Poll: Smartboard or Promethean?

+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Promethean vs Smartboard in Technical; I have not had the experience of working with Smartboards only Promethean but all the same have had very little ...

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,062 Times in 753 Posts
    I have not had the experience of working with Smartboards only Promethean but all the same have had very little problem with them they just work.

As I have 43 soon to be 45 I deploy the drivers and software over the network and they work very well.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,318 Times in 800 Posts
    Blog Entries
    EduBottle the prometheans to hell tbh for me
    They fail often (we had a 25% failure rate within a year of install) and the software is not the best shall we say.

BTW moved this thread to Hardware where I think it should be?

Thank Post
    Work in a number of primary schools, with a mix of both boards (and others) Smartboards seem to come out on top as far as teachers are concreaned.

As for me, yep, smartboards as well

Thank Post
    I'm quite surprised (and pleased) by this. I always liked Smartboards better but I thought I was in a minority

Thank Post
    Smartboards here, considering the number of them we have they cause hardly any trouble.

I've always felt Smart is the way to go unless you can forsee furniture being bounced off boards.

Thank Post
    Another vote for Smartboards here. We've only got the one, the rest of the school is Promethean but I always preferred the Smart software.

Thank Post
    You see, I would have voted for an 'other' option. I've done a couple of board evaluations and never chosen either. I've not looked at Smart for a while and I know their products have got better since I last looked so I wouldn't like to comment. The Promethean boards seemed very good and of a sturdy construction, but they certainly didn't warrant the £300 premium over the Interwrite boards that I've standardised on here.

I know a certain element is the software but I've been lucky enough to have had staff that had used neither Smart or Promethean's tools

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,568 Times in 1,250 Posts
    On the subject of whiteboards does anyone know where I can purchase 2 power supplies for a Promethean board, other than from Promethean themselves? From the people I've spoken to they cost a fortune!

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,051 Times in 920 Posts
    eBay, or perhaps CPC they will sell generic PSUs that will do the job, but obviosuly if you have board warranty or anything like that it will void it so do make sure the boards warranty is out before using a generic PSU.

Thank Post
    We're a promethean only school(decision made before I joined), we've been fairly lucky. I've only encountered 2 problems so far - one of our boards kept blowing psu's due to a faulty controller board and one of our newly installed +2's has a faulty vga switcher.

I'm not sure how but none of our teachers have managed to lose a pen although I have taken all of the spares away this summer(1 per board)

Software wise I've never really had any problems, they just work

We currently have 21 boards accross 2 sites.

Thank Post
    45 Promeatheans here and have no / very little problems with them. Drivers are sent out across the network and install fine.

Training is put on reguarly for new and interested staff to ensure the boards are getting used.

To be honest, if you spend that sort of money you need to spend the time putting in place the necessary training. Regardless of what manufacturer is chosen.

Thank Post
    There is always this option if you cant ceiling mount a projector:

Link

I have to say that I have always liked the smarts but my boss decided to ask the teachers which ones they wanted and they picked the promethian on looks oh well

tjb
    Thank Post
    We have 50 Prometheans here (not my decision!) and we have had very little problems with them, a couple of failed PSUs and a few faulty pens but all were replaced under warranty. We did get a ACTIVboard +2 for one room and I wouldn't ever buy another one! We can buy them directly from Dell Australia so the support is the same as other Dell products.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tjb View Post
    We have 50 Prometheans here (not my decision!) and we have had very little problems with them, a couple of failed PSUs and a few faulty pens but all were replaced under warranty. We did get a ACTIVboard +2 for one room and I wouldn't ever buy another one! We can buy them directly from Dell Australia so the support is the same as other Dell products.
    What problems have you found with the ACTIVBoard +2? We have 20 and have had no issues at all with them apart from a couple of failed PSU's in the first week of installation.

Thank Post
    another Promethean school here... never had any major probs with them - 1 duff power supply and thats it.

Software is painless to install and easy to use, but then again I have done all the Activ Board courses the lack of a free msi is a royal pain, but then again the drivers go on my IWB pc image so msi'ing the drivers isn't that important at the moment.

More importantly the teachers here like them and as they use them far more than any of us techs, I'll tend to listen to them. I really couldn't care less how tricky or not a piece of kit is to install, here if a teacher wants something because its the 'best' piece of kit to teach with and enhance their lessons, they get it. It's my job to get it work reliably for them.

also £30 for a Promethean pen? we found a source that supplies them at £4 or £5...

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast