+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, Smartboard power adaptor in Technical; ...
    Thank Post

Smartboard power adaptor

I'm pretty sure this has come up before but I can't find the post(s) for love nor money so here's asking again.

I have a couple of Smartboard 500 series units which use the serial adaptor and a keyboard adaptor to provice power. No idea how but the adaptors have walked so I'm trying to find a workable solution that provides power.

I have located some external power supplies but they'll only supply at 4.5 or 6Volts and not the 5volts I need. I called Smartboards support folks in the UK and they provided me with a part number for the USB-FRU usb to power adaptor and from looking around it seems they want way too much @ £45+ for the thing.

Anyone got any more sensible options I can use instead...

Thanks in advance.

Thank Post
    The only way to connect a computer to the Smart 500 series board is with this adaptor which converts serial from the back of the board to usb into the computer. It is a genuine Smart accessory, you can get no branded products that are very similar but we havent found one that works yet. Unlike Promethean Boards, Smart Boards do not have any AC/ DC input for power.

Regards

Phil

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by kpms123 View Post
    The only way to connect a computer to the Smart 500 series board is with this adaptor which converts serial from the back of the board to usb into the computer. It is a genuine Smart accessory, you can get no branded products that are very similar but we havent found one that works yet. Unlike Promethean Boards, Smart Boards do not have any AC/ DC input for power.
    Interesting development then...

I had a couple of multi-voltage power supplies with interchangeable heads and found that setting one to 4.5 Volts and finding the appropriate head provided the necessary juice to run the board. The PSU was rated at 1000mA while the 300mA refused to do anything. Odd seeing as the board has a 5V 80mA rating.

Anyway, short version is it worked... and I'm now a minor deity again.

If anyone reading this decides to give it a try, for the love of Pete, Sue and the kids DO NOT set the voltage above 5Volts! and on your own head be it...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread