+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Hardware Thread, Acer Laptops - Repair a FAILED BIOS Update in Technical; Hi, Well my GF's Acer Aspire 5720 doesn’t always connect to the router at home, so I guessed it was ...

Thank Post

Acer Laptops - Repair a FAILED BIOS Update

Hi,

Well my GF's Acer Aspire 5720 doesn’t always connect to the router at home, so I guessed it was the wireless drivers, as my iPhone and sisters laptop always connect fine.

After an update, which didn’t solve the problem, I thought I would try a BIOS update, V1.17 to V1.42 - quite an upgrade.

Well the winFlash file opened, erased the bios, then failed on "VALIDATE FAILED" error AFTER ERASING THE BIOS FFS!

Press the power button, hard drive cycles continuously, screen doesn’t turn on, it was a brick.

After some reading I found something quite fantastic, if your laptop has a PHOENIX BIOS, you can do the following to revive it from being a brick.

1. Download the BIOS from the manufacturer’s site, preferably the version that worked originally.
    2. Burn ONLY the .FD file to the CD.
    3. Remove the Battery and Power Cable from the laptop.
    4. Open the CD Drive with a Pin (Push a pin into the hole on the drive to force an eject)
    5. Put the CD with the original .FD BIOS file into the drive.
    6. Hold the FN and ESCAPE keys down.
    7. Plug the MAINS LEAD ONLY into the laptop.
    8. Press the power button whilst still holding the keys.
    a. This will FORCE the computer to load the .FN file from the CD and write it to the BIOS of the machine.
    9. The laptop will power up, you can release the keys; leave the laptop for 20-30 minutes if needed.
    10. The computer will turn itself off once complete.
    11. Re-insert the battery, power on the laptop.
    12. It works
    a. In my case – Happy GF.

I tried the version that failed the update on my laptop first, and it did not install, I downloaded the 1.19 version (closest I could find for my BIOS to 1.17 [original]) and it worked.

Hope this works for anyone that experiences this problem, thought it was a pretty awesome fix, and worth people knowing.

Read also that you can do this with desktop PC’s if you hold CTRL and Escape when pressing the power button, but don’t want to create the problem just to fix it.

Regards,
    Psy

2. 9 Thanks to Psymon:

apoth0r (8th January 2010), kevbaz (14th January 2010), leco (1st September 2008), mac_shinobi (8th August 2009), Oaktech (26th July 2011), speckytecky (3rd May 2012), SYNACK (2nd September 2008), Zoom7000 (30th April 2009)

Thank Post
    Thanks I have some of these machines so it may very well come in handy - another tool in the knowledge box

Thank Post

Exclamation

Hi

I try that method above in my Acer Aspire 5920 but it's seen didn't work...

anyone who have original BIOS driver for Acer Aspire 5920 please help...I need that for last tries...

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 2,187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Don't trust floppy drives, they are just as likely to ruin your day by corrupting the BIOS file before you get to write it. I use bootable USB for prefference and bootable CD if it does not support USB booting. Much more reliable.

Thank Post

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Psymon View Post
    Hi,

Well my GF's Acer Aspire 5720 doesn’t always connect to the router at home, so I guessed it was the wireless drivers, as my iPhone and sisters laptop always connect fine.

After an update, which didn’t solve the problem, I thought I would try a BIOS update, V1.17 to V1.42 - quite an upgrade.

Well the winFlash file opened, erased the bios, then failed on "VALIDATE FAILED" error AFTER ERASING THE BIOS FFS!

Press the power button, hard drive cycles continuously, screen doesn’t turn on, it was a brick.

After some reading I found something quite fantastic, if your laptop has a PHOENIX BIOS, you can do the following to revive it from being a brick.

1. Download the BIOS from the manufacturer’s site, preferably the version that worked originally.
    2. Burn ONLY the .FD file to the CD.
    3. Remove the Battery and Power Cable from the laptop.
    4. Open the CD Drive with a Pin (Push a pin into the hole on the drive to force an eject)
    5. Put the CD with the original .FD BIOS file into the drive.
    6. Hold the FN and ESCAPE keys down.
    7. Plug the MAINS LEAD ONLY into the laptop.
    8. Press the power button whilst still holding the keys.
    a. This will FORCE the computer to load the .FN file from the CD and write it to the BIOS of the machine.
    9. The laptop will power up, you can release the keys; leave the laptop for 20-30 minutes if needed.
    10. The computer will turn itself off once complete.
    11. Re-insert the battery, power on the laptop.
    12. It works
    a. In my case – Happy GF.

I tried the version that failed the update on my laptop first, and it did not install, I downloaded the 1.19 version (closest I could find for my BIOS to 1.17 [original]) and it worked.

Hope this works for anyone that experiences this problem, thought it was a pretty awesome fix, and worth people knowing.

Read also that you can do this with desktop PC’s if you hold CTRL and Escape when pressing the power button, but don’t want to create the problem just to fix it.

Regards,
    Psy
    Hello

where i can get the .FD bios file .. Acer site gives two options windows install or through dos

booth does not contain file with extention .DF
    please help

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Gibbo View Post
    Acer have recently changed their downloads site so it may have been removed or changed.
    I did this quite a while ago (as dated), i just went to the Acer website, which as above mentioned it has been redesigned. And just downlaoded the bios from the drop down menus on the site.

Si

Thank Post
    Quote Originally Posted by wmaa69 View Post
    Hello

where i can get the .FD bios file .. Acer site gives two options windows install or through dos

booth does not contain file with extention .DF
    please help
    Just had a go, downlaoded the 1.45 BIOS for the Aspire 5720. Insize the ZIP were 2 files.

BIOS_v1.45.exe
    Readme.txt

Using WinRAR i unzipped the BIOS_v1.45.exe and inside it was the following.

CL50145A.fd (File you are after)
    InsydeFlash.exe
    iscflash.dll
    iscflash.sys
    iscflashx64.sys
    platform.ini

Using my solution above you should just have to burn ONLY the CL50145A.fd to a CD-R.

If you are struggling to get the FD file still just PM me your email address and the laptop model, ill get the FD file over to you in a ZIP.

Si

Thank Post
    I man i have the sem problem can anyone help me pleass i have a acer travelmate 4650 end i have flash the bios te upgrad now me leptop don't turn on only a black scren end the AC light pleas help me to flash the bios end send me the bios.zip end instruction pleasss end tell me how to flash it with CD ore USB i don't have i USB Floppy ok pleass

Thank Post
    Hi
    I have an Acer Travelmate 4000 with some strange boot behavior (not mine, belongs to a friend).
    The screen will lit up, POST normally, can enter BIOS, and then when it has to boot, black screen, nothing happens. Tried to remove the HDD, CD, and same result, not even an error.
    I activated the F12 (boot menu) key in BIOS, but when i press it, same result, black screen.
    Was thinking to do a BIOS update, hoping that this will also reset the BIOS, but on the Acer webpage I can only download a Windows app that will flash the BIOS from Windows (WinPhlash). In the install directory of this program there is a file ZL1I3A10.WPH (514Kb), but I'm not sure if I can use it safely, since I suspect it has been written specially for this program and I'm afraid not to damage the laptop more then it is already (even though, atm, for all purposes, it is a brick).
    Any ideas?
    All help will be appreciated

Thank Post
    -bump-

Thank Post
    Thanked 2,570 Times in 2,187 Posts
    Blog Entries
    The Bios updates on this page Acer Europe - Service & Support, Drivers & Utilities, Downloads, Notebook, Acer TravelMate 4000 Series appear to have a dos folder in them too with the same wph file as the windows one. Also given the size of 512kb (size of a flash rom chip) I suspect that they are both just standard bin images and should work in the same way if supported by your laptop (may need to rename it to a .fd). At own risk of corse

Have you tried booting with an external moniter to check if it is a dodgy video link at higher resolutions to the LCD?
    Last edited by SYNACK; 14th January 2010 at 10:42 AM.

Thank Post
    That's cool! I'm always terrified of updating bios. Especially on gigabyte boards, the english on their site and windows based bios programs is terrible!

Thank Post
    I have already tried an external monitor with the same results (tried it before posting but I forgot to mention it). The laptop just won't boot from any device.
    I also got an USB floppy drive, made a bootable disk from Windows (format + check "create MS-DOS start-up disk") and copied the 3 files from the DOS folder from the .zip file linked above. Started with the Fn+Esc keys pressed, the laptop will start without displaying anything, beep a few times, lit up the floppy for a few sec (just like on normal boot), and in the end do nothing. Also tried to change the extension of the .WPH file to .FD and nothing.

Running out of ideas...

15. Thanks to Shatter from:

atmanobal (3rd May 2012)

Thank Post
    Hello everyone,
    I was Just updating bios of my Acer ASPIRE one ZG5 (AOA 110-Aw) Intel Atom with 8GB SSD
    because it won't charge battery so I do format my regular flash drive from FAT32 to FAT system and its going perfect to update. Suddenly there is a power breakdown and bios update is hanged and my Laptop is total dead, don't even power on or reply anything. when I put charger plug in then its just blink battery LED and Power LED and then dead,

I try many ways to reboot but its not going to power on
    its SSD, RAM, VGA even every thing is ok and fine so PLEASE HELP ME WHAT CAN I DO TO MAKE IT ALIVE.... PLEASE HELP ME

WAJAHAT NAJAM

Thank Post
    Hi,
    I now have the same problem on my acer aspire 5720g. Trying the suggested steps does not work. It seems that the notebook is reading the USB thumb as it start blinking a little while, but the notebook never powers down (now waited about 10 hours as I went to sleep and left it powered on). Also tried it with CD. Same result.
    If I power it off manually, then it is a brick like before.
    Any hints? It's my parents notebook, so it is pretty urgent :-(
    Thanks,
    Markus

SHARE:
+ Post New Thread
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast