+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Blackberry Outlook web access snyc issues in Technical; One of our staff has just bought a blackberry phone (which is shockingly bad IMO!) and wanted to synchronize with ...
    Thank Post

Blackberry Outlook web access snyc issues

One of our staff has just bought a blackberry phone (which is shockingly bad IMO!) and wanted to synchronize with his school email. I notice there's no 'activesync' option on the blackberry's but there seems to be an outlook web access sync option?

I've tried entering all of the relevant details to sync (and we have outlook web access running for other users with a valid signed certificate). Details as follows :-

Account Type: Outlook Web Access
    Email Address: a.smith@rgc.aberdeen.sch.uk
    User Name: companyname\smitha
    Password: ****** (For security the password is not displayed.)
    Mail Server: http(s)://companydomain.com/exchange

I've tried entering the mail server with and without secure login info but neither works? Any ideas other than tell the guy to bin the blackberry and get an activesync capable device?

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,258 Times in 789 Posts
    Blog Entries
    are you using exchange 2007, as I think thats required for this?

The other option is to sync him up using imap

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    are you using exchange 2007, as I think thats required for this?

The other option is to sync him up using imap
    We're currently running exchange 2003. I'm not especially keen to start opening up IMAP/POP3 access to the server as every other device (windows mobile/iphone) works perfectly with 'activesync'.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    yes, but thats a M$ protocol, and if you've any intention of letting them use a blackberry you'll have to...

Whats the aversion to imap anyway? its not a particularly threat-filled protocol.

Its either that or install Blackberry Enterprise Server (which is a bit OTT for 1 user....)

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Domino View Post
    yes, but thats a M$ protocol, and if you've any intention of letting them use a blackberry you'll have to...

Whats the aversion to imap anyway? its not a particularly threat-filled protocol.

Its either that or install Blackberry Enterprise Server (which is a bit OTT for 1 user....)
    I guess you're probably right regarding IMAP but it seems like slight overkill punching holes in the firewall to enable an entire protocol for a single device/user. I'll have a hunt on the web and see if there's any way to get OWA sync'ing via it.

Thank Post
    Just to update this thread it looks like the problem is related to that fact we're running Microsoft ISA 2004 as our proxy/firewall. No fix available or planned by the sound of it

Error message received when integrating a Microsoft Outlook Web Access 2003 or 2007 account
    Doc ID : KB04804
    Last Modified : 12-02-2008
    Document Type : Support

Overview

When trying to integrate a Microsoft Outlook Web Access 2003 or 2007 account with the BlackBerry Internet Service, you receive the following error message:

A connection could not be established to /exchange/. Please check that the servername is correct and that the server is available.

You are unable to integrate the account.

Note: In some cases, the account may integrate and become invalid shortly after the initial integration.

Cause

The Microsoft Outlook Web Access source server is using a Microsoft Internet Security and Acceleration Server (ISA Server 2004). This feature is causing the failure to validate.

To check if the Microsoft Outlook Web Access source server is using a Microsoft ISA Server,

1. Go to the web address of the Microsoft Outlook Web Access account (for example, https://webmail..com/exchange).
    2. Once you are redirected to the Microsoft Outlook Web Access login screen, the web address will change. If you see /CookieAuth.dll has been added to the web address, an ISA Server is present.

Resolution

This is a previously reported issue that has been escalated internally to our development team. No resolution time frame is currently available.

Thank Post

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by flyinghaggis View Post
    Just to update this thread it looks like the problem is related to that fact we're running Microsoft ISA 2004 as our proxy/firewall. No fix available or planned by the sound of it

Error message received when integrating a Microsoft Outlook Web Access 2003 or 2007 account
    Doc ID : KB04804
    Last Modified : 12-02-2008
    Document Type : Support

Overview

When trying to integrate a Microsoft Outlook Web Access 2003 or 2007 account with the BlackBerry Internet Service, you receive the following error message:

A connection could not be established to /exchange/. Please check that the servername is correct and that the server is available.

You are unable to integrate the account.

Note: In some cases, the account may integrate and become invalid shortly after the initial integration.

Cause

The Microsoft Outlook Web Access source server is using a Microsoft Internet Security and Acceleration Server (ISA Server 2004). This feature is causing the failure to validate.

To check if the Microsoft Outlook Web Access source server is using a Microsoft ISA Server,

1. Go to the web address of the Microsoft Outlook Web Access account (for example, https://webmail..com/exchange).
    2. Once you are redirected to the Microsoft Outlook Web Access login screen, the web address will change. If you see /CookieAuth.dll has been added to the web address, an ISA Server is present.

Resolution

This is a previously reported issue that has been escalated internally to our development team. No resolution time frame is currently available.
    I've just a Blackberry Storm and had mine hooked upto OWA 2003 in about 10mins.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by penfold_99 View Post
    I've just a Blackberry Storm and had mine hooked upto OWA 2003 in about 10mins.
    Are you running Microsoft ISA 2004 as your firewall?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by flyinghaggis View Post
    Are you running Microsoft ISA 2004 as your firewall?
    no, smoothwall.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by penfold_99 View Post
    no, smoothwall.
    That's why it works then (did you actually read my last post that you quoted btw)! The problem seems to be specifically if you publish your Exchange Server OWA (whether it's Exchange 2007 or 2003) through Microsft ISA 2004.

IIRC ISA 2004 has a built-in publishing rule for Exchange OWA whereby (rather than actually just forwarding the port like a normal firewall would) it acts as a 'go-between' so that clients outside don't actually get direct access to the exchange server itself . I'm guessing this more secure method of communication is what 'breaks' Blackberry's method of connecting. TBH using OWA a means of synchronising email sounds pretty dubious anyway but then I guess MS aren't going to be to keen to start letting RIM run ActiveSync on Blackberry's anytime soon!
    Last edited by flyinghaggis; 12th February 2009 at 04:30 PM.

Thank Post
    I use the Blackberry internet service to pull my emails via our OWA. Also pulls my Yahoo and Hotmail too.

There's no need for the redirector then.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Have you tried running it through the blackberry express server?

you get one CAL for free

Thank Post
    ok just had the same issue

Exchange 2003 ISA 2006

exchange published through ISA to OWA using ssl

now the good bit

to get it to work get the user of the blackberry to logon to ther BIS account and follow the add email setup picking the OWA option and i will supply the settings

url :https://your.owaURL.com/exchange

for all the other boxs put in there email ie instead of domain\username put username@domain.com
    this is assuming there username is the same as there email address

fill in the password and click next....

that should solve the problem.. getting address book and calander now thats somthing else im still working on it
    the issue is that isa uses forms and rim/blackberrys dont like them

Andy

15. Thanks to woodham from:

adhutton (19th March 2009)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread