+ Post New Thread
Hardware Thread, hot server shutdown solution. in Technical; I hope everyone had a nice holiday, I know I did, I even got married. Now I'm back though I ...
    Thank Post

hot server shutdown solution.

I hope everyone had a nice holiday, I know I did, I even got married.

Now I'm back though I need to know if anyone knows of a solution to shut down multiple servers if my new aircon in the server room dies. I friend over the road has a system that contacts you, but I need something that will kill the servers if the room temp gets above 40C as I reckon time to meltdown will be under 10 minutes from failure.

Oh and as always cost is very much an issue.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,259 Times in 790 Posts
    Blog Entries
    these are very good CliMate CM-2 Rack Environmental Monitoring Unit

you might be able to get them cheaper through another supplier - but with this kind of thing you're gonna have to pay something to get a useable system....

3. Thanks to Domino from:

ICT_GUY (2nd September 2008)

Thank Post

Thumbs up Try OpManager free edition

Have you had a look at OpManager Free Edition? (ManageEngine OpManager - Free Small Network Edition & Professional Trial Edition Feature Comparison)
    This lets you monitor upto 10 devices, with HP Servers it has builtin SNMP details for temperature, when things reach a critical point you can schedule emails and running of scripts. Uisng this I've been able to ask remote sites to check aircon when it's failed before things have gone too far since my crack-berry has alterted me to problems.

5. Thanks to tonyd from:

Thank Post
    Does not say it will shut them down, the servers are located away from my office and there is no way for me to get to them from home before they melt, so its essential that whatever I use will kill them asap.

Thank Post
    I wonder if there is the option within the bios of the HP servers? If there was would this be good enough?

Hmmm.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by tonyd View Post
    Have you had a look at OpManager Free Edition? (ManageEngine OpManager - Free Small Network Edition & Professional Trial Edition Feature Comparison)
    This lets you monitor upto 10 devices, with HP Servers it has builtin SNMP details for temperature, when things reach a critical point you can schedule emails and running of scripts. Uisng this I've been able to ask remote sites to check aircon when it's failed before things have gone too far since my crack-berry has alterted me to problems.
    Sounds good, so I could run an automated shutdown script.

Thank Post
    Thanked 1,259 Times in 790 Posts
    Blog Entries
    if you use HP ILO (integrated lights out) you can remote power down, start, etc from a webpage, or other alerts

However you do need an extra per machine licence for it

10. Thanks to Domino from:

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,695 Times in 2,285 Posts
    Blog Entries
    What kind of UPS units do you use. A fair few of the larger units support addin cards or have environmental monitoring built in. Our UPS system it simply setup to run the same safe shutdown on the servers if the room gets hot that it would do if the power went.

The issue with the BIOS settings are that it is an emergency power down and is not polite about informing the OS or services. It will just kill the server immediatly to save the hardware.

12. Thanks to SYNACK from:

theeldergeek
    Quote Originally Posted by ICT_GUY View Post
    I hope everyone had a nice holiday
    Holiday????? gah!!!

One of the many things I never look forward to when teachers and term only staff come back from their excessive break is "did you have a nice holiday"

Errr, no, I've been here, 9 hours a day, every day, inc some weekends, putting right what you will undoubtedly break sometime in the next few hours!!!

Sorry, PCounter isn't going right....

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by SYNACK View Post
    What kind of UPS units do you use. A fair few of the larger units support addin cards or have environmental monitoring built in. Our UPS system it simply setup to run the same safe shutdown on the servers if the room gets hot that it would do if the power went.

The issue with the BIOS settings are that it is an emergency power down and is not polite about informing the OS or services. It will just kill the server immediatly to save the hardware.
    Cheap ass ups ones.

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tx2online View Post
    Holiday????? gah!!!

One of the many things I never look forward to when teachers and term only staff come back from their excessive break is "did you have a nice holiday"

Errr, no, I've been here, 9 hours a day, every day, inc some weekends, putting right what you will undoubtedly break sometime in the next few hours!!!

Sorry, PCounter isn't going right....
    No, actually I had to work in the holidays, there was the couple of hours that it took to shut the servers down, then I had to come in another day to paint my office, and wait... nah that's pretty much it

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by ICT_GUY View Post
    I need to know if anyone knows of a solution to shut down multiple servers if my new aircon in the server room dies.
    I had several companies try to sell us the InterSeptor monitoring and alerts device. Looked like a decent product, too, and I seem to remember it as being around £300 (we're just too cheap to buy it). Also, a quick Google search for "USB temperature sensor" turns up a couple of devices that look like they could be plugged in to a PC and left to run, with a script checking their status every minute or so. Around £100, it looked like.

--
    David Hicks

17. Thanks to dhicks from:

ICT_GUY (4th September 2008)

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread