+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Hardware Thread, Video Editing Rig in Technical; @somabc: Nah didn't have time to read but just trying to point out that the criteria that the students have ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,075 Times in 766 Posts
    @somabc:
    Nah didn't have time to read but just trying to point out that the criteria that the students have to meet does it warrant spending a fortune on hardware and software?
    PC or Mac? they are both using intel chipsets so the only difference is the o/s and the price?
    You pay's ur money you takes ur choice eh!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by bossman View Post
    @somabc:
    Nah didn't have time to read but just trying to point out that the criteria that the students have to meet does it warrant spending a fortune on hardware and software?
    PC or Mac? they are both using intel chipsets so the only difference is the o/s and the price?
    You pay's ur money you takes ur choice eh!
    Indeed

Psystar Corporation - Information Technology and Communication Consultants

Mac Pro on the cheap?

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by somabc View Post
    is a mac mini powerful enough? I don't really do a lot of HD video editing but I would have though a mac mini would struggle.

@bossman did you read the reviews for t@b ZS4?

What about Cinelerra? Its probably better than most free video editing software?
    Depends on how much editing and format conversion is going on. For most school uses I'd say the mac mini is probably fine. We us mostly G4 eMac's here and never get any complaints. I'd put an extra gig of RAM in if it was me.

Software? The Mac Mini comes with the best video editing software IMHO, iMovie. Although I'd download the free iMovieHD from Apples website rather than use the latest v7.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by somabc View Post
    is a mac mini powerful enough? I don't really do a lot of HD video editing but I would have though a mac mini would struggle.
    My Mac Mini seems to run fine, and that's an old model that cost me £200 off eBay (including screen, keyboard, mouse, USB add-on, wireless - hmm, maybe eBay is your best bet?).

--
    David Hicks

Thank Post
    If you go the PC route and are looking at editing packages I'd avoid Pinnacle.
    I put that in at my last school and it was rubbish. I ended up putting Cyberlink Power Director on which came free with the video cameras we bought. This worked much better and was simple to use.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SteveT View Post
    We use Macs with big external HDDs to save work to. I wouldn't want video files being saved across the network as it would slow it down to a crawl. Think about it ........... bell goes and 30 kids click save on files between 1G and 3G!!!

Macs well worth the extra money in this case IMHO.
    What about VLANing the editing workstations, or even localising the file server/NAS head to a managed gigabit switch where all editing machines are connected. You'd still need either 10gbps or giganit link aggregation at the server, but quad port gigabit adapters have come down a lot in price.

the issue is whether after that first save, where a new editing project is created and then 3-5gb of work is saved, at each subsequent modification of that project saves only what's changed...therefoe only copying over the network what's changed since the initial save. Not sure applications like imovie can work like that.

Editing locally means having to manage that file sprawl....ofcourse you can schedule a copy to be done from every machine at the end of a day to a central file server, but i think the networked video option is feasible, so long as you invest in suitable network hardware and storage.

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12