Poll: Smartboard or Promethean?

+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Promethean vs Smartboard in Technical; Hi all What do you prefer, Smart or Promethean IWS's? Myself i like the Smarboard. Z...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,811 Times in 1,559 Posts
    Blog Entries

Promethean vs Smartboard

Hi all

What do you prefer, Smart or Promethean IWS's? Myself i like the Smarboard.

Z

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,069 Times in 934 Posts
    Im a Smart guy myself, but there is a place for promethean, but I must admit I haven't found a that is the only place they go kind of setup yet.

Thank Post
    Never used a Promethean. I don't have a problem with Smartboards.

Thank Post
    Blog Entries
    we have both promethean and smartboards.. and i must say i like the smart boards better

although the promethean come in very handy when you cant get a projector on the ceiling

James.

Thank Post
    Do Promethean support Linux yet?

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by john View Post
    Im a Smart guy myself, but there is a place for promethean...
    There most certainly is a place for Promethean Activboards and it's called a skip

We bought a batch 20 Promthean boards last summer and 25% of them failed in the first year. The drivers and software are a royal PITA to deploy thanks to the fact that Promethean want to screw you for more money to hand over their 'special networked' version of the software. That and the activpens that come with the boards seem to break after about 6 months of use and at £30 each it's no laughing matter when you've got to buy replacement pens for 25 boards!
    We've bought a Smartboard 680i2 recently for testing and I'm amazed anyone bothers with Promethean these days given how much better designed and built the Smartboard is!
    Last edited by flyinghaggis; 3rd September 2008 at 12:34 AM.

Thank Post
    we have both smart and promethian, and I have to say SMART wins hands down, but the ultimate kicker is the pens!! at least if the teachers loose the pens with the smart board its not just a peice of junk, you can use anything, an old dried up whiteboard marker, finger anything!! but the promethian is useless without its pen and there far to expensive to just replace every time a teacher misplaces one or breaks one.

*rant off*

Ohh i feel better for that already lol

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,811 Times in 1,559 Posts
    Blog Entries
    This might sounds weird, but i have found Smartboard pens don't get lost as often as Promethean.

Thank Post
    ill tell you why they dont go missing as much, the kids know with a promethian board that if they steal the pen the teacher cant use the IWB for that lesson, with a smartboard it doesnt matter, so they dont bother as much.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,602 Times in 1,278 Posts
    I've used both and Smart are easily better. The setup procedure is easier and is a true plug 'n play experience through USB. The software and teaching tools are also more developed. The Smart boards are also considerably lighter than their Promethean equivalents. When carrying a Promethean, it feels like a child is hanging on the end!

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by FN-GM View Post
    This might sounds weird, but i have found Smartboard pens don't get lost as often as Promethean.
    I suspect that's because they don't get used so much - seeing as teachers and pupils tend to use their fingers instead.

Our cabling team have spent the last couple of weeks re-presenting bodged SMARTBoard cabling installed a few years back by another company (many metres of VGA, USB and audio cables coiled up on the floor - a lovely health and safety trip hazard!).

Steve

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,636 Times in 1,825 Posts
    This has been discussed before - and I said it then and I will say it again......
    Smartboards win hands down over Prometheans. One of my schools have Smarts, one Prometheans and I have NEVER had a problem with a Smart board. Prometheans on the other hand...lose drivers, vga cables go, power supplies blow up - the list is endless.

Thank Post
    2 of my schools have Smartboards and one has Promethean (the head decided that they were "more durable").

Smart wins hands down: ease of use, no problems with the drivers getting lost/forgotten (and having to do a non-standard reinstall when it happens), even the (much-maligned on here) software is a lot better, especially the provided content - and as for the pens on the Prometheans...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,859 Times in 1,252 Posts
    Blog Entries
    My old school used to have Promethean and the connections were always disappearing along with drivers. The pens broke way to easily and were a fortune to replace. They were a nightmare.

Smart boards at my current place have been great though we are starting to have some trouble with the older ones. A couple have gone really wacky and don't follow the pen at all which I guess is something to do with the membrane being damaged.

But on the whole, Smartboards win (though Smarts' documentation is dreadful).

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EduTech View Post
    although the promethean come in very handy when you cant get a projector on the ceiling
    I believe SmartBoard also have installations that can be used in these situations.

At my old school we had ActivBoards and I have to say they were a nightmare. Not least trying to replace the pens when they went missing. But things like dodgy matrixes?

There was a few times we got the chaps out to repair some boards and they said "they can't do anything as there is a power socket on the other side of the wall which is interfering with the matrix".

New school is mainly SmartBoards and I have to say, they are so much easier. They just work. It's easier to roll the software out to machines.... lose a pen? no problem, use your finger..... and so far I have had no problem with matrixes!

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast