'm getting around 5 meg, but I don't think my phone lines much cop anyway. If I move the kit and plug in at an extension point in the living room this drops to half a meg!!

Just thinking it's something you could try and if it's better then run a long RJ45 to you main PC or connect wirelessly.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast